Terminology extraction software
Thread poster: Christophe Lefrancois

Christophe Lefrancois  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:52
French
+ ...
Jul 7, 2011

Hi everyone,

Could anyone recommend me a reliable software to extract terminology?

I know Multiterm 2009, but it's too expensive for me.

Thanks ,

Christophe

Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:52
English to French
+ ...
MemoQ 5 Jul 7, 2011

I think the just-announced, upcoming Version 5 of MemoQ will have (has, there is a release candidate available for DL) some sort of terminology extraction tool. I don't know if its output can be used out of MemoQ, though.
http://kilgray.com/products/memoq/whatsnew

Per Magnus  Identity Verified
English to Norwegian
Xbench - very good and very inexpensive Jul 7, 2011

Try Xbench from Apsic. I have used it for years and will never go back to MultiTerm.
It is free, easy to use and covers a lot of file-types.

http://www.apsic.com/en/downloads.aspx

[Edited at 2011-07-07 15:40 GMT]

French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 7, 2011

Thanks very much Per!! It's a very useful tool.

MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
With Xbench you are not going to extract anything... Jul 8, 2011

Hi,
Xbench (currently v.2.9) is a concordancer, not an extraction tool. It's however excellent to transform TMX into tab text.

The only free extraction tool I'm aware of is

ExtPhr33 , but no Unicode support without making a macro.

just google it, because I haven't the link.

Greets,
Mike

French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
doesn't work Jul 8, 2011

Hi Mike,

I downloaded ExtPhr33 but when i try to install it, i got this message "ExtPhr33 is not compatible with Windows 7"..

Per Magnus  Identity Verified
English to Norwegian
File types Jul 8, 2011

What kind of files do you want to extract?
Xbench can handle translation memory directly, for instance as .tmx-files.

MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Transfer it from XP... Jul 8, 2011

Christophe Lefrancois wrote:

Hi Mike,

... "ExtPhr33 is not compatible with Windows 7"..

yes of course, where are you thinkingicon_smile.gif This is software from 2005, but then.. it's free.

What do you want to do exactly?

- Extract terminology (monolingual or bilingual):
ExtPhr33; MT Extract; MemoQ 5 (it's "just" a complete CAT tool, not only an extraction tool, not exportable most probably); Across (free but inside working only).

- Convert files:
All CAT-tool formats (except TM) to TMX or TAB, or import Tab, TMX: >> Xbench

Greets,
Mike

[Edited at 2011-07-08 15:01 GMT]

Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:52
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
memoQ 5 Jul 10, 2011

btw, memoQ 5's new terminology extraction feature works very well. you can even import/export/edit Stop Word Lists!

you can also easily Export all Accepted Candidates to a term base, and then export this term base to .CSV, .TSV, etc

Michael

p.s. You can easily run ExtPhr33 in "Windows XP Mode" (Windows Virtual PC) on Windows 7.

[Edited at 2011-07-10 19:50 GMT]

Madeleine Chevassus  Identity Verified
France
Member (2010)
English to French
Xbench and SDL Studio 2009 SP3 Jul 10, 2011

hello

Xbench seems to look fine and I have lot of problems with Multiterm,

is Xbench terminology output compatible with SDL Studio 2009 SP3 termbases?

thanks - Marie

MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
MT and Xbench Jul 11, 2011

Hi Marie,

my experiences with Multiterm (2007 & 2009) point me to say that it's highly recommended to leave them in MT, not trying to export them as this will result in a chaos.
This is particulary true when you have a lot of fieds, and even in my case with only 1 language pair, 1 entry for every equivalences, no merged terms, this will still result in issues after export.

For more details, please read this, but unfortunately I cannot find the link for the community script made by Farkas (allowing to bypass export errors with MT).

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/202420-how_do_i_convert_a_multiterm_2009_database_to_an_sdlx_termbase.html

Bye,
Mike

MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Maybe possible when exporting MT as MT 5... Jul 11, 2011

Marie,

I've just taken a look in Xbench: it's possible to import "MT 5 glossaries" . Give it a try by exporting your MT as MT5 and import it in Xbench. I have no idea of the result, and I don't think that all will be transfered (see last post).

Mike

Michel A.  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:52
Member (2004)
English to French
+ ...
Terminology extraction May 23, 2012

Hi everybody,

I need to extract the most relevant terminology from a monolingual English Excel file (roughly 100K words), preferably on MAC OS X, but Windows is still an option. Of course, I would prefer not to spend hours trimming a very large extracted file... I need a tool which "cuts the crap" alone.icon_smile.gif

This is a huge project, with other files to come and the client is paying to build the glossary (paying for my time, not for the tool), then I can invest reasonable money in a new tool, providing that it is really easy to master (no time for tries and errors, and no time to fight with a non intuitive GUI, I really need a fast learning curve).

Any advice?

Thanks in advance,

Michel

Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:52
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TerMine & PhraseMiner May 23, 2012

Hi Michel,

Try TerMine by NaCteM (The National Centre for Text Mining) and/or PhraseMiner (by the guy who makes CodeZapper) with Excel and a text editor.

Michael

http://www.nactem.ac.uk/software/termine/
http://asap-traduction.com/PhraseMiner

DZiW
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
+Tools May 23, 2012

Yes, I know, it's not very popular among modern youngsters and up-to-daters, but I still find free PlusTools (http://www.wordfast.net/wiki/PlusTools) quite useful.

Actually, it may be just like walking down the memory lane, yet WF 3.35x, Pragma, Lingvo, and PlusTools were my favs back then in 2003. Why, I still ocassionaly use them, especially WF + PlusTools combo (they are always ZIPed on my USB stick taking less than 2 MB!)

To be more specific, with proper settings +Extract page makes little wonders, but still one has to keep a picky eye on iticon_wink.gif

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Terminology extraction software

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search