Creating TMs from word files
Thread poster: coolrunnings
coolrunnings
coolrunnings
Local time: 22:58
Apr 21, 2012

Hi all
I have been investigating the different tools available to translators but can't seem to find a solution for my specific problem. I have 1,600 documents in two languages- Portuguese and English. They are translations, so I really have 800 documents in Portuguese and those same 800 documents translated into English.

I want to be able to put both documents in a "memory" so I can check if I have translated them before.

As far as I can gather I need to make T
... See more
Hi all
I have been investigating the different tools available to translators but can't seem to find a solution for my specific problem. I have 1,600 documents in two languages- Portuguese and English. They are translations, so I really have 800 documents in Portuguese and those same 800 documents translated into English.

I want to be able to put both documents in a "memory" so I can check if I have translated them before.

As far as I can gather I need to make TMs out of the documents, which can be created from excel sheets. What should I do to create the "TM", copy each line from the original Portuguese document and the English translation into an excel sheet? Is there a program that will do this for me? I can't see it as a feasible option for 800 documents.

Thanks for any pointers really appreciated!
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:58
English to Hungarian
+ ...
aligner Apr 21, 2012

What you need is an aligner. Do a search on proz and you'll find many options. LF Aligner has a batch mode, so if all your files are the same type (say, .doc), you can align all of them in one go.

BTW you don't need to generate xls sheets, most aligners create TMX files.

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Two-step process Apr 21, 2012

1) Use a utility like Join / Split (not free, but cheap enough, and there may well be other freeware ones around) to concatenate your 800 EN + 800 PT files into one of each.

2) Use the PlusTools 'align' tool (part of the Wordfast bundle, but works perfectly well as a stand-alone) to perform what we call 'alignment' — it will produce a 2 column document of (hopefully!) matching source and target segments; you will almost certainly need to do a bit of manual 'tweaking' in places to
... See more
1) Use a utility like Join / Split (not free, but cheap enough, and there may well be other freeware ones around) to concatenate your 800 EN + 800 PT files into one of each.

2) Use the PlusTools 'align' tool (part of the Wordfast bundle, but works perfectly well as a stand-alone) to perform what we call 'alignment' — it will produce a 2 column document of (hopefully!) matching source and target segments; you will almost certainly need to do a bit of manual 'tweaking' in places to keep the correct segments aligned, but this is just a matter of manipulating cells in a Word table, and is a lot less tedious than doing the whole thing manually!

You can then convert the result into a TM, and Bob's your uncle!

Of course, there are plenty of other alignment tools available, but I only have personal experience of PlusTools, which I have found most satisfactory.

Perhaps now you have that keyword 'align', you will be able to do further research in these forums and find more help.

[Edited at 2012-04-21 16:40 GMT]
Collapse

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Terminotix products Apr 21, 2012

For aligning large numbers of files, I use the alignment tool in Terminotix's LogiTerm Pro, which is very precise, can handle up to 25 files at a time and produces a TMX file that can be imported straight into a TM. Terminotix markets various alignment-only programs, including AlignFactory Light, which is aimed at freelancers and may or may not be within reach of your budget (it costs 420 dollars Canadian).

You can watch a demonstra
... See more
For aligning large numbers of files, I use the alignment tool in Terminotix's LogiTerm Pro, which is very precise, can handle up to 25 files at a time and produces a TMX file that can be imported straight into a TM. Terminotix markets various alignment-only programs, including AlignFactory Light, which is aimed at freelancers and may or may not be within reach of your budget (it costs 420 dollars Canadian).

You can watch a demonstration on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD9lOgBeWwg&feature=related

and try it out online for free at:

http://youalign.com/Default.aspx

[Edited at 2012-04-21 16:52 GMT]
Collapse

Kelly Gill
Kelly Gill
Italy
Member (2008)
Italian to English
LF aligner Apr 21, 2012

I started using LF aligner recently and find that it works excellent.

LF Aligner version 2.59
by András Farkas

Download the latest release from the original source: https://sourceforge.net/projects/aligner/
FarkasAndras wrote:

What you need is an aligner. Do a search on proz and you'll find many options. LF Aligner has a batch mode, so if all your files are the same type (say, .doc), you can align all of them in one go.

BTW you don't need to generate xls sheets, most aligners create TMX files.

coolrunnings
coolrunnings
Local time: 22:58
TOPIC STARTER
LF aligner Apr 22, 2012

Thanks for all the replies really great information. I am just downloading LFAligner and will test some other aligners. I am going to do some test files converting them to TMX format. Then I imagine I just upload the TMX files to something like wordfast or trados.

I can then move onto step 2, coping the text of new documents as they come in, and paste that text into the workspace of the selected program (wordfast for the sake of argument) to check if I have translated them before.
... See more
Thanks for all the replies really great information. I am just downloading LFAligner and will test some other aligners. I am going to do some test files converting them to TMX format. Then I imagine I just upload the TMX files to something like wordfast or trados.

I can then move onto step 2, coping the text of new documents as they come in, and paste that text into the workspace of the selected program (wordfast for the sake of argument) to check if I have translated them before.

I have got an account with the wordfast freetm online site so that is the program I'll start with. What would anyone suggest as a great program to do this second step? TIA
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Creating TMs from word files

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »