Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:09
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Jan 9, 2011

G'day everyone

Apart from web-based CAT tools that can work via a web-browser app, what options are there for translators who want to use smartphones in a CAT-like environment? Are there CAT tools that run on certain smartphones?

Thanks
Samuel

Direct link Reply with quote

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:09
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
:-O Jan 9, 2011

Uhm,

Just out of curiosity, why would you want to be able to use a CAT tool on a smartphone? Their screens are so small, and their keyboards basically useless; also, netbooks are so cheap these days...

Michael

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oh, just because. Jan 9, 2011

Michael J.W. Beijer wrote:
Why would you want to be able to use a CAT tool on a smartphone? Their screens are so small, and their keyboards basically useless...

The small screen shouldn't be a problem... a resolution of 400x800 should be quite sufficient to view at least a segment plus its direct neighbouring segments. Keyboards can be optimised -- I'm often amazed to see how fast people type on smartphones with two fingers or even with a single stylus.

...also, netbooks are so cheap these days.

Netbooks are gigantic.

[Edited at 2011-01-09 19:06 GMT]

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Another CAT, another set of problems... Jan 9, 2011

I would not expect to do a whole project on a phone, so it would need to be setup and, most importantly, finished on a PC anyway.

That means adding another CAT to the list and the whole conversion/compatibility set of issues. Not worth it, in my opinion, even if you disregard the abysmal speed of input.

If it was just a question of making a simple correction which could not be done any other way, I would probably try some sort of remote desktop - I have been connecting to my PC from my phone using VNC, so I figure I could work in CAT as well.

claude
Thailand
English to French
Very funny Jan 10, 2011

unless it was a serious question, then I got suddenly old. "Netbooks are gigantic", yes sure, for professional translators, what else do you need than a smartphone and google translator, I ... didn't know, sorry ...

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:09
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Wordfast Anywhere, maybe? Jan 10, 2011

But I guess, you know that one.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
CAT on a smartphone? Jan 10, 2011

In my opinion, using CAT tools on a smartphone is like going from London to Moscow riding a pedal trycicle. Yes, you can do it, but it is not what the device was made for. You will advance slowly and exceeding the intended performance rate of the device.

Any reasonably useful in-smartphone CAT tool (not your usual CAT tool used over the web on your home/office computer) will consume a ton of memory and power of your device, and you will end up struggling with your smartphone to slowly translate segments while you have it permanently plugged to a power source, thus defeating the whole idea of a mobile device... and taking us back to the idea of a netbook.

Sorour
Italian to Arabic
+ ...
good idea Jan 10, 2011

good idea for people like me who need to update translations of news in real time: short text, at any time, everywhere.

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Web-based tools Jan 10, 2011

esperantisto wrote:
Wordfast Anywhere, maybe?
But I guess, you know that one.

Yes, I know of Wordfast Anywhere (WFC via the web) and Boltran (OmT via the web), both of which are free and offer pretty much the same or the same basic functionality as their offline counterparts. Both require internet access, however (though that's not a problem in my current country).

I know nothing of mobile operating systems, so I have no way of knowing whether it would be possible to set up standard CAT tools (or e.g. a Boltran server) on a smartphone, hence my question. I might buy a smartphone soon, and I might as well buy one that can do more than just play Tetris in a sligntly higher resolution than my current phone.

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Netbooks are gigantic Jan 10, 2011

claude wrote:
Unless it was a serious question, then I got suddenly old. "Netbooks are gigantic"... I ... didn't know, sorry ...

Well, the good netbooks weigh in at about 1 kg, and they're fairly bulky -- you can't put them in your jacket pocket (both their physical size and their weight make that kinda impossible). So a netbook isn't something that a freelancer would carry with him inbetween office jobs (e.g. when a small minimum rate job comes in that you can quickly do between shops or between extramural activities, or a small update if you have the type of client who sends small updates every hour and can't understand why you aren't always in front of your computer, as he is).

Oh, by the way, while googling I found the perfect netbook for me... but the Korean company that made it went bankrupt last year, so I'll have a hard time finding it.

A large-screen smartphone, on the other hand, (e.g. 4.3" screen, 800x400 resolution) is still small enough and light enough to carry in your pocket. I've had a look at some of the smartbooks out there but it's still a developing concept and not well-represented in the market.

To those who have netbooks -- are these things always-on, and do they let you know instantly when a new mail arrives?

Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
OmegaT runs on the Nokia N900 Jan 10, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:
Apart from web-based CAT tools that can work via a web-browser app, what options are there for translators who want to use smartphones in a CAT-like environment? Are there CAT tools that run on certain smartphones?

OmegaT runs on the Nokia N900.

The original article seems to be down:
http://lukespear.co.uk/2010/07/how-to-cat-tool-translation-on-mobile-phone/

but it's still in Google's cache:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:19jPlq1jJncJ:lukespear.co.uk/2010/07/how-to-cat-tool-translation-on-mobile-phone/%20cat%20tool%20translation%20on%20mobile%20phone&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&client=firefox-a

Didier

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can be reduced functionality Jan 10, 2011

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:
In my opinion, using CAT tools on a smartphone is like going from London to Moscow riding a pedal trycicle. Yes, you can do it, but it is not what the device was made for. You will advance slowly and exceeding the intended performance rate of the device.

I don't see why that would be so. Seven years ago I worked on WFC on a Pentium III with 32 MB RAM and it was just as fast on that machine as WFC is on my current 2.0 GHz TurionX2 laptop with 2 GB RAM. If the CAT tool needs high specs, then of course it would be slower. But apart from that possibility, the only thing that might slow you down is typing speed.

I don't think one would use a smartphone all the time -- it would be for continuing an existing desk-based job on the road, or for updates, or for editing/reviewing, or for small and quick jobs.

In fact, in most (or some) cases, extensive fuzzy matching may not even be necessary to have. If one's TM is TU-per-line based (such as WFC's TM), concordance searches can be done with a grep-like tool. Glossary matching would be more important to me, though if you know the subject field well enough, manual look-ups should still be fine, and if the job need not be delivered immediately, one can always run a QA process on the desk computer later to ensure glossary adherence.

An important thing may be the ability to deliver (before getting back to your desk computer) a file in the client's required format, e.g. uncleaned RTF, TTX etc.

For editing/reviewing, the ability to edit the client's format would be important (e.g. if it is a bilingual CAT format), as would be concordance searching, but fuzzy matching would practically be irrelevant for editing/reviewing.

So I guess a translator with a smartphone would be like a translator with Windows 95 -- don't look for a single program that does it all and that runs on your current operating system, but instead look for smaller programs that can do the individual things.

Mirja Maletzki  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:09
Korean to German
+ ...
Galaxy Tab Jan 12, 2011

I'm not sure if a CAT tool would run on it, but I would like to suggest the Samsung Galaxy Tab. It is pretty much a large smartphone, but not as large a regular tablet computer. It would still fit nicely into a pocket. And let's you make phone calls...

And if you find a CAT tool that runs on smartphones, why not have the biggest display possible? ^^;

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Galaxy Tab Jan 12, 2011

Mirja Maletzki wrote:
I'm not sure if a CAT tool would run on it, but I would like to suggest the Samsung Galaxy Tab. It is pretty much a large smartphone, but not as large a regular tablet computer. It would still fit nicely into a pocket. And let's you make phone calls...

Actually, now that I've seen video's of it, I do like the slide-out keyboards of smartphones like the N900 and the Milestone -- it gives me a keyboard without taking away any of the screen space.

But yes, after a bit of googling I "discovered" things like tablets, and the Galaxy Tab is a nice size (7"). It is a bit too big to fit into a pocket but it will fit into my handbag and it is not too heavy. A tablet looks like a good investment for my needs -- except that the tablet isn't always-on, like a phone. And my e-mail notification via SMS service is quite expensive (paid per SMS).

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Tablets, netbooks, smartphones Jan 12, 2011

Well, tablets are nice, but if you want to get some actual translation done, you're far better off with a netbook. The size difference is not that great and a proper keyboard makes a world of difference. A tablet is a non-starter, really... even if you rigged up a keyboard, there is on CAT software for tablet OSes and I don't think there ever will be one. With tablets, the size is edging up to netbook size, but the functionality is stuck at smartphone level. Worst of both worlds.

If you really wanted to run a CAT on a smartphone, I guess the N900 would be your best bet. IIRC you can run Ubuntu on the N900 (well, sort of), and, as Didier's post above shows, you might even be able to compile a CAT to run natively in Maemo.
Of course this would require a pretty epic hack and it would be foolish to attempt it with much expectation of practical use. The screen is too small, the keyboard is too small, the hardware is not powerful enough, the software, if available at all, is not optimized for the hardware etc.

The most I would expect to be able to do on a tablet or phone is reviewing translations and maybe some terminology research. Tasks that don't require CAT software or lots of typing.

By the way, things may be going the way you'd like them to:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/06/motorola-atrix-4g-hd-multimedia-dock-and-laptop-dock-hands-on/

Note: If you're hell bent on doing desktop tasks on a smartphone, a remote desktop solution might be the best option.

[Edited at 2011-01-12 12:34 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT tools for smartphones

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search