Lionbridge Translation Workspace
Thread poster: Matthieu VDH

Matthieu VDH
Local time: 15:37
Mar 31, 2011

Dear all,

My company located in Belgium is currently looking for an efficient CAT-tool. We had a meeting yesterday with Lionbridge in order to have a look at their tool "Translation Workspace".
I would like to know whether you've already used it.

If so, I would like to learn more about:
• the correctness of matching percentages
• “flexible” subscription model but expensive cancelation fee
• general criticism on TW compared to Trados
• who is the legal owner of the TM’s created?

Thanks in advance,

Kind regards,

Matthieu

Direct link Reply with quote

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Hi Matthieu Mar 31, 2011

Please check the existing forum threads:

http://www.proz.com/topic/159536
http://www.proz.com/topic/184162
http://www.proz.com/topic/191479
http://www.proz.com/topic/169741
and in the German forum:
http://www.proz.com/topic/193760
http://www.proz.com/topic/189752

Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 16:37
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Quite a buggy thing... Mar 31, 2011

Matthieu VDH wrote:
• the correctness of matching percentages

• “flexible” subscription model but expensive cancelation fee

Like with any other drug.
• general criticism on TW compared to Trados

Nothing is yours.
• who is the legal owner of the TM’s created?

Nothing is yours, but the headache.
To have your stuff at hand, dump all you do locally.

The servers halt quite often.
TMs are too slow to update, so if you have repeated segments one after another, the second and even the third one will still be "no match". You have to wait.

Very popular error is "Save to server failed" meaning the the segment was not saved to the TM and will not be matched further.

It's like having a pet elephant. It depends on the side you pet.
And, like with any big thing, the trunk does not even know the tail exists.

[Редактировалось 2011-03-31 11:18 GMT]

Matthieu VDH
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks... Mar 31, 2011

Thanks a lot for your replies!
I hope we are not going to choose that "software" as the main and only advantage seems to be its price...

Paula Hernández
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:37
English to Spanish
+ ...
Lionbridge annoys me Mar 31, 2011

This company is trying to make a profit out of absolutely every step of translation.

As a translator I would NEVER use their platform because you have to pay to use their platform but after the job is finished you don't have your own TM that you created and worked on, but they keep it!? This is just too much.

Also, I recently got an offer through Proz, about another platform with job offers for which you also had to pay, and not just a fixed amount, but based on the amount of words you opted to. So, the more you work, the more you pay.

This company really annoys me.

xxxchristela
------- Mar 31, 2011

Paula Hernández Sambeat wrote:

As a translator I would NEVER use their platform because you have to pay to use their platform but after the job is finished you don't have your own TM that you created and worked on, but they keep it!? This is just too much.

No. You can always extract your own segments and TM. The advantage here is high compatibility with the industry standards (tmx, Trados, xliff). The advantage, however, is the platform construction which allows you to share jobs.

Also, I recently got an offer through Proz, about another platform with job offers for which you also had to pay, and not just a fixed amount, but based on the amount of words you opted to. So, the more you work, the more you pay.

No again, because you don't pay for work done for other companies which subscribed to the system. You only pay for your "own" work.

Back to the original question, as for the correctness of matching percentages, see Sergei's answer, it's very illustrative. On the other hand, there are 30% matches and even 10% matches which perfectly fit.

As for the cancellation fee, this is ridicoulous of course, a 3 months' subscription would have been far better.

I don't find it slow (it is not slower than my working speed), but I have a very fast and reliable internet connexion. For the moment it is surely lacking ergonomy.

[Edited at 2011-03-31 14:42 GMT]

Paula Hernández
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:37
English to Spanish
+ ...
So do others Mar 31, 2011

[quote]BtoB wrote:

Paula Hernández Sambeat wrote:

No. You can always extract your own segments and TM. The advantage here is high compatibility with the industry standards (tmx, Trados, xliff). The advantage, however, is the platform construction which allows you to share jobs.

In my experience, with Trados and MemoQ you can do the same, use all those formats and share your job if you add the server option to your package. And you still keep all your work.

No again, because you don't pay for work done for other companies which subscribed to the system. You only pay for your "own" work.

Take a look:
Whether you are working for other subscribers or driving your own projects through Translation Workspace, you'll find a plan that's right for you. One license and a range of words per month are included in each plan, and every plan includes pay as you go words if you need more.

Words Licenses Cost
5,000 1 $14/month or $151/annual
30,000 1 $35/month or $381/annual
50,000 1 $49/month or $529/annual
80,000 1 $71/month or $762/annual

It is from Lionbridge. And they want you to pay them a part of what you work, even though they are doing what? offering you a space to work in when you already have your computer and plenty of other CAT tools that you could use paying once? Seriously?

[Editado a las 2011-03-31 19:02 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Lionbridge Translation Workspace

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search