MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 15:45
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
Jul 13, 2011

Dear colleagues,

I regret sometimes not having taken important notes in my personal Knowledge Base years ago, otherwise I wouldn't have to ask such basics, but I also want to know if the following scenario has changed in the last years.

Group working:
Is it the best method to convert any big project files of any kind to TTX first when working
in a group with other fellow translators? I will assume that all of them use a
different CAT tool capable of importing a TTX file. Also, we translate Word files 90% of the time.

1)
So, the TTX file in any CAT tool will look the same when opening (format tags,
segmentation)?

2)
Can I open a TTX file in my tool that has been partially translated in another tool
and go on working seamlessly?

3)
Is there another file format that accomplishes what TTX does (or should do as here above) and can be handled in any of the "big" CAT tools?

Multi-CAT working:
The questions above are also important for me to organise my projects and databases in order to work in different CAT tools.

Thanks very much for your feedback. Although important, it's not an urgent matter for me, so please take your time and feel free to come back later.
Greets,
Mike

[Edited at 2011-07-13 12:41 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Hazel Underwood  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:45
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Work online Jul 13, 2011

Hi Mike,

It might be worth looking at Wordfast Anywhere www.freetm.com.

It's a relatively new online tool that handles most file types (although not TTX). The good thing here is that you can share TMs in real-time online, so you can work on large projects together with other translators.

The only restriction is that the TM must not contain more than 500,000 segments.

Hope that helps!

Hazel

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TTX question: group working; multi-CAT working

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search