Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >
Client specifies Trados - is Wordfast ok?
Thread poster: Jenny Nilsson

Jenny Nilsson  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 19:44
English to Swedish
Jun 16, 2011

Hi!
Im new in the world of cat-tools and don't want to bother my clients with these kinds of questions.
My client wants me to confirm that I use Trados but since I am mostly on my Mac which runs Wordfast, I am wondering wheather I can work in Wordfast and make the file into a Trados-file to send to client if asked for.
The files I will recieve will be Word and PPT-files.

Also, if Wordfat is impossible, how quickly can one get into the Trados-world? I have access t
... See more
Hi!
Im new in the world of cat-tools and don't want to bother my clients with these kinds of questions.
My client wants me to confirm that I use Trados but since I am mostly on my Mac which runs Wordfast, I am wondering wheather I can work in Wordfast and make the file into a Trados-file to send to client if asked for.
The files I will recieve will be Word and PPT-files.

Also, if Wordfat is impossible, how quickly can one get into the Trados-world? I have access to a PC and should be able to download the program, I am wondering if it is feasible since I am kind of desperate for work
Collapse

LegalTranslatr2  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:44
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Wordfast Jun 16, 2011

Wordfast and Trados are completely compatible.

In fact, I have noticed that more and more companies are becoming more comfortable with other tools and are now requesting either Trados or Wordfast.

Vadim Kadyrov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 20:44
Member (2011)
English to Russian
+ ...
It may be that clients send trados translation memory Jun 16, 2011

And you won`t be able to use it with Wordfast (still, I am not familiar with Wordfast at all, and I am not sure you won`t).

Getting started with Trados is quite simple, if you have already mastered another CAT tool, because the basic principle is the same.

I think that it will take you two days of careful and attentive study of Ttrados to start working with it. Once again, if you have already mastered Wordfast.

Ana Malovrh  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Member (2010)
German to Slovenian
+ ...
basically no problem Jun 16, 2011

Hi sunanoo,

in my experience it doesn't matter as long as you provide them with the desired format.

It is best, that you tell your client, that you use Wordfast and that you can make this conversion. Usually they don't mind, but it is better to inform them in advance.

CAT-tools are quite similar and once you understand one you should practically understand them all - more or less.

Trados is the most complicated one though, but there are a lot
... See more
Hi sunanoo,

in my experience it doesn't matter as long as you provide them with the desired format.

It is best, that you tell your client, that you use Wordfast and that you can make this conversion. Usually they don't mind, but it is better to inform them in advance.

CAT-tools are quite similar and once you understand one you should practically understand them all - more or less.

Trados is the most complicated one though, but there are a lot of forums and free tutorials online so you shouldn't have much problems with learning the basic usage.
Collapse

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
It is a problem Jun 16, 2011

Word files translated in Trados and Wordfast are basically the same, but the segmentation sometimes differs. Plus, as Vadim wrote, the client may be sending you Trados TM's that won't open in Wordfast.

If you are going to translate PPT files, the client will probably expect TTX files (this could also apply to Word files, because it's better to translate them in Trados Tag Editor), so Wordfast fails you again.

People complain about Trados being complicated, but I don't f
... See more
Word files translated in Trados and Wordfast are basically the same, but the segmentation sometimes differs. Plus, as Vadim wrote, the client may be sending you Trados TM's that won't open in Wordfast.

If you are going to translate PPT files, the client will probably expect TTX files (this could also apply to Word files, because it's better to translate them in Trados Tag Editor), so Wordfast fails you again.

People complain about Trados being complicated, but I don't find Wordfast much easier, and the basic concepts are the same. In this case, you'll basically need to double-click the TM file, drag the PPT file on to the Tag Editor window or open the Word file, use a few new keyboard shortcuts, and then use one command to clean the files in Workbench. Nothing complex, really.
Collapse

Sweden
English to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jun 16, 2011

I am no pro at Wordfast either so going into the cat-business is a bit daunting but I have decided to master it in record time!
I'm going to get on a PC and download Trados. It seams like that might be my best choice from the advice given. There is too much nerves about something not beingn compatible if I use Wordfast.
I would also like some advice regarding discounts, but I am going to make a new post about that.

Portec Traducciones Técnicas al Portugués (X)
Chile
Local time: 14:44
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I was required TRADOS but ... Jun 16, 2011

Well, I have received a proposal of translation and they required me TRADOS but I told the client I work with WORDFAST. He simply disappeared...
I wonder if it is only because I work with WORDFAST. But what´s the difference between Wordfast and TRADOS?
Well, Wordfast Translation Memory can be found for free and I haven´t heard that so can TRADOS.
So I decided to learn Wordfast that is very simple to use.
I can´t believe I lost my client only because of what translation
... See more
Well, I have received a proposal of translation and they required me TRADOS but I told the client I work with WORDFAST. He simply disappeared...
I wonder if it is only because I work with WORDFAST. But what´s the difference between Wordfast and TRADOS?
Well, Wordfast Translation Memory can be found for free and I haven´t heard that so can TRADOS.
I can´t believe I lost my client only because of what translation memory I use.
Collapse

Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
OT - You may never know... Jun 16, 2011

Portec Traducciones wrote:

I can´t believe I lost my client only because of what translation memory I use.

You may never know the reason why this potential client disappeared. Some agencies tend to get quite curt those days, for choices related to CAT tools or not.

However, I have to say that my most trusted clients never required the use of any kind of CAT tool... and that they also pay me the full word count, without discounts for "matches".

There are as always choices to be made. My choice was to part with Trados software when Studio 2009 was released. I cannot say I had to regret my decision.

Sweden
English to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
CAT COMPLICATED Jun 16, 2011

I wish I did not have to use CAT tools either since I do well without them, but I haven't been lucky enough to find these trusted clients yet. I wonder where I could get a hold of those...

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

However, I have to say that my most trusted clients never required the use of any kind of CAT tool... and that they also pay me the full word count, without discounts for "matches".

There are as always choices to be made. My choice was to part with Trados software when Studio 2009 was released. I cannot say I had to regret my decision.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Simple question - simple answer: NO Jun 16, 2011

It is NOT OK to use Wordfast, if client requires Trados, when you are uncertain about the result.
From what you write you are not experienced user.
In such case you cannot guarantee the result delivered will match the needs of the customer.
The more experience you have, the easier you can try to circumvent such reuquirements.
But statemets like this:
Wordfast and Trados are completely compatible.

are simply not true.
This is like you would say you can fill a gasoline car with diesel fuel, as both are basicaly a raffinate of crude oil and thus the same.

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 20:44
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Agree with Jerzy Jun 16, 2011

CAT hopping is not so easy and have professional risks. One should be a proficient user of both CAT programs before trying to translate CAT A projects with CAT B. And although I am not a Trados fan (my favourite is Deja Vu X), I cannot say Wordfast is an easy-to-learn program when compared to Trados.

Ulf Samuelsson  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 12:44
English to Swedish
+ ...
Wordfast and Trados Jun 16, 2011

Wordfast and Trados can be used on the same jobs, in general, but the tools aren't fully compatible.

If the client wants Trados to be used, you could ask if it is OK to use Wordfast. It depends on what files the client wants to receive from you (and to a certain degree what the client knows about Wordfast).

If the client wants you to send a Trados memory and a ttx-file, then Wordfast alone is useless.

If the client just wants you to send a translated file a
... See more
Wordfast and Trados can be used on the same jobs, in general, but the tools aren't fully compatible.

If the client wants Trados to be used, you could ask if it is OK to use Wordfast. It depends on what files the client wants to receive from you (and to a certain degree what the client knows about Wordfast).

If the client wants you to send a Trados memory and a ttx-file, then Wordfast alone is useless.

If the client just wants you to send a translated file and an exported memory file in .tmx format, then Wordfast could be used, as long as the client is aware of the fact that you use Wordfast (the tmx exported memory isn't completely compatible as Wordfast doesn't save formatting information).

However, if you have both Trados and Wordfast, and still want to do the job in Wordfast rather in Trados, this is what you should do:
1. Create an empty Trados memory if you do not already have one.
2. Use this empty memory and run an analysis on the files (.rtf, .doc, .xls, .ttx, etc.).
3. In the analysis results window, click on Export Unknown Segments and save the file with the file type "Word (*.rtf)".
4. Open a new empty Word document and insert the rtf file (menu Insert -> File) and save as a .doc file. (This step is only so you can use the shortcut Shift+F5 in .doc files to quickly get back to where you left off if you reopen the file after having closed it.)
5. Now translate the file with Wordfast as usual, but use the segmentation rule "Segmentation method: Paragraph" to ensure that you get the segments as they are seen by Trados (each separate segment is a paragraph in the exported file).
6. You then clean up the finished translation with Trados to create the Trados memory for your job.
7. Run the translation memory in Trados on the files and clean up the translation when it is finished.

That way, you get a completely compatible interaction between Trados and Wordfast.
Collapse

DZiW
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
A good name is better than riches Jun 17, 2011

Say, client specifies $1000, but it appears not USD - is it ok? In a few years? In furs? And so on.

Frankly speaking it's rather often that clients are baffled, puzzled, and even dizzied when asked 'Why exactly you need Trados only?' A few even replied they actually didn't know, but 'It's generally used'...

Not sure about most-or-all, but I think that rather many clients use 'Trados only' remark to look more well-bred ...
See more
Say, client specifies $1000, but it appears not USD - is it ok? In a few years? In furs? And so on.

Frankly speaking it's rather often that clients are baffled, puzzled, and even dizzied when asked 'Why exactly you need Trados only?' A few even replied they actually didn't know, but 'It's generally used'...

Not sure about most-or-all, but I think that rather many clients use 'Trados only' remark to look more well-bred
Collapse

Sushan Harshe
India
Local time: 23:14
English to Hindi
+ ...
Wordfast and Trados compatibility Jun 17, 2011

Hi Samuelsson,

Thanks; this is of great use to translators working in both CATs!

Regards,
Sudarshan

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Remember the limitation to edit only in Word Jun 17, 2011

And this is a dead end already. SDL Trados Studio has dropped the Word interface alltogether and there is no other modern tool which would be just a Word interface now available AFAIK.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Client specifies Trados - is Wordfast ok?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
BaccS – an SDL product
Modern translation business management for freelancers and agencies

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search