https://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/214076-xliff_change_%22not_translated%22_to_%22translated%22.html

XLIFF: change "not translated" to "translated"?
Thread poster: Heike Behl, Ph.D.
Heike Behl, Ph.D.
Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 21:33
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Dec 13, 2011

This is the first time I am asked to translate an XLIFF file.
Since neither Trados nor MemoQ wanted to open it at first, I looked a bit closer at the XML code.
I noticed that untranslated target strings have the attribute "not translated"; the already translated strings in the file are marked "translated".

After removing an initial - apparently stray - question mark (the error message complained about line 1, column 1), the file opens in Trados and MemoQ and the strings
... See more
This is the first time I am asked to translate an XLIFF file.
Since neither Trados nor MemoQ wanted to open it at first, I looked a bit closer at the XML code.
I noticed that untranslated target strings have the attribute "not translated"; the already translated strings in the file are marked "translated".

After removing an initial - apparently stray - question mark (the error message complained about line 1, column 1), the file opens in Trados and MemoQ and the strings can be translated.

My question is: Shouldn't the attribute "not translated" be changed into "translated" automatically? Since this doesn't seem to happen, is this something I need to worry about? Replace this string manually afterwards?

Thanks!
Heike
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:33
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Studio would do that Dec 13, 2011

I do not know about MemoQ, but if you translate a XLIFF file in Studio, the attribute can be changed accordingly when producing target.
TagEditor does not have this option afair, so you would need to change the status manualy by search & replace afterwards.

Heike Behl, Ph.D.
Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 21:33
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
:-) Dec 13, 2011

Doing this manually afterwards will definitely be a lot faster than installing Studio...

Thanks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

XLIFF: change "not translated" to "translated"?

Translation news related to CAT tools

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »