https://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/230770-any_cat_tool_with_customisable_analysis_percentage_categories.html

Any CAT tool with customisable analysis percentage categories?
Thread poster: Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:21
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Aug 14, 2012

G'day everyone

Four CAT tools on my computer count fuzzy matches in the following categories:

WFC: 95%, 85%, 50%
OmegaT: 95%, 85%, 75%, 50%
WFP: 95%, 85%, 75%, 50%
Trados 2007: 95%, 85%, 75%, 50%
Trados 2009: 95%, 85%, 75%, 50%

These categories aren't customisable in these tools. Do you know of a CAT tool or a word counting tool that offers customisable fuzzy percentage categories? I would like to be able to count fuzzy matches of
... See more
G'day everyone

Four CAT tools on my computer count fuzzy matches in the following categories:

WFC: 95%, 85%, 50%
WFP: 95%, 85%, 75%, 50%
Trados 2007: 95%, 85%, 75%, 50%

These categories aren't customisable in these tools. Do you know of a CAT tool or a word counting tool that offers customisable fuzzy percentage categories? I would like to be able to count fuzzy matches of 90%.

I have found that fuzzy matches of less than 90% similarity don't really save me time when translating, so it makes no sense for me to allow discounts for matches below 90%. The only time that fuzzy matches of a lower percentage actually saves me time is for very long sentences with multiple phrases in them.

If I can't find a word counter (that can compare with a TM) that allows me to set "90%" as a match category, I'm going to have to tell clients to use 85%, which I would prefer not to.

I previously did not really bother with this little detail, but that was because whatever I lost on TM matches I gained with internal matches, since internal matches were never counted by clients. Nowadays internal matches are also counted, so I no longer gain on that front what I lost on the other front, and it makes sense to become more particular about which fuzzy match percentages are taken into account for weighted word counts.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Samuel
Collapse

Hermann Bruns
Hermann Bruns  Identity Verified
English to German
Try MetaTexis for Word Aug 14, 2012

Hello Samual,

yes, there is a CAT tool that allows you to define the percentage breakdown ranges: MetaTexis for Word.

You can download a trial version via this link: http://www.metatexis.com/download.php

Run an analysis or a document statistics. In the Options tab of the Statistics results you can define the breakdown ranges according to your needs.

... See more
Hello Samual,

yes, there is a CAT tool that allows you to define the percentage breakdown ranges: MetaTexis for Word.

You can download a trial version via this link: http://www.metatexis.com/download.php

Run an analysis or a document statistics. In the Options tab of the Statistics results you can define the breakdown ranges according to your needs.

Best regards
Hermann
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Studio 2009/2011 are customisable Aug 14, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:

Those percentages come by default. They are customisable by going to Tools>options>language pairs>batch processing>fuzzy bands.
Or, on at a case-by-case level, you can adjust these values when you're preparing a project, or simply running a separate batch task.

HTH,
Emma

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:21
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Hack it! Aug 14, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:

These categories aren't customisable in these tools.

I bet, you can hack OmegaT’s code to re-define the similarity thresholds for analysis.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados 2007 Aug 14, 2012

Emma Goldsmith wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:

They are customisable by going to Tools, Options, Language pairs, Batch processing, Fuzzy bands.

I can't find a similar thing for Trados 2007, but I just spotted something in Trados 2007 that might be useful: in the Analysis dialog, after having done an analysis, one can export a TM containing only segments with a match lower than X. So I think I could set that to "90%" and export it, and then do a word count on the TM, which would be the word count of the 0-89% matches. Can anyone confirm this, please?

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Esperantist Aug 14, 2012

esperantisto wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
These categories aren't customisable in these tools.

I bet you can hack OmegaT’s code to re-define the similarity thresholds for analysis.

Preliminary investigation shows that the most likely file to be edited would be:
org/omegat/core/statistics/CalcMatchStatistics.class
...but I'm no good at compiling software.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:21
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Big deal! Aug 14, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:
...but I'm no good at compiling software.

Neither am I. However, it’s piece of cake actually: get and install NetBeans (other IDEs such as Eclipse would be fine as well, I guess, but I have no experience), load the source project, hit Shift+F11 to clean up and compile the project (simple compile produced some errors in my experience). Et voila!

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Transit can ... Aug 15, 2012

Do you know of a CAT tool or a word counting tool that offers customisable fuzzy percentage categories?

Transit can do that:

Dies soll natürlich keine Werbung für Transit sein.

[Bearbeitet am 2012-08-15 07:44 GMT]

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
another counter-strike angle Aug 17, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:
...I previously did not really bother with this little detail, but that was because whatever I lost on TM matches I gained with internal matches, since internal matches were never counted by clients. Nowadays internal matches are also counted, so I no longer gain on that front what I lost on the other front, and it makes sense to become more particular about which fuzzy match percentages are

Technology and CAT tool makers alone cut translators' income.

On the kind of texts I do, counting internal matches (or ticking Homogeneity in MemoQ) consistently decreases the wordcount (therefore my income) by 10-30% compared to Trados 2007.

Since internal match-counting has become widespread in most tools, I raised my base rate and shortened my fuzzy match bracket from 99-75 to 99-85, while increasing its rate from 2/3 of my full rate to 3/4. Overall it seems to offset the loss generated by these internal matches.

However, with agencies having a non-negociable discount scheme, I just state a higher rate.

I confirm that Trados 2009 allows you to set custom fuzzy brackets. Trados 2007 doesn't have this feature.

Philippe

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any CAT tool with customisable analysis percentage categories?

Translation news related to CAT tools

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »