Thread poster: XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:23
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Oct 18, 2011

Why have I received an e-mail this morning from an address that I cannot reply to telling me I have a new account in Translation Workspace, giving me a username and password and thanking me for choosing it? Anyone know?

Michael Davies
Michael Davies  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 14:23
Member (2009)
Danish to English
+ ...
Not free - after the expiry of 30 day trial period Oct 18, 2011

Translation Workspace is the on-line translation tool of GeoWorkz (www.geoworkz.com), used by Lionbridge - see https://www.geoworkz.com/Products/AboutTranslationWorkspace.aspx.

It would be surprising if a translation workspace account has been set up in your name without your
... See more
Translation Workspace is the on-line translation tool of GeoWorkz (www.geoworkz.com), used by Lionbridge - see https://www.geoworkz.com/Products/AboutTranslationWorkspace.aspx.

It would be surprising if a translation workspace account has been set up in your name without your knowing about it. Could it, perhaps, be one of your clients who has an agreement with Lionbridge / Geoworkz?

After the expiry of the 30 day trial period, TWS costs €10 per month and can be used for translation of up to 5,000 words - additional capacity can be purchased if required.
Regards,

Michael J.H. Davies,
MJD Translating,
Denmark
Collapse

XXXphxxx (X)
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not from a client Oct 18, 2011

...as far as I know. The e-mail apears to come directly from them. I haven't clicked on the link as I'm not sure if it's phishing.

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Check out their cancellation policy Oct 18, 2011

You can read more in this thread.

Best,
Attila

XXXphxxx (X)
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Just a teensy-weensy bit disingenuous Oct 18, 2011

to try and lure people in like this. Oddly enough I've come across agencies (other than the owner of this software obviously) who say they can only give me work if I use TWS. What's in it for them?

Adam Łobatiuk
Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
@Lisa Oct 18, 2011

Lisa Simpson wrote:

to try and lure people in like this. Oddly enough I've come across agencies (other than the owner of this software obviously) who say they can only give me work if I use TWS. What's in it for them?

They've probably invested in a TWS account and want a ROI. They might also believe in the benefits of simultaneous access to their TMs by multiple translators. Plus TWS gives translators less favourable analysis results.

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
Some agencies work for Lionbridge Oct 18, 2011

Some agencies use TWS (and require their freelancers to do the same) simply because they are suppliers to Lionbridge. Does that influence rates "offered" to freelancers? You do the math!
However, the agencies may supply you with TWS account details so that you can avoid buying a licence yourself.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Not having to worry about different CAT tools Oct 18, 2011

Lisa Simpson wrote:
Oddly enough I've come across agencies ... who say they can only give me work if I use TWS. What's in it for them?

The advantage for an agency if all his translators use the same tool is that workflow is a lot smoother -- no need to deal with translators who had thought that their tool was compatible but then turned out to be incompatible in some or other minor but essential way. The same applies to files delivered by translators using other tools -- a malformed file may not be detected until later in the workflow process, by which time the agency PM has to spend time trying to figure out why something broke.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is TWS free?

Translation news related to CAT tools

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »