Yiftah Hellerman-Carmel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:23
Member (2005)
German to Hebrew
+ ...
Dec 30, 2011

Hello,

I have just received a project with SDLX. I have never translated with SDLX before, but I accepted this since I thought it can't be that complicated once I know so many other CAT tools. But it is different, and I encountered some problems. I read some of the documentation, but it did not answer my questions.
I would appreciate any help. I guess that my questions are really ones of a novice, and I apologize for that.

1) Why does SDLX inserted automatically t
... See more
Hello,

I have just received a project with SDLX. I have never translated with SDLX before, but I accepted this since I thought it can't be that complicated once I know so many other CAT tools. But it is different, and I encountered some problems. I read some of the documentation, but it did not answer my questions.
I would appreciate any help. I guess that my questions are really ones of a novice, and I apologize for that.

1) Why does SDLX inserted automatically the source sentences into the target fields?
2) The analysis that the customer sent me indicates many 100% matches, but during my work I received no matches at all. (I am not finished yet, of course, but still, it does not make sense)
3) I tried running an analysis in order to make sure that I have the correct TM, but SDLX could not complete the analysis and I get an error message "Analysis was interrupted"

The main issue is the matches of course, since half of the document is supposed to be 100% match, and I do not wish to re-translate all of this.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 03:23
English to Thai
+ ...
SDLX Dec 30, 2011

1) Why does SDLX inserted automatically the source sentences into the target fields?
You can select not to add source texts in SDL Edit options.
2) The analysis that the customer sent me indicates many 100% matches, but during my work I received no matches at all. (I am not finished yet, of course, but still, it does not make sense)
TM setting discrepancy e.g. setting of formats, tags.
3) I tried running an analysis in order to make sure that I have the correct TM, but SD
... See more
You can select not to add source texts in SDL Edit options.
TM setting discrepancy e.g. setting of formats, tags.
3) I tried running an analysis in order to make sure that I have the correct TM, but SDLX could not complete the analysis and I get an error message "Analysis was interrupted"
Settings tabs for SDL Analysis must be selected before running analysis.
Soonthon Lupkitaro
Collapse

Jing Nie
Jing Nie
China
Local time: 04:23
Member (2011)
English to Chinese
+ ...
You are using SDLX lite? Dec 30, 2011

Just delete the target and write down your translation.
If it shows 100% match , the client must have a TM, but it seems that you did not receive it or you did not open it.(Translation Memory>open , and find
... See more
Just delete the target and write down your translation.
If it shows 100% match , the client must have a TM, but it seems that you did not receive it or you did not open it.(Translation Memory>open , and find the TM and open it.)
I do not know.

[修改时间: 2011-12-30 14:47 GMT]
Collapse

Yiftah Hellerman-Carmel
Germany
Member (2005)
German to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I also suspected Dec 30, 2011

that the client sent me the wrong TM, but since I am new to SDLX, I Wanted to make sure that I was not doing anything wrong.
I wrote to the client about this, and I Am awaiting his answer.

Thank you both for your help.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 23:23
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Matches should be inserted already Dec 31, 2011

If the client has used the correct TM those 100 percent matches should be inserted at the right column. And all less than 100 % should be copied from the source, so you can replace theses with your own translation. Copying the source segments into target column makes sense, since you can handle formatting more easily in that manner.
Using the right TM you should be able to update your file so the matches are applied (Translation memory - Apply).

Yiftah Hellerman-Carmel
Germany
Member (2005)
German to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Heinrich, Dec 31, 2011

I tried your suggestion - Translation Memory -> Apply - and no matches (but what I have done so far, of course). So I guess that the client really did send me the wrong TM.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Basic help with SDLX

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »