Exporting source and target segments into separate files
Thread poster: Dicionario Tecnico.com

Dicionario Tecnico.com
Local time: 08:41
English to Portuguese
+ ...
May 30, 2011

Hello there,
I've already searched this forum and the Internet and could not find anything related. Essentially what I need is to extract the segments (both source and translated segments) from my TM (which is huge, 100 MB+) into separated files, one containing each segment in the original language and the other the translated sentences. Although it seems an easy task, I couldn't find any software able to do it, only for the reverse function (aggregating two bilingual files into an assembl
... See more
Hello there,
I've already searched this forum and the Internet and could not find anything related. Essentially what I need is to extract the segments (both source and translated segments) from my TM (which is huge, 100 MB+) into separated files, one containing each segment in the original language and the other the translated sentences. Although it seems an easy task, I couldn't find any software able to do it, only for the reverse function (aggregating two bilingual files into an assembled TM).

I appreciate a lot any help!

Regards

Raphael (From Brazil)
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:41
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
What file format? May 30, 2011

What tool are you using?
In Wordfast you simply load the TM (txt) into Excel (tab delimited) and select first the source column (file 1) and then the target column (file 2).
For other tools you could export into tmx and use a tool like Olifant to generate a Wordfast TM. Then back to step one above.

Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 14:41
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
export May 30, 2011

- export into a tab-delimited TXT file,
- open in Excel,
- delete unnecessary column.

(look here)

Dicionario Tecnico.com
Local time: 08:41
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
IT WORKS! May 30, 2011

Man, that works perfectly!!! thank you so much!!
Raphael

FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:41
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Details, details May 30, 2011

You didn't mention what tool you're using or what format the TM is in.
If your tool can export to tab delimited txt, then the txt->Excel route may be a possibility. However, Excel may corrupt some segments (if they contain numbers only, or start with = or - etc.). Also, if the size is very large, Excel might not be a feasible option.
In that case, you'd need to use something more powerful, such as perl. E.g.
... See more
You didn't mention what tool you're using or what format the TM is in.
If your tool can export to tab delimited txt, then the txt->Excel route may be a possibility. However, Excel may corrupt some segments (if they contain numbers only, or start with = or - etc.). Also, if the size is very large, Excel might not be a feasible option.
In that case, you'd need to use something more powerful, such as perl. E.g.
Code:

perl -p -e "s/^([^\t]*).*$/" < infile.txt > outfile1.txt

and
Code:

perl -p -e "s/^[^\t]*\t([^\t]*).*$/" < infile.txt > outfile2.txt

If you can't get a tab delimited export from your CAT, you could use a TMX and convert it to tab delimited using Xbench or the tool in the grab bag here.
Collapse

Bilbo Baggins
Catalan to English
+ ...
MemoQ May 30, 2011

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

In Wordfast you simply load the TM (txt) into Excel (tab delimited) and select first the source column (file 1) and then the target column (file 2).
For other tools you could export into tmx and use a tool like Olifant to generate a Wordfast TM. Then back to step one above.

In MemoQ, you can export to the two column format and then delete the target colum to obtain the source and the source column to obtain the target.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Exporting source and target segments into separate files

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search