CAT tools — server version
Thread poster: FannieL
Sep 24, 2011

Hello everyone,

I'm new on the site, so I hope I do this right!

I'm responsible for finding a new software solution for my company (6 translators/proofreaders + 6 freelancers). We've been using SDLX for years now, and, for us, it has worked very well, but since it can't process some formats (Office 2007 for example) we are forced to make a change.

So now, I'm thinking that a server solution might be a good idea...

We are currently trying MemoQ Server 5, and, while it is has some really interesting features, there's a lot of steps, which will slow us down in a significant way.

I was wondering if any of you have tried a simpler server solution: the less steps, the better. We are an advertising company, and sometimes we only have a couple of minutes to translate and proofread an entire project. We also need everybody to be able to work on a same project (giving “permission” to access the project and changing the project status in MemoQ is kind of a drag for us).

Thanks for your help,

F.

Hermann Bruns  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:54
English to German
MetaTexis Sep 24, 2011

Hello,

the MetaTexis Server might be an option for you. It is a pure TM and TDB server (no project managment). And
the client, MetaTexis for Word, is easy-to-use and works in all Word versions. To download the trial version of MetaTexis for Word, go to www.metatexis.com. For a trial version of the MetaTexis Server, contact support@metatexis.com.

Best regards
Hermann Bruns

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:54
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
memoQ Server Sep 24, 2011

We are an in-house team of 4 people working together all the time, and do approximately 7-8 different projects every day.

I am wondering whether your method to create a project is the ideal one. May I ask you for how many different accounts do you work? We work on a regular basis for some 20 agencies and probably 60 different end customers, many of them every week and even every day, some of them every couple of months, some of them once a year.

In addition to medium-sized projects, we very often get that kind of tiny projects made up of two sentences the customer forgot to add somewhere. These have to be turned around really quickly, and it only takes 1 minute to have the file ready for translation and review. The trick? A very simple one: we have one project already created for that account with all the right settings, memories, termbases, and users, and when a new file comes we simply add it to the project and assign it to the people who will do it.

There is no need at all to create a whole project for each file! Just recycle the projects for each of your accounts.

We have had memoQ Server since September 2009 (after working with Trados for over a decade), and our company has changed completely for the good thanks to memoQ. I would encourage you to try the recycleable projects and see whether this solves the problem you describe. Feel free to email me if you feel I can be of any help!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT tools — server version

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search