https://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/234583-which_cat_tools_have_blacklist_glossaries.html

Which CAT tools have blacklist glossaries?
Thread poster: Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 04:42
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Oct 9, 2012

G'day everyone

Wordfast Classic (WFC) has a feature called a "blacklist". It is basically a list of target-language words that should never be used in the translation. Whenever the translator uses such a word, the WFC alerts the user. The WFC blacklist has two fields, namely a field for the blacklisted word and a field for an explanation. This is useful to me because the alert will tell me why a word is blacklisted, and what the more appropriate word is.

I haven't s
... See more
G'day everyone

Wordfast Classic (WFC) has a feature called a "blacklist". It is basically a list of target-language words that should never be used in the translation. Whenever the translator uses such a word, the WFC alerts the user. The WFC blacklist has two fields, namely a field for the blacklisted word and a field for an explanation. This is useful to me because the alert will tell me why a word is blacklisted, and what the more appropriate word is.

I haven't seen such a feature in many other CAT tools. In two projects where I've been somehow involved in developing the CAT tool, the attitude was that such a feature can't possibly be useful to translators.

The feature is not very well developed in WFC either -- for example, I can't add a word to the blacklist from within WFC, but instead I have to edit the blacklist file manually each time I want to add to it.

Do any other CAT tools have such a feature or something similar?

Samuel
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:42
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
'forbidden terms' in memoQ Oct 9, 2012

Hi Samuel,

memoQ has 'forbidden terms'
'• Forbidden term: You can make a term 'forbidden'. A forbidden term indicates how a term should not be translated. It makes sense to add target-language terms to an entry and make them forbidden. If a source term is set to forbidden, it will not appear on the Translation results pane. If a target term is set to forbidden, it will appear on the Translation results pane in black. The use of forbidden terms can automatica... See more
Hi Samuel,

memoQ has 'forbidden terms'
'• Forbidden term: You can make a term 'forbidden'. A forbidden term indicates how a term should not be translated. It makes sense to add target-language terms to an entry and make them forbidden. If a source term is set to forbidden, it will not appear on the Translation results pane. If a target term is set to forbidden, it will appear on the Translation results pane in black. The use of forbidden terms can automatically be checked for.'
http://kilgray.com/memoq/60/help-en/index.html?translation_grid.html

Michael
Collapse

Hermann Bruns
Hermann Bruns  Identity Verified
English to German
MetaTexis has a watch list Oct 9, 2012

Hello Samuel,

MetaTexis for Word (www.metatexis.com) has watch list feature. You can define watch lists for source, target, and combined. For more information, see the MetaTexis manual.

Best regards
Hermann

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Studio... Oct 9, 2012

... also has this capability. The terminology verifier allows you to use your termbase and report on the use of forbidden terms amongst other things as you work.

Regards

Paul

Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Transit NXT Oct 10, 2012

Transit NXT has the disallowed term feature

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
"Workaround" in OmegaT Oct 10, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:

I haven't seen such a feature in many other CAT tools. In two projects where I've been somehow involved in developing the CAT tool, the attitude was that such a feature can't possibly be useful to translators.

The feature is not very well developed in WFC either -- for example, I can't add a word to the blacklist from within WFC, but instead I have to edit the blacklist file manually each time I want to add to it.

Do any other CAT tools have such a feature or something similar?

In OmegaT, you can enter a regular expression of forbidden phrases. So, if your list is relatively short and simple, you could use that.

The alert works both in real time (the phrase is displayed in red) and when using tag validation.

Didier

trhanslator (X)
trhanslator (X)
New blacklist with forbidden terms that are not allowed? Mar 13, 2013

Any new developments in this area?

Does Déjà Vu have a feature for this?

Thanks,

Hans

Sarah McDowell
Sarah McDowell  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:42
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
Yes Mar 13, 2013

trhanslator wrote:

Any new developments in this area?

Does Déjà Vu have a feature for this?

Thanks,

Hans

Yes, Déjà Vu has such a feature. I haven't used it yet but I saw it as part of the program.

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 05:42
English to Turkish
+ ...
No Mar 13, 2013

Lexicon in Déjà Vu X / X2 is not a "blacklist". On the contrary it is a list of preferred terms. That said one can use an SQL filter to check if forbidden/blacklist terms are used or not.

I wonder how other CAT tools deal with agglutinative target languages.

Selcuk

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
blacklists Mar 13, 2013

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Not well. In one project I participate in, I'm required to use the termbase in SDLX as part of the QA verification. I.e. if the translation doesn't contain the target language term contained in the termbase, the segment gets listed in the report. This is stricter than a blacklist approach, of course, and naturally there are many false positives. Simple suffixes don't trigger an alert but suffixes that change the stem do.

Sarah McDowell
Sarah McDowell  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:42
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
Sorry about the misunderstanding Mar 14, 2013

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Lexicon in Déjà Vu X / X2 is not a "blacklist". On the contrary it is a list of preferred terms. That said one can use an SQL filter to check if forbidden/blacklist terms are used or not.

Selcuk

Hello Selcuk,

Sorry about the misunderstanding. I have more than one CAT tool and I just got them confused when I was thinking about the blacklist feature.

It is Fluency 2013 that has a blacklist. I remember seeing it but haven't used it yet. They did not have this feature in Fluency 2011 so this caught my eye as something that will be interesting to use.

Hope this helps!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which CAT tools have blacklist glossaries?

Translation news related to CAT tools

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »