Using a CAT tool after a manual translation
Thread poster: Alexandre Chetrite

Alexandre Chetrite
France
Local time: 23:10
English to French
Jan 12, 2011

Hello,

I started translating an Excel spreadsheet (text) without the use of a CAT tool, but after one hour I would prefer to use a CAT tool. I have MetaTexis PRO.

Do I have to start all over from scratch or can the CAT tool build a TM taking into account what has already been translated? If yes, how to do it?

Thank you.

Direct link Reply with quote

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:10
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aligning Jan 12, 2011

Alexandre Chetrite wrote:

Do I have to start all over from scratch or can the CAT tool build a TM taking into account what has already been translated? If yes, how to do it?

I'm not familiar with MetaTexis specifically, but most CAT suites include a program that can align an existing source and target text and create a TM from them.

Alexandre Chetrite
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
MetaTexis can't align Excel files Jan 13, 2011

Hello again,

Yes I confirm there is an aligning tool in Meta Texis PRO, but it doesn't seem to be able to deal with Excel files..I got weird results trying to align two Excel spreadsheets.

I wonder if it is possible, or should I copy/paste the text within Word and then launch the alignin tool from Word? However I won't be able to continue translating within Word because text is contained within Excel cells.Normally translation should be done using Excel, but MetaTexis only works in Word. (I hope I am not being too complex in my explanations).

Any advice will be very helpful/

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Just Jan 13, 2011

copy the Excel columns into Word and use them for aligning. This should give good resuts.

Natalia

Hermann Bruns  Identity Verified
English to German
Export the Excel file as text file Jan 13, 2011

Hello Alexandra,

to continue with the translation in MetaTexis you would need to execute several steps:

(1) Exporte the segments already translated in Excel as text file (semicolon delimited).

(2) Imporr the exported text file in your MetaTexis TM. (For more details how to do this, see the MetaTexis manual.

(3) Then copy the Excel columns to be translated and paste them in a Word document and translated the Word document with MetaTexis, as usual, using the TM with the imported text file.

(4) Finally, after having produced the cleaned version you can copy and paste the translated columns back from the Word documetn to the Excel document (if this is required).

Best regards
Hermann

Alexandre Chetrite
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
About Importing Comma delimited text file into Meta Texis Jan 13, 2011

Dear Hermann Bruns,

I have the following Save options in Word 2002: CSV (colon delimited), Text (tab delimited) and Text (space delimited). I saved in CSV. As a reminder I have about 100 of Excel vertical celles containing text in the target language already translated.

I tried Importing the CSV in MetaTexis Pro according to the manual but it will only recognize Word files, not CSV.

So I'm stuck from there...

After being able to translate with MetaTexis, would I be able to copy/paste back to Excel cells without the cells headers? They are greyed and visible in Word because of MetaTexis, but I don't want to show them in Excel.

[Edited at 2011-01-13 09:38 GMT]

Alexandre Chetrite
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
About replacing words in MetaTexis Target only Jan 14, 2011

Hello,

I have a problem in Meta Texis, if anybody could help:

I want to replace some terms in the TARGET language only, but when I use the default CTRL+F Find and Replace function in Word, it replaces in both the source and target language...

If I hide the source text in MetaTexis, will it still work , or is there an option to ONLY replace words/text within the TARGET Translation Units?

Please note that I am transling an Excel file that has been imported into Microsoft Word with MetaTexis...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using a CAT tool after a manual translation

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search