https://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/230270-which_cat_tool_skips_repetitions_during_proofreading.html

Which CAT tool skips repetitions during proofreading?
Thread poster: Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:59
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Aug 5, 2012

I have a rather long document with many repeated sentences which I currently am processing with Wordfast Classic.

When proofreading, I find it very annoying that I stupidly check over and over the same sentences without being aware immediately that I have already checked them before as - like I said - the document is very long, and I wondered whether there is a CAT that could save me a lot of time and effort just skipping those segments that have already been proofread and committed
... See more
I have a rather long document with many repeated sentences which I currently am processing with Wordfast Classic.

When proofreading, I find it very annoying that I stupidly check over and over the same sentences without being aware immediately that I have already checked them before as - like I said - the document is very long, and I wondered whether there is a CAT that could save me a lot of time and effort just skipping those segments that have already been proofread and committed to the memory.

Thank you very much in advance.
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 14:59
English to Indonesian
+ ...
CafeTran (and probably all other CAT tools) Aug 6, 2012

What an intriguing question! I tried it in "my" CAT tool - http://cafetran4mac.blogspot.com - and failed miserably.

So I finished the little project I created especially for the experiment, and decided to open it again for review. It turned out you can skip repeated segments by choosing Edit|Jump over|Repeated segments (which makes sense, doesn't it?) and by unchecking Perfect memory mat
... See more
What an intriguing question! I tried it in "my" CAT tool - http://cafetran4mac.blogspot.com - and failed miserably.

So I finished the little project I created especially for the experiment, and decided to open it again for review. It turned out you can skip repeated segments by choosing Edit|Jump over|Repeated segments (which makes sense, doesn't it?) and by unchecking Perfect memory matches so CafeTran doesn't jump over every single segment because they are all there, of course.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2184204/Jump%20over%20repeated%20segments.png

You can use CafeTran even for reviewing projects created in other tools as long as they are in the XLIFF, TMX or TTX format. Great! Yet another useful feature other tools don't have.

And then I thought most if not all tools can do it, as long as you can jump over those repeated segments, and simply don't attach the TM in which you stored all your painstakingly translated segments...

BTW, among others, the difference between CafeTran and other paid-for CAT tools is a few hundred dollars, and CafeTran offers more features.

Cheers,

Hans

[Edited at 2012-08-06 07:43 GMT]
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:59
Finnish to French
memoQ Aug 6, 2012

Christel Zipfel wrote:

When proofreading, I find it very annoying that I stupidly check over and over the same sentences without being aware immediately that I have already checked them before as - like I said - the document is very long, and I wondered whether there is a CAT that could save me a lot of time and effort just skipping those segments that have already been proofread and committed to the memory.

memoQ will do that, and it supports the Trados/Wordfast bilingual format (as long as the document is DOC or RTF, not DOCX): create a view with advanced options, choosing Minimum frequency = 1 and unticking Keep duplicates:

You will get all segments in the documents, but repeated segments will be shown only once.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
With WFC Aug 6, 2012

Christel Zipfel wrote:
I wondered whether there is a CAT that could save me a lot of time and effort just skipping those segments that have already been proofread and committed to the memory.

1. WFC does not have a feature to extract only unique segments, I'm afraid (it has been requested a lot, but hasn't been implemented). So that option is not there.

2. If you're editing a WFC file by opening each segment, then you should get a red box around any segment that is different from the one in memory. So if you make a change to one segment (and use Alt+down, which commits it to the TM) and that same segment appears later again, WFC will show you that what is in the current segment is different from what is in the TM, and you can use Shift+Alt+Insert to replace it.

3. A workaround is to create a new TM, clean up the document (to add its segments to the TM), then remove duplicates from that TM (same source), then open the TM in MS Word and convert it to a table. In this method, repeating segments occur only once in the TM. Then edit the file, and convert it back to tabs, and save the file as a TM again, and retranslate the file.

Dominique Pivard wrote:
memoQ will do that ... create a view with advanced options, choosing Minimum frequency = 1 and unticking Keep duplicates.

Will non-displayed segments be updated with the changes, or must one select a specific setting for that to happen?

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:59
Finnish to French
Auto-propagation in memoQ Aug 6, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:
Dominique Pivard wrote:
memoQ will do that ... create a view with advanced options, choosing Minimum frequency = 1 and unticking Keep duplicates.

Will non-displayed segments be updated with the changes, or must one select a specific setting for that to happen?

No, changes made in the view won't update repeated segments. You can create another view with only repeated segments and use the auto-propagation feature to update the remaining repeated segments.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Hans re Cafetran Aug 6, 2012

Meta Arkadia wrote:
It turned out you can skip repeated segments by choosing Edit|Jump over|Repeated segments (which makes sense, doesn't it?) and by unchecking Perfect memory matches so CafeTran doesn't jump over every single segment because they are all there, of course.

Yes, but does Cafetran then update the skipped segments with the changed translation?

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Propagate Aug 6, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:
Yes, but does Cafetran then update the skipped segments with the changed translation?

Yes, it propagates them. That is, if you start reviewing with a new, empty TM. I came to the conclusion that this should work for just about any CAT tool, but maybe I'm wrong.

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Indeed! Aug 6, 2012

Meta Arkadia wrote:

What an intriguing question

I actually thought this was a common (automatic) feature in at least some other CATs!

It's so nice that CAT tools propose and even fill in repeated sentences in our translations, but when you have to proofread over and over again the same (boring) stuff, this can get very painful eventually. I have here lots of tables with rather short segments in my long text, so I really can't remember whether I already came across (and committed to the TM) the same identical sentence and this is driving me nuts and doubling the time I budgetted for this job! If there were a CAT tool that does what I am looking for, this would save me two working days...

Thank you all so far for your very interesting input!

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Disconnect your TM Aug 7, 2012

Christel Zipfel wrote:
...so I really can't remember whether I already came across (and committed to the TM) the same identical sentence and this is driving me nuts

But this is exactly the "trick" I'm tying to communicate, Christel. If you do your proofing with the TM that contains your translations attached, no wonder the CAT tool provides the old "perfect matches" that are not so perfect for segments you previously changed for this project when proofing.

But you don't need to attach the TM since all segment pairs are already in your project anyway. In CafeTran, just open your finished translation as the project it is, do not attach the TM you used when you translated the project, instead, attach an empty TM (and any other resources you'd like to use, like glossaries, dictionaries, websites, etc.). If you now go through the proofing process with Edit|Jump over|Repeated segments enabled, you will get exactly what you want: A proofed translation, a new flawless TM (which you can easily merge with other TMs later), while skipping duplicate but propagated segments.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-DASoW54tyoU/TaumYB4d-VI/AAAAAAAAAME/47Jr6YoPwXo/s1600/CT%20Review.png

Among the other benefits CafeTran offers, is spelling check when you type, with suggestions and a keyboard shortcut to go through the various suggestions. And very easy tag handling. And QA. And...

Cheers,

Hans
(and why can't I insert an image file, whereas Dominique can? https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2184204/IMG%20in%20ProZ.png )

[Edited at 2012-08-07 03:42 GMT]

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Try Studio Aug 7, 2012

Hi,

SDL Trados Studio has several statuses for proofreading, so you can have a review status and a sign-off status if you like.

So when you translate the document all segments have a translated flag (1-2), then if you use the review mode they get a reviewed flag (3-4) and finally you can have a sign-off process too and then they get this flag (5-6).
... See more
Hi,

SDL Trados Studio has several statuses for proofreading, so you can have a review status and a sign-off status if you like.

So when you translate the document all segments have a translated flag (1-2), then if you use the review mode they get a reviewed flag (3-4) and finally you can have a sign-off process too and then they get this flag (5-6).

When you work on these documents using Ctrl+Enter then all previously translated, reviewed or signed off segments are skipped so you don't have to do them again. You can also filter them out in the display if you like here:

Maybe this is helpful?

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
DVX2... Aug 7, 2012

... offers extensive filtering for repetitions and loads of other stuff you might want to skip.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which CAT tool skips repetitions during proofreading?

Translation news related to CAT tools

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »