Idiom: Opening several files at once. How?
Thread poster: Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:40
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Oct 14, 2011

Dear colleagues,

I am wondering if it is somehow possible to open several Idiom files at once on the same PC. At times I need an older file for reference, but I don't want to merge the TMs for good reason. Idiom apparently will not allow several open files at the same time and I have to use two laptops side-by-side. Is there a solution, or what am I doing wrong?

I am working with Idiom WorldServer Desktop Workbench 9.0.1.49 on Windows7 Professional. Also: I received my
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I am wondering if it is somehow possible to open several Idiom files at once on the same PC. At times I need an older file for reference, but I don't want to merge the TMs for good reason. Idiom apparently will not allow several open files at the same time and I have to use two laptops side-by-side. Is there a solution, or what am I doing wrong?

I am working with Idiom WorldServer Desktop Workbench 9.0.1.49 on Windows7 Professional. Also: I received my copy of this software from my client and it might not be the full version.

Thank you so much in advance for your advice.

Best,

Nicole
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 22:40
English to Turkish
+ ...
Open a new instance of Idiom Oct 14, 2011

Just an idea, maybe you can start a new instance of Idiom and open the other file. AFAIK, Idiom's technology is partly based on DVX and one can open several files in new instances of DVX.

Wieland Haselbauer
Wieland Haselbauer  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:40
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Use MemoQ professional in Win7 to open multiple XLZ files Oct 14, 2011

Hello Nicole
The idiom version which you have is the editor version for translators.

Opening Idiom files in DVX is possible, but a nightmare: unzipping the XLZ file, importing the XLF file embedded, translating the XLF file, exporting and rezipping XLF and renaming the ZIP into XLZ.

Use memoQ (translator /professional version) to import and export XLZ files directly.
You can search in the complete MemoQ project (all files). The only disadvantage for me is th
... See more
Hello Nicole
The idiom version which you have is the editor version for translators.

Opening Idiom files in DVX is possible, but a nightmare: unzipping the XLZ file, importing the XLF file embedded, translating the XLF file, exporting and rezipping XLF and renaming the ZIP into XLZ.

Use memoQ (translator /professional version) to import and export XLZ files directly.
You can search in the complete MemoQ project (all files). The only disadvantage for me is that each file opens as a separate tab, not as 1 table as in Dejavu X.

Good luck
Wieland Haselbauer
Kubus Translations
http://www.kubus-translations.com
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Export from older file? Oct 14, 2011

Nicole Schnell wrote:
At times I need an older file for reference, but I don't want to merge the TMs for good reason.

If you can't figure out how to do it, then a secondary solution would be to export the segments of the old TM and convert it to a format that you can consult.

For example, if you export "segments" (can't remember the exact item's name) it creates a plaintext file containing only the segments currently filtered-in, and you can convert that to an MS Word table or Excel sheet (I recorded an MS Word macro that does just that for me).

Or, you can export to XLZ, unzip it (it is just a zip file with a fancy file extension) and open the XLF file in it using an XLF viewer (as far as I know Virtaal can open Idiom's XLF files).

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
Perhaps I wasn't clear enough Oct 14, 2011

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:
Just an idea, maybe you can start a new instance of Idiom and open the other file. AFAIK, Idiom's technology is partly based on DVX and one can open several files in new instances of DVX.

Wieland Haselbauer wrote:

Hi Wieland,

Although it is possible, I didn't suggest using DVX for Idiom projects. DVX, and if I am not mistaken Studio can be opened in several instances. And perhaps that applies to Idiom as well. Merely an assumption!

Selcuk

Adam Łobatiuk
Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Multiple TMs Oct 14, 2011

If you work locally, you should be able to add TMs from your previous projects without merging them.

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Xbench Oct 14, 2011

Open older files in Xbench and search there.

(Xbench can handle WSTM, WSTD, and WSPJ files.)

[Редактировалось 2011-10-14 12:28 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
How? Oct 14, 2011

Adam Łobatiuk wrote:
If you work locally, you should be able to add TMs from your previous projects without merging them.

How would one do that?

Adam Łobatiuk
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
@Samuel Oct 14, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:

Adam Łobatiuk wrote:

How would one do that?

Go to Project > Configuration > Databases > Add.

BTW, thank you for the fantastic script for Idiom

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Adam (off-topic) Oct 17, 2011

Adam Łobatiuk wrote:

Which version do you use (what is its name)? I've been neglecting to upload the very latest versions, thinking that no-one uses them anyway.

Adam Łobatiuk
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
@Samuel Oct 17, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:

Adam Łobatiuk wrote:

Which version do you use (what is its name)? I've been neglecting to upload the very latest versions, thinking that no-one uses them anyway.

Idiom WorldServer Desktop Workbench 9.0.1.60

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Idiom: Opening several files at once. How?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »