Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Which Trados-compatible CAT tool would you recommend?
Thread poster: Cecile Trotin
Cecile Trotin
Cecile Trotin  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:31
English to French
Jul 16, 2011

Hi,

I have been translating as a freelancer years ago and was using Trados at the time. After some years working in various companies, I am back on the freelancers market but do not have Trados any longer. And I currently cannot afford SDL Trados, which is a pity considering that nearly all companies who are likely to give me work want me to use Trados.

Would you know of a free or cheaper CAT software which is compatible with the main Trados formats?

I have
... See more
Hi,

I have been translating as a freelancer years ago and was using Trados at the time. After some years working in various companies, I am back on the freelancers market but do not have Trados any longer. And I currently cannot afford SDL Trados, which is a pity considering that nearly all companies who are likely to give me work want me to use Trados.

Would you know of a free or cheaper CAT software which is compatible with the main Trados formats?

I have heard of OmegaT but I understood that it was not supporting RTF file formats.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Cécile
Collapse

Hermann Bruns
Hermann Bruns  Identity Verified
English to German
Try MetaTexis Jul 16, 2011

Hello Cécile,

MetaTexis for Word can process all important formats and it is easy to use.

You can download a trial version anytime at www.metatexis.com.

Kind regards
Hermann

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
MemoQ Jul 16, 2011

Fully compatible with Trados bilingual Word files, TTX files (Trados up to version 8.0), and SDLXLIFF files (SDL Trados Studio 2009).

The only drawback is that in order to be 100% sure that your customer will be able to use the TTX files you deliver, it's best if you ask them to give you presegmented (basically pretranslated) TTX files. You can segment unsegmented TTX files in memoQ, but this does not 100% guarantee that the customer will have no problem at all with them.

... See more
Fully compatible with Trados bilingual Word files, TTX files (Trados up to version 8.0), and SDLXLIFF files (SDL Trados Studio 2009).

The only drawback is that in order to be 100% sure that your customer will be able to use the TTX files you deliver, it's best if you ask them to give you presegmented (basically pretranslated) TTX files. You can segment unsegmented TTX files in memoQ, but this does not 100% guarantee that the customer will have no problem at all with them.

For all the rest, memoQ works beautifully. We have many Trados-only customers and do everything in memoQ.

I don't agree with the colleague about Metatexis, sonce it only works with MS Office-based formats as far as I am aware. You cannot do TTX files or SDLXLIFF files with it.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
The main Trados formats Jul 16, 2011

ccely wrote:

What would you consider the "main" Trados formats?

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
MemoQ and partially translated TTX files Jul 16, 2011

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:
You can segment unsegmented TTX files in memoQ, but this does not 100% guarantee that the customer will have no problem at all with them.

Can you translate partially segmented (partially translated) TTX files in MemoQ? Or must such files be prepared first in a separate tool (e.g. Trados itself)?

Cecile Trotin
Spain
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Trados formats Jul 16, 2011

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll look further into MemoQ.

As far as the main Trados formats are concerned, I meant mainly TTX and RTF files which are the file formats I am more likely to work with.

Thanks,

Cecile

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:31
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Better titles, please Jul 16, 2011

What the heck is a "CAT-compatible tool"?

From the context of your question I suppose you meant to write "Trados-compatible" tool.

If so, the title should be changed so as to reflect the content of your question.

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Is nowadays CAT equivalent to Trados? Jul 16, 2011

Riccardo Schiaffino wrote:

From the context of your question I suppose you meant to write "Trados-compatible" tool.

If so, the title should be changed so as to reflect the content of your question.

sterios prosiniklis
sterios prosiniklis  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:31
Member (2009)
Italian to Greek
+ ...
No, it isn't... Jul 16, 2011

"Is nowadays CAT equivalent to Trados?"

Unfortunately there are lot of "vendor locked" translators and agencies unaware of this simple fact...

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 20:31
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
The workflow I used for processing TRADOS files with free tools was ... Jul 17, 2011

Before choosing DéjàVu as my preferred CAT tool, I proceeded as follows:

1. I segmented the original files, if needed, using SDL TRADOS TWB 2007 (the demo version) in order to obtain bilingual files, in Word of ttx format.

2. Using TTXpress (free template) I converted the ttx files to rtf files

3. The free, old version of WordFast Classsic (3.35x) allowed me to translate the rtf files with no problem

4. Translated rtf files were converted bac
... See more

1. I segmented the original files, if needed, using SDL TRADOS TWB 2007 (the demo version) in order to obtain bilingual files, in Word of ttx format.

3. The free, old version of WordFast Classsic (3.35x) allowed me to translate the rtf files with no problem

4. Translated rtf files were converted back to ttx using TTXpress

5. If TM was supplied, it could be opened or merged (in TMW or .txt format) and used by WordFast 3.35x. I could use Olifant (which is free also) for converting the WF produced TM (.txt) to tmx 1.1 format, importable into TRADOS environment using TWB.

6. PlusToyz, an interesting (and free) collection of macros, allowed to use some alternative paths for processing ttx an Word files.

You may want to try the above approach. I still have all the necessary free tools somewhere in my hard disk.

Saludos
Collapse

starspain
starspain
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to German
+ ...
Transit NXT from STAR Jul 17, 2011

Transit NXT from STAR, the translation environment tool made by translators for translators.

One environment that perfectly integrates the following modules:

Import & export filters
Distribute (file-based) translation memory
Translation editor
Binary resource editor
Terminology manager
Alignment tool
Project management

Advantages
Impressive filter set, constantly updated
Propietary, highly flexible, featur
... See more
Transit NXT from STAR, the translation environment tool made by translators for translators.

One environment that perfectly integrates the following modules:

Import & export filters
Distribute (file-based) translation memory
Translation editor
Binary resource editor
Terminology manager
Alignment tool
Project management

Advantages
Impressive filter set, constantly updated
Propietary, highly flexible, feature rich translation environment
Transparent and open - Internal file format is is Unicode XML. Plus, Transit is TMX TBX, MARTIF, Unicode, ODBC compatible
Web-based training material and highly responsive support team
Low Total cost of Ownership
Collapse

Cecile Trotin
Spain
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Title Jul 17, 2011

FYI, the moderator changed the title I had initially put. And I believe that you understand the point when you read the post.

Cecile Trotin
Spain
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Title Jul 17, 2011

Christel Zipfel wrote:

Again I had simply chosen to write "Which CAT tool would you recommend?" in the title. It was changed by the moderator before being published.

Anyway I don't think this should distract us from the point of the topic which I assume is clear enough in the forum post itself.

Jenn Mercer
Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:31
Member (2009)
French to English
Or... Jul 17, 2011

Jorge Payan wrote:

4. Translated rtf files were converted back to ttx using TTXpress

5. If TM was supplied, it could be opened or merged (in TMW or .txt format) and used by WordFast 3.35x. I could use Olifant (which is free also) for converting the WF produced TM (.txt) to tmx 1.1 format, importable into TRADOS environment using TWB.

6. PlusToyz, an interesting (and free) collection of macros, allowed to use some alternative paths for processing ttx an Word files.

You may want to try the above approach. I still have all the necessary free tools somewhere in my hard disk.

Saludos

Before I purchased the full version of Trados, I used similar workflows using the above procedures and demos of other CAT tools such as Swordfish, etc. But once my main Trados preferring client had given me enough work and ProZ came out with a good group buy, I went ahead and bought the full version. Honestly, I prefer to spend my time translating rather than converting and reconverting files. I would not buy a new CAT tool just for one project, but I would recommend analyzing the time you are spending running laps to decide if you are truly saving money.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
A little off-topic: @Jorge Jul 17, 2011

Jorge Payan wrote:

I still use WFC for most of my jobs, including TTX, XLIFF and TXML, and the workflow is similar to yours (in a certain sense), except that I tag my RTF files manually (i.e. using my own macro). The principle is the same, however, in that the source file is prepared in the actual program that it was designed for (I have a license for both Trados 2007/2009 and Wordfast Pro) and the file is tested again in the same program, to ensure complete compatibility.

I would not recommend (to a newish user) to use non-Trados tools for Trados jobs unless you are certain that the compatibility is solid. For example, MemoQ's web site states that it can only do pre-segmented TTX, which means that you need Trados anyway (to pre-segment it).

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which Trados-compatible CAT tool would you recommend?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »