Which CAT has most versatile auto-propagate?
Thread poster: Jan Sundström

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 08:54
English to Swedish
+ ...
Feb 16, 2012

Hi all,

I have one huge file containing items from a web shop, like:
Levi's 501 jeans wide S
Levi's 501 jeans wide M
Levi's 501 jeans wide L
Levi's 501 jeans wide XL
Levi's 501 jeans wide XXL
Levi's 511 jeans narrow S

I know that most tools have an auto-propagate feature (Trados Studio, Wordfast, SDLX, MemoQ, Across...), but I haven't tried it.

Is there any CAT where I can adjust it to propagate "near-repetitions", i e segments identical except for digits and capital letters?

Which other settings would be useful to tweak in this scenario?

Thanks!

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Not Wordfast Feb 16, 2012

Jan Sundström wrote:
Is there any CAT where I can adjust it to propagate "near-repetitions", i e segments identical except for digits and capital letters?

WFC can propagate near repetitions with number differences, but not with letter differences. Also the number differences need to be separate numbers and they need to be US English numbers, so "Levi's 501a" will not propagate to "Levi's 501b", and "now only 2,00 euro" will not propagate to "now only 3,00 euro".

starspain
Spain
Spanish to German
+ ...
Transit can do this Feb 16, 2012

In Transit, you can can define any string as a "pretranslation exception" and thus catch all the different variants you show in your message.

Regards, Michael

[quote]Jan Sundström wrote:

Hi all,

Johan Kjallman  Identity Verified
Member (2008)
Italian to Swedish
+ ...
MemoQ Auto-translation rules + pre-translate with Fragment assembling Feb 16, 2012

Hej Jan,

I don't think that you can auto-propagate near-repetitions in MemoQ, as this is a function only intended for identical repetitions AFAIK.
What you can do is set up auto-translation rules with regex expressions for each part of the segments, and then pre-translate the text with "Fragment assembling" activated. I just tried it on your example segments and it worked very well.
You could also use the regex tagger to turn the sizes (S, L, XL) etc. into tags which will be automatically replaced during translation in the grid. The tags won't get inserted through pre-translation though I think, so it's probably better to play around with the auto-translation rules if you choose to give MemoQ a try.

BR /Johan

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Johan Feb 16, 2012

Johan Kjallman wrote:
You could also use the regex tagger to turn the sizes (S, L, XL) etc. into tags which will be automatically replaced during translation in the grid.

In WFC you can also mark the sizes as tw4winInternal style, which turns them into placeables, so then they will propagate, but the user has to alter the source text to accomplish that. I wonder if Trados 2009 will do this, since it can treat acronymns as placeables.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
... and in Studio... Feb 16, 2012

... you can set the AP to autopropagate any percentage of near match you like. So in your example I can AP all of them with the numbers being correctly AP'd, but the letters at the end won't. So I get this after the first one:

Levi's 501 jeans wide S
Levi's 501 jeans wide S
Levi's 501 jeans wide S
Levi's 501 jeans wide S
Levi's 501 jeans wide S
Levi's 511 jeans wide S

The rest are all AP'd fuzzy matches.

However, if I also add S, M, L, XL, XXL to the variable list then they are all AP'd correctly where they all become 100% matches apart from the last one that remains a fuzzy because of the word "narrow" instead of "wide".

Levi's 501 jeans wide S
Levi's 501 jeans wide M
Levi's 501 jeans wide L
Levi's 501 jeans wide XL
Levi's 501 jeans wide XXL
Levi's 511 jeans wide S

Regards

Paul

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
So, not possible in Trados 2009, then? Feb 16, 2012

SDL Support wrote:
However, if I also add S, M, L, XL, XXL to the variable list then they are all AP'd correctly where they all become 100% matches...

Aah, so not all acrynomyns are placeables in Trados 2009 -- one has to add them to something called a variable list. This would mean that Trados 2009's handling of this issue is pretty much the same as various other tools -- it can't autopropagate these without some tweaking first.

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Any Across user here? Feb 16, 2012

Interesting!

I didn't know about the special functions of MemoQ.
Does Trados have auto-translate rules, and anything similar to Fragment Assembly?

And what about Across, does the freelance edition come with any of these features? I actually dropped a question to their presale dept this morning, but haven't gotten any answer yet...icon_smile.gif

When snooping around, I found another translator who had the same scenario. His idea was to enter the recurring variables as terms, but using autoprogagataion + auto-translate rules + fragment assembly seems much more powerful.
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/215105-can_tb_auto_translate_terms.html

Johan Kjallman  Identity Verified
Member (2008)
Italian to Swedish
+ ...
Fragment assembly in combination with termbase Feb 16, 2012

Hi again,

I think that MemoQ is very powerful for these tasks. The Fragment assembly function does pick results both from the auto-translation rules and the term bases. As it's easier to add terms on the fly than auto-translation rules, it's probably a good idea to use termbase entries for most words in combination with auto-translation rules for numbers that needs to be converted in a special way and probably also for very short words such as S, M, L etc.
I'm still in the phase of exploring these functions, so someone more experienced will be able to tell you how to setup your workflow if you're interested.

If you combine this with the correct options in the Automatic Lookup and Insertion dialogue/GoTo Next settings, you get something of an advanced translate to fuzzy (in Trados jargon) where the fragment assembly hits will be inserted if no 100% TM match is found. The QA process will of course indicate if any terms/auto-translatables are missing from the target segments.

/Johan

DZiW
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
auto-brain Feb 17, 2012

Am I mistaken or in this case marking a certain passage as 'untranslatable' would do?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which CAT has most versatile auto-propagate?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search