CAT tools on MAC (Parallels, VMware Fusion?)
Thread poster: Jeremy Simart
Jeremy Simart
France
Local time: 10:33
English to French
+ ...
Mar 24, 2011

Hi everyone,

I need little advice please. I work on a Mac (OS 10.5.8 / 2GHz Intel / 1Go Ram) and only needed to use Microsoft Office for Mac so far.

Now I'd like to know the best solution to run SDLX, Idiom and Passolo on my Mac.

I know Swordfish is compatible with Trados, but what about Idiom and Passolo? I never used them yet.

So, what would be the best solution to get Idiom and Passolo to work on my Mac then? Should I use Paralles or VMware Fusion? I have read a few reports on both, and Parallels seem to provide the best results.

In that case, I also need to buy a version of Windows (and maybe Microsoft Office?), right?
Which one would you advise? I'm totally new to Windows...

Thanks a lot in advance for helping me sorting that out!

Direct link Reply with quote

Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:33
English to Spanish
Swordfish is compatible with Idiom Mar 24, 2011

Jeremy Simart wrote:

I know Swordfish is compatible with Trados, but what about Idiom and Passolo? I never used them yet.

Hi,

Swordfish is compatible with Idiom. Idiom uses XLIFF files with custom extensions and Swordfish handles those extensions without problems.

In theory, Passolo works with XLIFF files too but I have never tested compatibility.

Regards,
Rodolfo

Susanne Kress  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to German
+ ...
Parallels Mar 24, 2011

Hi, Jeremy,

I am working on a Mac (10.6.6 / 3,06 GHz Intel Core i3 / 8GB Ram), Parallels Desktop 6.0 and Windos XP.

Trados Studio 2009 works perfectly. I don't even have Microsoft Office, only Office for Mac 2011. The only disadvantage of having no MS Office is that I do not have the Trados Preview function and therefore have to save the target text before reviewing it. But once saved, it opens perfectly from the Windows My Documents folder with Mac Office.

I haven't worked much with Passolo neither with SDLX, but for the moment everything is going fine.

Regards

Jeremy Simart
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Mar 24, 2011

Thank you, Rodolfo and Susanne, for your help.

My issue has actually been by-passed now as I won't have to install these tools on my computer.
However, I found very interesting info about PC/Mac tools compatibility by searching the Internet, and I hope this thread will help other translators as well.

Have a great day
J.

Lennart Luhtaru  Identity Verified
United States
English to Estonian
+ ...
Get more RAM Mar 24, 2011

You can't work with only 1GB of RAM, even 2GB is too little to run a virtual machine.

4GB would be minimum, so you could reserve at least 2GB for Windows.

Otherwise you'd have to use bootcamp.

If you have a Macbook (Pro), then get a separate keyboard, because your mac doesn't have DEL and INS keys that are used for shortcuts or just for text editing in Windows.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT tools on MAC (Parallels, VMware Fusion?)

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search