Converting billingual file to TMX?
Thread poster: Sebastijan P

Sebastijan P
Slovenia
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Apr 18, 2011

Hello!

I am looking for a tool that would be able to convert various billingual files (wordfast pro, idiom, lionbridge, xliff, Trados etc.) to TMX. Any tips before we start the development ourselves?

I am creating a repository TM and I would like to use all resources we have.

Thank you for your help!

Kind regards,
Sebastijan

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 15:06
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
Swordfish can do many of them Apr 18, 2011

Sebastijan Pilko wrote:

Hello!

I am looking for a tool that would be able to convert various billingual files (wordfast pro, idiom, lionbridge, xliff, Trados etc.) to TMX. Any tips before we start the development ourselves?

I am creating a repository TM and I would like to use all resources we have.

Thank you for your help!

Kind regards,
Sebastijan

Like TXML (Wordfast Pro), XLIFF, and trados formats: TTX, SDLXLIFF.

Swordfish is a commercial CAT tool so it will first convert the source format to its "native format" (xliff) and then you can save the XLIFF file as TMX.

The free Rainbow from Okapi Tools may also be able to cover some of these formats.

Regards,

Piotr

FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:06
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Needs Apr 18, 2011

With that motley assortment of source formats, you're unlikely to find a single converter tool. Xbench might be able to do some/most of them, but metadata will be lost. The best solution would be to export each file to tmx with the tool it was created with. They all have a tmx export feature (I hope), just use that. Is there a good reason why you want to use a 3rd party tool?

Here's my article on a related topic: ... See more
With that motley assortment of source formats, you're unlikely to find a single converter tool. Xbench might be able to do some/most of them, but metadata will be lost. The best solution would be to export each file to tmx with the tool it was created with. They all have a tmx export feature (I hope), just use that. Is there a good reason why you want to use a 3rd party tool?

Here's my article on a related topic: http://www.proz.com/doc/3194
Collapse

Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 16:06
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Any Apr 18, 2011

decent CAT-tool can export to TMX.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Converting billingual file to TMX?

Advanced search

BaccS – an SDL product
Modern translation business management for freelancers and agencies

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search