Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Latest position on CAT tools
Thread poster: Spencer Allman
Spencer Allman
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:43
Finnish to English
Aug 26, 2011

I know this is a well worn topic, but what is the latest position on CAT tools?

Which is the best, most reliable, most compatible and easiest to learn how to use? Which have free trial downloads?

Many thanks and sorry to be boring

Direct link Reply with quote

Hermann Bruns  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:43
English to German
For an overview, see Wikipedia Aug 26, 2011

Hi Spencer,

for an overview of available tools, see this Wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer-assisted_translation

There is no "latest position". There are your needs, your budget, and the available tools. You need to test a few trial versions and find out which tool meets your needs best.

If you like to work inside Word and if ease-of-use is important for you, MetaTexis for Word might be a good choice (www.metatexis.com).

Best regards
Hermann

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Why this question? Aug 27, 2011

Spencer Allman wrote:

I know this is a well worn topic, but what is the latest position on CAT tools?

Which is the best, most reliable, most compatible and easiest to learn how to use? Which have free trial downloads?

Many thanks and sorry to be boring

Hello Spencer,
I am taking the opportunity of your question to highlight a fact which I find rather comical (and saddening at the same time), and please understand this is nothing personal.

This being:
There have indeed been many similar questions about CAT tools, and many colleagues trying out the demo versions.
Nevertheless and when it comes to making a decision, I have noticed that the majority of said colleagues succumb to market pressure and buy the tool most requested by translation agencies.

This looks like a tragic joke to me.

aliyucel  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 00:43
English to Turkish
+ ...
True. Aug 27, 2011

Unfortunately, what Laurent says is true. I myself have bought that one just because of the same reason. I felt like I needed to go with the flow on this one. I guess that's why its price is so high. Too high for an application of its capabilities in fact. Which one am I talking about? Yeah, you are right; SDL Trados of course.

Alexandra Staneva  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 00:43
Member (2008)
Bulgarian to English
+ ...
amazing Aug 27, 2011

Hello,

I would like to share a curious fact about a translation agency in the USA.

I was asked about my capacity per day for translation. I answered and proudly announced that, if I use Trados, I can translate even more words per day.

What was my surprise when I received the following answer:

"Please be advised that we never allow the use of Trados. We always provide human translations to our clients."
"We would love to work with you, but due to the fact that you use Trados, we cannot work with you."

I, of course, provided a brief description of Trados and links, but there was no answer at all on their part.

So, as you see, the use of CAT Tools depends totally on you and on the agency you work with - some like them and insist on using, while others do not know what are these tools!

[Edited at 2011-08-27 08:36 GMT]

xxxkalap
It is a tragical joke Aug 27, 2011

But also a proof that despite all education forums as this one do, los of people think that translation is the same thing as owning a CAT tool, or this special CAT tool. And sorry, but if they think that, they are worth the special prices and price reductions which come with this tool.

Come all and you will receive high standard and interesting jobs and deliver quality translations? no, it just doesn't work like that. They will be fishing in a big, big pond.

And that's why I think that the original poster's question is a very valid one. The Wikipedia article is not up-to-date and does not give motivated opinions.

France
French to German
+ ...
This is going to be a pleasant thread... Aug 27, 2011

I like the way some agencies forbid the use of any CAT tool -and probably make no difference between CATs and MTs- while others insist on it.

A fact such agencies don't know is that you can use the CAT tool of your choice without them noticing the slightest difference (and your work will of course remain a "human translation").

Spencer Allman
United Kingdom
Finnish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Any recommendations, though? Aug 27, 2011

Which would you recommend, if any?

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
too general Aug 27, 2011

I mean, there are too many factors on which a selection of a suitable CAT tool (or any piece fo software) depends, like the purpose you want it for, your personal preferences, your business plan (at least how much you can afford to spend and what ROI you expect)...

Antonin

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Recommendation Aug 27, 2011

Hi Spencer,

If you are a beginner and haven't used any CAT tools so far, I really recommend to start with Metatexis. I myself started from Metatexis a few years ago, and I believe it was a good start point. Metatexis is user-friendly, the support by Hermann, its developer, is excellent, it is compatible with other file formats including Trados, so there will be no major difficulties here. There is a free 'Lite' version, download it and try. It will be much easier for you to learn using other tools if you would like to use them afterwards.

Natalia

France
French to German
+ ...
Wikipedia is an encyclopedia... Aug 27, 2011

kalap wrote:

(.../...)

And that's why I think that the original poster's question is a very valid one. The Wikipedia article is not up-to-date and does not give motivated opinions.

Wikipedia is an encyclopedia, not a benchmarking site.

As per benchmarking itself, I must admit that I like the way in which CAT publishers underline the strengths of their tool while leaving its weaknesses in the shadow.

In other words: I have yet to see an objective benchmark between all the tools enumerated in the Wikipedia article.

That is if it would make sense, but here I already hear CAT publishers shouting "No, no, no - you cannot compare tools because ours is much more {insert appropriate adjective about the alleged superiority of that specific CAT here}".

@ Spencer: I'd give Wordfast Anywhere more than just a try (see http://freetm.com for details).

[Edited at 2011-08-27 10:01 GMT]

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Not the best advice, I am afraid... Aug 27, 2011

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:
A fact such agencies don't know is that you can use the CAT tool of your choice without them noticing the slightest difference (and your work will of course remain a "human translation").

This is hardly a "fact". In fact, for someone who is just seeking (his first?) CAT tool, it can be very misleading.

The formats required by the agencies are hardly interchangeable and in case of many jobs the agency will, in fact, "notice" that you tried to use another tool, if only by the fact that you are not able to deliver the job at all...

I am a self-professed CAT hopper, that is I always try to move from the tools the agencies demand to the tool I like, but it is not always easy and you have to be very aware of the issues you might encounter. You need a full bag of tricks and workarounds for that...

As for the recommendations, I am sorry, but all of them will be useless at this point. First you have to specify your requirements and your clients' needs.

Some points to consider:
- Do your clients require use of specific tools/formats? How often? Which tools do they want? (Obviously, try to factor in your future clients - but "I have tool A, I will have plenty of work now" simply does not work.)
- What is your specialization? It will be very different for someone dealing mostly with IT localizations and for someone translating general texts. I see from your profile that it will probably be the latter.
- What file formats are involved? Consider both the formats you usually translate and every format that was ever requested from you. If the given tool does not support all formats, what would be the impact on your business if you had to refuse some of the jobs/do them manually in another software.
- What are your expectations toward the tool? Ease of use, configurability, clear interface, reliability - these are quite different between the tools.
- What features will be most useful for you? This might not be easy to answer now, but they might make a difference, too. For example, if you translate lots of materials with very similar phrases/subsegments (not likely in your case, I guess), you need a tool that can take advantage of that. Will you rely on TM lookup only, or use concordance a lot? Etc.

Anil Gidwani  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 03:13
German to English
+ ...
I recommend memoQ Aug 27, 2011

Hi Spencer,

I would recommend memoQ for it superb features, its intuitive user interface and much, much more.

Plus your clients never need know you are NOT working with Trados, since it allows you to generate a Trados unclean file when you finish translating. Note: You probably need to have a copy of Trados anyway to deal with any glitches in the unclean file.

It also allows you to generate a bilingual Word file in tabular format to 'make' an agency think you didn't use a CAT tool at all, if that's what makes them comfortable.

It is very reliable, very compatible, very easy to learn and has a free 45-day (!) trial download with no limit to the number of languages you can work with.

Anil

[Edited at 2011-08-27 11:22 GMT]

France
French to German
+ ...
Don't get me wrong. Aug 27, 2011

Jabberwock wrote:

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

This is hardly a "fact". In fact, for someone who is just seeking (his first?) CAT tool, it can be very misleading.

(.../...)

Don't get me wrong, I was replying to Alexandra and her post about this "no-CAT agency".
In this very context, she may use the CAT of her choice and deliver only so-called clean files in the original format without the agency noticing anything.
The CAT tool one uses to process any given files does not matter if the agency prefers ignoring the very existence of CAT tools, insists on "human translation" and only wants the files translated in the TL... or am I missing something?

This furthermore allows me to widen the debate: are translators looking for a CAT tool in order to use it for their own convenience or to comply with the requirements of agencies demanding X, Y or Z CAT tool for any reason they deem reasonable?

Please note that my posts are neither a rant against the "CAT market leader", nor an attempt to (mis)lead colleagues towards a certain tool of my choice.

[Edited at 2011-08-27 12:22 GMT]

Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Totally sympathise with the asker Aug 27, 2011

I'm not going to add anything revelatory here. But I have to sympathise with the asker.
Especially for newborn or aspiring translators (such as me)...

This whole area of CAT tools is just a minefield.

Firstly, there are just so many.....but then (if you believe the hype) it appears the holy grail of CAT is Trados.

But wait, even a cursory glance at the forums reveals that Trados is so full of bugs and ghosts in the machine that even if you were that rich that you could afford it (and its extortionate!) you probably would have to think twice. On top of that, they are worse than Apple for releasing new versions every 2 years or so.

Some people tell you to avoid them (CAT) like the plague, others tell you that you can't possibly function as a translator without one...

It seems like a lose-lose situation.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Latest position on CAT tools

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search