Software for browsing TM segments
Thread poster: Katarzyna Beksa

Katarzyna Beksa
Local time: 03:24
Polish to English
+ ...
Jul 31, 2011

Hi,
I'm looking for software (free or payable) that allows for browsing TM databases. What I mean exactly is:
I have .doc files in two language versions. I make the alignment of these files and what I get is a .TMX file. Now I'd like to create a database of the files in this format which I could browse and search for chosen terms. I'd l ike the programme to show me the given segment, not the whole file.
Do you know any programmes that could solve my problem?

P Forgas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 23:24
Portuguese to Spanish
+ ...
wordfast Aug 1, 2011

or any other cat tool, really.

wordfast have a concordance search that does exactly what you are looking for.

P.

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 04:24
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
free tools Aug 1, 2011

Olifant and Xbench are great tools and moreover they are free.

MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Free... Aug 1, 2011

... Olifant from Okapi Frameworks
(don't know the link)

Xbench (free) , imports all database formats except Studio 2009 TMs.

(Sorry Selcuk, I haven't payed attention to your posticon_smile.gif

Mike

[Edited at 2011-08-01 10:18 GMT]

Katarzyna Beksa
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What about Trados? Sep 2, 2011

Thank you for your replies. Is it possible to do it using Trados? I know it doesn't support .tmx files, but maybe I could copy the text (in two columns) e.g. into Excel and then convert it and use it in Trados Multi Term. The question is: does it make sense to create a termbase if I have whole segments, not just single expressions? It seems to me that it would be more logical to create a translation memory, but I don't really know how I could do that. I have two .doc files and I can make the following formats from them: .xls (Excel), .tmx, htms, xml.
I also have WinAlign and it saves files in .tmx and .pjt (Trados WinAlign document) and projects in .txt. Can I use this format to import the data into a translation memory in Trados 2009 (if not, 2007)?

[Edited at 2011-09-02 12:03 GMT]

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Xbench will only import text formats Sep 2, 2011

MikeTrans wrote:
... Olifant from Okapi Frameworks
(don't know the link)

The link to Olifant is http://okapi.sourceforge.net/downloads.html

Olifant is currently a .NET application, ie. it only works in Windows. It will soon be ported to Java, which means it will also work in Mac and Linux.

MikeTrans wrote:
Xbench (free) , imports all database formats except Studio 2009 TMs.

Xbench will only work with text formats: it won't import binary formats like Trados Workbench, memoQ, Déja Vu etc.
So for instance in the case of Trados Workbench, you need to export the native TM (.TMW + 4 auxiliary files) to the export text format (.TXT) or to the TMX format before APSIC Xbench can import it.

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Xbench and Deja Vu X Sep 2, 2011

Dominique Pivard wrote:
Xbench will only work with text formats: it won't import binary formats like Trados Workbench, memoQ, Déja Vu etc.

Deja Vu X project and TM databases are fully supported by Xbench.

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
I stand corrected Sep 2, 2011

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:
Deja Vu X project and TM databases are fully supported by Xbench.

I stand corrected: "Déjà Vu X/Idiom memory" is indeed one of the file types one can add in an Xbench project.

Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
yes, Trados can do that Sep 2, 2011

Katarzyna Beksa wrote:

Thank you for your replies. Is it possible to do it using Trados? I know it doesn't support .tmx files,

Trados 2009 ("Studio") does support .tmx (as does Trados 2007's Workbench).

Regarding Studio:
It will automatically upgrade the .tmx to a .sdltm (Studio's TM format) when you open the file ("Open TM" in the "Translation memory" view) or add it to a project as a TM.
You simply need to select ".tmx"in the drop down menu in the right bottom angle of the window that pops up when you are requested to designate the TM you want to open (or you won't be able to see the file at all).

You can then browse the TM, use filters etc. in the "Translation memory" view.
See for instance
http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL%20Trados%20Studio/client_en/TM_View/TMviewworkinginthetmviewOverview.htm
http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL%20Trados%20Studio/client_en/Introducing/inintroducingsdltradosstudiointroducingtheviews.htm

I agree with you that it would be far more simple to create and then work with a TM rather than with a Termbase, if your aim is to browse segments.

Hope this helps.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Software for browsing TM segments

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search