A Trados alternative for Windows 7 64-bit?
Thread poster: Pavel Constantinov

Pavel Constantinov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 11:55
Member (2016)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Jul 30, 2011

Hello, everyone!

I have the following situation, which I have been trying to solve for two months now. I have Trados 7.1 on my home PC with Windows XP. I recently purchased a laptop with Windows 7 64-bit. I was disappointed to see that Trados 7.1 does not work with Windows 7. Then I was disappointed to see that I can't even install SDL Trados 2009 and try it on Windows 7 64-bit due to "compatibility issues", foreseen by Microsoft. However, I do not care that much about SDL Trados 2009, since I strongly dislike it for being a resource-heavy, feature-restricting platform that deviates a long way from the regular ways of TagEditor and Trados that I am used to, and makes my translation life that much slower and harder.

After browsing through a multitude of forums and websites, I found out that the only alternative to Trados 7.1 that is similar to Trados 7 and might work on my Windows 7 is Trados 2007. I did try a demo version, and TagEditor did indeed work. However, my trial has now expired, and I can't find a way to purchase a license (SDL want me to buy SDL Trados 2009 instead). I am not happy with the company's inability to introduce retroactive compatibility, and I am also very disappointed with their lack of dedication to supporting their older versions (and I won't even mention the ridiculously high prices they charge for their software).

That is why I would like to ask if any of you could recommend an alternative to Trados that is known to work with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. I would need it to open and edit TTX and RTF files, mostly, and perhaps the odd XLIFF file. In an ideal world, this dream software would also be cheaper than the Trados license fee

I will be very grateful if some of you can help a fellow translator who wishes to find an alternative.

Thank you in advance!

[Edited at 2011-07-31 10:12 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Michal Glowacki  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 10:55
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
memoQ Jul 31, 2011

Hi Pavel,

I have Win 7 64 bit and I'm a memoQ user - I can strongly recommend it. It tackles TTX files (you will need Trados to create them and segment them), RTF files, XLIFF files (including SDLXLIFF) and all sorts of others (PPTX, XLSX, MIF, INX, IDML, etc.) The installer is something like 30 MB and eats much less resources than Trados. It's much easier to learn, cheaper and has some really neat features (track changes, term extraction, configurable short cuts) and fantastic support. Works like a charm under Win 7 64 bit, and if there's a bug or an error the support will help and most likely fix it quickly.

You can download a demo version that is fully functional for 45 days - there are no limitations whatsoever (www.kilgray.com). After that you buy a Pro license which is indefinite for the software itself, but entitles you to all upgrades (small and large) for a year + 4 hours of support. After that if you want to have the upgrades you only pay 20% of the full software price.

Currently there's a new "large" upgraded version 5.0.18, which is a "release candidate", which means it may still have some bugs or errors which are being fixed continuously until Kilgray decide they can release it as a fully new version. So if you want to try the latest one, please bear in mind that it still may have some glitches. You can download 4.5, which is the latest "official" released version and works great. I've been working with version 5.0 since it's release and it works great, so you can try it out too.

Of course, it's not perfect - but I consider it a serious alternative for Trados.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Michal

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
Swordfish Jul 31, 2011

It works in Windows 64-bit, handles segmented TTX files alright, it does handle Workbench RTF files (which it calls Tagged RTF) too, but occasionally there may be problems with this format.

It does handle most XLIFF files alright, because XLIFF is its native format, but there are different flavors of XLIFF files which come from other sources.

And it sure is cheaper that SDL Trados. Have a look at www.maxprograms.com

Regards,

Piotr

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I would go for memoQ Jul 31, 2011

I use memoQ for all my customers' Trados files (TTX and SDLXLIFF).

As Michal suggested, TTX files should be presegmented with Trados (Trados 2007 or earlier) so that they are 100% guaranteed compatible with Trados with you deliver them to your Trados-based customers. MemoQ can segment the files too, but it is not 100% guaranteed that the segmentation will be the same as Trados'. If you can't keep using Trados in your new platform, you can ask your customer to send you pre-segmented (i.e. pre-translated) TTX files and work happily with memoQ.

The TTX file format is bound to disappear from the market gradually, I reckon.

Gyula Erdész
Hungary
Member (2005)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
One more vote Jul 31, 2011

... for memoQ.

Easy to use, straightforward tool with all the functions that a freelancer could ever need. Its support team is outstanding.

Cheers,

Gyula

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:55
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Studio 2009 works perfectly on Widnows 7 64 bit Jul 31, 2011

Can't say for Trados 7.1, but I have both Trados 2007 and SDL Studio 2009 installed and working well on a Windows 7 64 bit installation.

If Trados 7.1 doesn't work or installs properly (possible, since it is older than Widows 7), you can always download (for free) and install the "Windows XP Mode", and install the oldre copy of Trados on the virtualized Windows XP (it should work, but I have not tested that myself).

MikeTrans
Germany
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
Studio 2009 CONTAINS Trados 2007 Suite (alias Trados 7.1) Aug 1, 2011

Hi Pavel,

I would buy the SDL Trados Studio 2009 (freelance or professional)

There are multiple advantages:

- The package will contain Trados Studio 2007 SP3:
This is a much improved version of your Trados 7.1 and will work in Win7. Just go on working the way you are familiar with.

- You may learn to handle Studio 2009 which has much better functionality:
All you can do in Trados 2007 you can also do in Studio (except bilingual Word files). A much better interface, new translation features.

- You can upgrade for free to the new SDL Trados Studio 2011 comming out end of this year
Here you can also handle bilingual Word files, plus a serie of new improvements.

So, there is no serious need for you to look for other solutions than those you are actually familiar with.

Greets,
Mike

[Edited at 2011-08-01 10:12 GMT]

Bulgaria
Member (2016)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 1, 2011

Thanks to everyone who replied. It looks like I will test the trial of MemoQ, and most probably migrate to it after it expires.

Piotr, thank you for your suggestion - I hadn't heard of Swordfish before, I will consider trying it as well.

Mike, thank you for your suggestion. However, I have worked with SDL Trados 2009 and personally, I can't say I'm a fan - I think it's very sluggish, compared to 7.1 or 2007, and I don't like the entire idea of creating projects and unnecessary "ProjectFiles" folders, instead of having a quick tool for work. Whenever the 2011 version comes out, I will take a look at it and perhaps think about purchasing a license for it, but since the price will probably be quite high, I am willing to try out the more "budgeted" alternatives first.

Thanks to everyone again - your help is much appreciated!

Have a great day

Kind regards from sunny Sofia, Bulgaria,
Pavel

Bulgaria
Member (2016)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Riccardo Aug 1, 2011

Riccardo, thank you for the information. Unfortunately, I have Windows 7 Home Premium, and this version does not "qualify" for using Virtual PC or Windows XP mode, so I can't emulate XP on my laptop.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A Trados alternative for Windows 7 64-bit?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search