Thread poster: Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:50
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Jul 16, 2011

(Other than Déja Vu and MemoQ, as far as I know.)

Sometimes this feature comes in handy, especially the auto propagation. Just now I have a job with about 40 different but similar files.

Thank you for sharing!

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:50
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
OmegaT Jul 16, 2011

OmegaT supports multiple files and directories in a single project.

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Swordfish III Jul 17, 2011

esperantisto wrote:

OmegaT supports multiple files and directories in a single project.

Swordfish has the same feature. www.maxprograms.com

Regards,

Piotr

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Studio 2009 Jul 17, 2011

Studio 2009 also has this feature. You merge the files together, translate, and unmerge to target files at the end.

starspain
starspain
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to German
+ ...
Transit NXT from STAR Jul 17, 2011

Transit NXT from STAR imports multiple files and, what's more, into multiple languages.

In other words, when you have to translate let's say a website into multiple languages, you can import, pretranslate and leverage hundreds or thousands of html files into all the target languages of your project.

Another very handy feature of Transit is its "Global View". This allows you to open multiple files in one window. You can than translate, search and replace or otherwise e
... See more
Transit NXT from STAR imports multiple files and, what's more, into multiple languages.

In other words, when you have to translate let's say a website into multiple languages, you can import, pretranslate and leverage hundreds or thousands of html files into all the target languages of your project.

Another very handy feature of Transit is its "Global View". This allows you to open multiple files in one window. You can than translate, search and replace or otherwise edit multiple files and save all your changes with one mouse-click.

Regards, Michael
Collapse

starspain
starspain
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to German
+ ...
Transit NXT from STAR Jul 17, 2011

Forgot to say two things

1. Transit also imports and exports complex folder structures, i.e. after you translated your material, it is capable of recreating the source file folder structures for all the target languages.

2. The MS Office filter from Transit can import multiple Word, Excel and PPT files in one Go.
<
... See more
Forgot to say two things

1. Transit also imports and exports complex folder structures, i.e. after you translated your material, it is capable of recreating the source file folder structures for all the target languages.

2. The MS Office filter from Transit can import multiple Word, Excel and PPT files in one Go.

More information on www.star-spain.com or www.star-transit.com

Best, Michael
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
SDL Trados Studio handles multiple files and file formats Jul 17, 2011

You can load multiple files in one project, merge them regardless of their formats and unmerge them finally.
You can also load folder structures and even then merge all files in the structure to one file. After the project is finished the program will unmerge the files and recreate the folder structure.

And all the filters for a wide variety of formats are delivered at no extra charge.
You buy the software with a timely unlimited license.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
A question about the "merging" CAT tools Jul 18, 2011

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
You can load multiple files in one project, merge them regardless of their formats and unmerge them finally.

It would seem that some CAT tools incapable of handling multiple files solve the multiple file problem by merging the files into a single superfile. But doesn't that mean that the entire translatable content appear in a single pane, and that scrolling becomes particularly difficult if the file is long, and that it is hard to see where one file ends and the other file begins? Or is there an easy way (e.g. a file list) that one can click to jump to a particular file within the superfile? And, how easy is it to add files, remove files, and replace files within this superfile structure?

ghislandi
ghislandi  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:50
English to Italian
Stdio and multiple files Jul 18, 2011

Hello

in SDL Trados Studio you could work in 2 ways.

1) Just prepare a project with multiple file types. In this way all the files are separate but they have all been prepared together. Just saves you preparation time.

2) You can merge into one file as indicated - If you merge them into one, you can see the various files nonetheless, navigate from one to the other pretty easily through a 'tree structure' menu on the side. There will also be a marker to divi
... See more
Hello

in SDL Trados Studio you could work in 2 ways.

1) Just prepare a project with multiple file types. In this way all the files are separate but they have all been prepared together. Just saves you preparation time.

2) You can merge into one file as indicated - If you merge them into one, you can see the various files nonetheless, navigate from one to the other pretty easily through a 'tree structure' menu on the side. There will also be a marker to divide the files. Real time preview remains available (depending on the file format) and just needs a refresh from one to the other.

I hope this helps.

Regards
Massi

SDL
Collapse

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
MemoQ's limitation on multiple files Jul 18, 2011

As far as I have experienced, you can in fact import multiple files into one project, but you cannot view nor edit them in one single pane. Correct me if I am wrong, as this is really a feature I am missing when working in MemoQ.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
memoQ - Views Jul 18, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:
It would seem that some CAT tools incapable of handling multiple files solve the multiple file problem by merging the files into a single superfile. But doesn't that mean that the entire translatable content appear in a single pane, and that scrolling becomes particularly difficult if the file is long, and that it is hard to see where one file ends and the other file begins? Or is there an easy way (e.g. a file list) that one can click to jump to a particular file within the superfile? And, how easy is it to add files, remove files, and replace files within this superfile structure?

In the case of memoQ, you import the set of files (even full folder structures, which you can then export again to the same locations with one command), and then create one or more views with them. If you work on the view, you have the whole list of segments from the whole set (well, or the set you decided to create a view from).

Anything you do in the view (which is the "superfile") gets done automatically in the individual files. And the other way around: anything you do in the individual files (which you can open for translation despite the existence of the view), gets reflected automatically in the view.

memoQ is quite smart in the sense that you can add/delete/edit individual files despite of the view. The view is just a way of seeing the segments and working on them, but the files do not get glued together in fact. When you finish the work, you don't need to do the additional step of "unmerging" anything. You can export any file you wish at any time. You can even delete the view when you don't need it, and the individual files do not get deleted.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I think you are wrong... Jul 18, 2011

Wolfgang Jörissen wrote:
As far as I have experienced, you can in fact import multiple files into one project, but you cannot view nor edit them in one single pane. Correct me if I am wrong, as this is really a feature I am missing when working in MemoQ.

Hm... Can't you simply import your files and create a view? You then work with on the view the same way as with one large individual file.

However, indeed in the case of memoQ Server (or if you are connecting to a customer's server-based project), you cannot create your own views, as much as I am aware. With your own local projects, you can use views normally.

[Edited at 2011-07-18 08:47 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Same with OmT Jul 18, 2011

Wolfgang Jörissen wrote:

This limitation is also present in OmegaT (but as you can see from my previous post, it depends on your point of view whether this is a feature or a limitation).

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:50
English to Spanish
List of files Jul 18, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:

Swordfish merges the extracted text from multiple files into one large document. All translatable content appears in one panel. Swordfish has a view with a file list where you can select and filter the files that you want to work with.

Regards,
Rodolfo

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you everybody for your advice! Jul 24, 2011

Is auto-propagation always included in the option "multiple files"? I couldn't find anything regarding this subject.

Some time ago, I have used Déjà Vu for a trial period for a similar project and I loved it! I found it's very comfortable and easy to use, but too expensive (the pro version) for my actual needs, as such multiple files projects happen not more often than every once in a while.

I think I'll have a look into OmegaT.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which CAT-Tools support multiple files?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »