https://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/200591-which_cat_tool_to_buy.html

Which CAT Tool to buy?
Thread poster: TraductionPilou
TraductionPilou
TraductionPilou
Local time: 05:44
English to French
Jun 7, 2011

Hi,

I have just got my degree in Traslation Studies and I want to become a frelance translator. I am thinking about bying a CAT tool but I don't know which one.

Thanks,

Véronique Couture

Nikita Kobrin
Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 12:44
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
MemoQ Jun 7, 2011

I prefer to work with MemoQ.

Nikita Kobrin

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:44
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Start with the freeware... Jun 7, 2011

...like OmegaT. This will help you see what CAT tools are all about. Then there are very affordable CATs such as Metatexis or Swordfish (with student discount).

I for one prefer Wordfast Classic. I have tried various CATs, even MemoQ, but I always went back to Wordfast. And you can work with it in demo mode without ever having to pay for it.

So, to each his own, but there's no need to spend your money on a CAT tool until you have tried a few and know for sure which one
... See more
...like OmegaT. This will help you see what CAT tools are all about. Then there are very affordable CATs such as Metatexis or Swordfish (with student discount).

I for one prefer Wordfast Classic. I have tried various CATs, even MemoQ, but I always went back to Wordfast. And you can work with it in demo mode without ever having to pay for it.

So, to each his own, but there's no need to spend your money on a CAT tool until you have tried a few and know for sure which one you are comfortable with.
Collapse

TraductionPilou
TraductionPilou
Local time: 05:44
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Wordfast for free? Jun 7, 2011

Hello,

thanks for your response. Can I download Wordfast for free on the Internet? Could you give me le link for this. I think I'll try this CAT tool at first.

Thanks!

Véronique Couture

Maya M Fourioti
Maya M Fourioti  Identity Verified
Greece
Member (2010)
English to Greek
+ ...
Wordfast Link Jun 7, 2011

http://www.freetm.com/
This is the link where you can create an account
Enjoy it

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
WFP and SDLX lite Jun 8, 2011

Most jobs can be done with a combination of Wordfast Pro and SDLX lite. You should also have an installation of MS Word.
I usually use WFP on ttx-files, because it is more convenient than Tageditor.

NMR (X)
NMR (X)
France
Local time: 11:44
French to Dutch
+ ...
See also Jun 8, 2011

http://www.translatorstraining.com/sito/

During your translation studies, you certainly got a presentation or a training on CAT-tools. You can use that as a start.

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
My preference Jun 8, 2011

Hi Véronique,
my preference is SDL Trados Studio. MemoQ mentioned by Nik is also very good (the second in my list of favourites), but I agree that starting out with some of the free tools might be a good option for you.

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
The link Maya gave you Jun 8, 2011

is for Wordfast Anywhere.

For Wf Classic go to www.wordfast.net and download version 6.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Personal preference Jun 8, 2011

This is a matter of personal preference. I like Trados Studio, don't like MemoQ at all, don't like Wordfast at all and hate most other CATs.
You should try Studio (free trial), MemoQ (free trial) and Wordfast Pro (I'm unsure about trials) and maybe DVX and then buy whichever you like best. Remember, Trados is the market leader so agencies might like you more if you go with Trados.
Make sure to give each tool at least one or two weeks of active use before you discard them.
In my
... See more
This is a matter of personal preference. I like Trados Studio, don't like MemoQ at all, don't like Wordfast at all and hate most other CATs.
You should try Studio (free trial), MemoQ (free trial) and Wordfast Pro (I'm unsure about trials) and maybe DVX and then buy whichever you like best. Remember, Trados is the market leader so agencies might like you more if you go with Trados.
Make sure to give each tool at least one or two weeks of active use before you discard them.
In my personal opinion, the free and open source OmegaT is not in the same league as the best commercial CATs. I.e. I would shell out the money, in this case, it's worth it.
Collapse

Toby Wakely
Toby Wakely  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
unsure of which Trados product to buy Jul 9, 2011

I´m thinking of buying my first CAT tool- I´m most interested in Trados because a lot of job offers made on proz.com state Trados is a must. What I don´t know is whether to invest in the SDL Trados Starter or full Trados Studio SP3 version. There is a great price difference between the two 99 Euros or 845Euros respectively.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
memoQ Jul 9, 2011

Definitely memoQ.

Try the demo: http://kilgray.com/

Michael

inkweaver
inkweaver  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
MemoQ Jul 10, 2011

I tried Wordfast Classic which caused Word to crash all the time, Wordfast Pro, Trados (which all of a sudden started to come up with odd error messages) and MemoQ. MemoQ is definitely my personal preference.

I find it very easy to use and pretty hassle-free (I have only encountered one problem in about one year and support was excellent), so I would definitely recommend it!

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Heartsome / Swordfish - XTM Cloud Jul 10, 2011

Not a mainstream TEnT for sure, but it works on all platforms and never caused me any trouble since 2009 - a thing I cannot say about Trados 2007 or WFP.

I furthermore like in particular the fact that I can work with virtually one TM for all my linguistic combinations as TMs have multilingual and multidirectional capability.

Also all of the formats used by Heartsome / Swordfish are open standards (XLIFF, TMX, TBX, SRX, XML, GMX) and not proprietary ones.

... See more
Not a mainstream TEnT for sure, but it works on all platforms and never caused me any trouble since 2009 - a thing I cannot say about Trados 2007 or WFP.

I furthermore like in particular the fact that I can work with virtually one TM for all my linguistic combinations as TMs have multilingual and multidirectional capability.

Also all of the formats used by Heartsome / Swordfish are open standards (XLIFF, TMX, TBX, SRX, XML, GMX) and not proprietary ones.

The online solution XTM Cloud works very much like those two (at least from what I see as I am not in the IT vocation), with different features though.

[Edited at 2011-07-11 05:27 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which CAT Tool to buy?

Translation news related to CAT tools

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »