https://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/214897-unable_to_make_clean_file_in_tageditor.html

Unable to make clean file in TagEditor
Thread poster: Elvira Schmid
Elvira Schmid
Elvira Schmid  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:06
English to German
Dec 27, 2011

After finishing the translation of a Word File in TagEditor I save the target file
and when I want to open the target I get the message "Datei möglicherweise beschädigt".
Since this was a formatted I tried the preview button, but I do not get a preview of the file in Word.
Any ideas how to solve this issue?
SDL Trados 2007
Windows 2007

Thank you

Gustavo Martínez Ursi
Gustavo Martínez Ursi
Australia
Local time: 14:06
Spanish to English
+ ...
Open the original in TE, translate and clean again. Dec 27, 2011

Hi Elvira.

I don´t understand the error message (it looks like German, which is not one of my languages), but I have sometimes had problems with TagEditor when attempting to clean bilingual files after translating the whole document.

What has sometimes got me out of trouble was to open the original document (.doc) in TagEditor and save it as a bilingual file again (.doc.ttx). Then I translate to fuzzy (which, assuming you've already translated the document, should tran
... See more
Hi Elvira.

I don´t understand the error message (it looks like German, which is not one of my languages), but I have sometimes had problems with TagEditor when attempting to clean bilingual files after translating the whole document.

What has sometimes got me out of trouble was to open the original document (.doc) in TagEditor and save it as a bilingual file again (.doc.ttx). Then I translate to fuzzy (which, assuming you've already translated the document, should translate most of it for you automatically), and clean it again.

I usually get this problem when I move the document and the translation memory from one computer to another, or from one folder to another.

I may be barking up the wrong tree because, as I say, I don´t know what your error message means, but I hope it helps.

Good luck.
Collapse

Paraskevas Stavrakos
Paraskevas Stavrakos  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 07:06
Member (2011)
English to Greek
+ ...
Word version Dec 27, 2011

Maybe this problem is related to the Word version. I get similar problems when I
translate a file which has been created with (or has been saved as) Word 1997-2003. Although I can work with the file in Tageditor (2007), when I try to do preview or save target as, a problem arises.

If I save the source file as .docx in Word 2007 then preview and save target as work fine.

Another solution to the problem would be to work with word-wokbench. You have already translat
... See more
Maybe this problem is related to the Word version. I get similar problems when I
translate a file which has been created with (or has been saved as) Word 1997-2003. Although I can work with the file in Tageditor (2007), when I try to do preview or save target as, a problem arises.

If I save the source file as .docx in Word 2007 then preview and save target as work fine.

Another solution to the problem would be to work with word-wokbench. You have already translated the file so the segments are included in the TM.

[Edited at 2011-12-27 14:14 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-12-27 14:26 GMT]
Collapse

Elvira Schmid
Elvira Schmid  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:06
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Pakos! Dec 27, 2011

This solution worked!
I saved the file as Word2000, re-translated it with TagEditor and cleaned the file
in TagEditor, and suddenly I get a formatted Word file in the target language!

Thank you soooo much!

Paraskevas Stavrakos
Paraskevas Stavrakos  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 07:06
Member (2011)
English to Greek
+ ...
You're welcome Dec 27, 2011

Glad to have helped you!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unable to make clean file in TagEditor

Translation news related to CAT tools

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »