Thread poster: sjmdcl (X)
sjmdcl (X)
sjmdcl (X)
Local time: 18:40
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 8, 2012

Hello colleagues,

Has anyone had the same problem? The time you gain using CAT Tools is lost fixing formatting issues. Final gain = zero.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:40
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
This is too easy... Feb 8, 2012

It depends on what and where you do how.
In fact even if you do not use CAT and need to translate a badly converted PDF in Word, you will spend ages on repairing the formatting.
And when you have to translate Framemaker or InDesign, you will only be able to do that with a CAT tool, unless you buy yourself a copy of Framemaker, InDesign and other major DTP tools.

As for repairing the formatting - also this depends strongly on what and where.
Usually the "fixing of f
... See more
It depends on what and where you do how.
In fact even if you do not use CAT and need to translate a badly converted PDF in Word, you will spend ages on repairing the formatting.
And when you have to translate Framemaker or InDesign, you will only be able to do that with a CAT tool, unless you buy yourself a copy of Framemaker, InDesign and other major DTP tools.

As for repairing the formatting - also this depends strongly on what and where.
Usually the "fixing of formatting" you refer too should not be our job at all.
But if we stay in Word and refer just to it (because I can really hardly assume you were referring to anything else) the major issues in "normal" (means not OCRed) Word files can be fixed within seconds.

So if you want to make such general statements be more specific and name the tools and formats used, the methods of work and the formating which needs to be fixed.
If you want a general answer to this general statement, so my answer is clearly "this is absolutely NOT true".
Collapse

sjmdcl (X)
sjmdcl (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm working on a simple Word 2007 document which has... Feb 8, 2012

...many sections and subsections and the CAT tool didn't respect them and now everything is a mess.

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Little formatting required - one of the major advantages of CAT tools Feb 8, 2012

No idea what you refer to. In my opinion it is one of the biggest advantages of CAT tools that they preserve the formatting.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Looks like you have an OCRed PDF file Feb 8, 2012

Many section breaks are typical for a badly converted PDF.
And I can almost guarantee you, that you would have to fix the formatting even if not working with any CAT tool, unless the language you translate into uses plain ASCII characters and is more or less exactly same long as the source text.

Frank van Thienen (X)
Frank van Thienen (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:40
Dutch to English
questionable CAT tool? Feb 8, 2012

sjmdcl wrote:
...many sections and subsections and the CAT tool didn't respect them and now everything is a mess.

Maybe try another CAT tool to see what it does with your document. As was mentioned, a CAT tool should maintain all formatting, even if the original formatting is messed up.

If you have an OCR-ed PDF mess to deal with, try CodeZapper to clean it up, before you take it into your CAT tool. ( http://asap-traduction.com/CodeZapper )

HTH
Frank

sjmdcl (X)
sjmdcl (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the piece of advice! Feb 8, 2012

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Why bother? Feb 8, 2012

I see myself as a wordsmith/translator and consider formatting - and in fact anything else that does not concern the words and their meaning of the text per se - as frippery, mere icing on the cake, best left up to someone who does it well and enjoys it.

I just don't see the point of using tools that help translate the words but screw up the formatting which then takes forever to put back together, so I usually tell my clients that the formatting, font size, colouring etc may vary
... See more
I see myself as a wordsmith/translator and consider formatting - and in fact anything else that does not concern the words and their meaning of the text per se - as frippery, mere icing on the cake, best left up to someone who does it well and enjoys it.

I just don't see the point of using tools that help translate the words but screw up the formatting which then takes forever to put back together, so I usually tell my clients that the formatting, font size, colouring etc may vary from the original they supply and 99% of the time they are OK with that, as they often tweak them a bit themselves later anyway.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT Tools Time you Gain Spent in Fixing Formatting

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »