XLIFF file opens (misc CAT tools) but does not display alt-trans info
Thread poster: sicallear
Apr 29, 2011

Currently piggy in the middle!

Software developer has suggested using XLIFF (currently sgml based). He's provided a sample file but my translation vendors are unable to extract the info they require.

The XLIFF file is supplied pre/part translated, the segments are tagged to show there 'state' but this information is not displayed in their CAT tools (Trados or DVX). This means that they can't establish (without investing time) which text is a guaranteed match, fuzzy match, etc.

Can anyone advise?

Sorry if the question is vague/unclear - I'm currently at the bottom of the XLIFF learning curve!! Thanks

Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:53
English to Spanish
Old tools don't support XLIFF Apr 30, 2011

Hi,

Your vendors should use modern tools that support XLIFF 1.2, which is the latest version published by OASIS a couple of years ago.

There are CAT tools that support XLIFF populated with matches in "alt-trans" elements. Swordfish is one of them.

Regards,
Rodolfo

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 23:53
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
Try Swordfish Apr 30, 2011

sicallear wrote:

Currently piggy in the middle!

Software developer has suggested using XLIFF (currently sgml based). He's provided a sample file but my translation vendors are unable to extract the info they require.

The XLIFF file is supplied pre/part translated, the segments are tagged to show there 'state' but this information is not displayed in their CAT tools (Trados or DVX). This means that they can't establish (without investing time) which text is a guaranteed match, fuzzy match, etc.

Can anyone advise?

Sorry if the question is vague/unclear - I'm currently at the bottom of the XLIFF learning curve!! Thanks

Swordfish CAN display alt-trans info, I am sure of this, because I use Swordfish every day. You can download Swordfish from www.maxprograms.com and try it for a month for free with all features enabled.

Swordfish also includes a XLIFFChecker plugin, so you can check if the XLIFF file is valid.

Hope this helps.

Piotr

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

XLIFF file opens (misc CAT tools) but does not display alt-trans info

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search