Do I need to have Trados (CAT) as a freelance translator?
Thread poster: Jofer D

Jofer D
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:57
English to Chinese
+ ...
Aug 19, 2013

Hello,

I have been done many translation work including website localization, but I have never used a CAT tool.
The main reason is that what I did is usually transcreation and SEO.
I have been looking into CAT tools for a while, but I am not sure if it is really necessary, especially the cost is too high for a freelancer like me.

However, I have found that there are many jobs require CAT experiences.

Does anyone be able to share your experiences in this field?

Thanks

JD

Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
CafeTran Aug 19, 2013

Hi JD,

You might want to have a look at CafeTran (http://cafetran.com/ ), which costs only €80. I have used most of the CAT tools around (still own a licence for the latest version of memoQ) but finally ended up choosing a relatively unknown CAT tool called ‘CafeTran’ because of its active user community (https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!forum/cafetranslators + http://cafetran.wikidot.com/) and the fact that its developer actually listens to his userbase.

CafeTran_GUI_Win.png

Michael

[Edited at 2013-08-19 20:46 GMT]

Jofer D
United Kingdom
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
CAT Aug 19, 2013

Hiya Mike

Thank you for your sharing, I will have a look.

JD

philgoddard
United States
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
Hi Jofer Aug 19, 2013

If you're mainly doing transcreation (which is what I do), TM isn't going to help you much. The only problem is that so many agencies insist on it, but there are still a substantial minority of us who manage fine without it.

Jofer D
United Kingdom
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I did think so Aug 19, 2013

Hi Phil

I did think so but the problem is loads agencies think this is mandatory.
I think that it will waste my money to purchase one if i only do transcreation but I would like to get to know more.

Thanks,

Heather McCrae  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:57
German to English
TMs are good Aug 19, 2013

but only when you have absolutely loads of translation pairs in them, then they are excellent as a resource. But to start off with very little is difficult.
I've built up my primary TM over the past 8 years and it comes in very useful in my field of technical translations, but I can image it is not of great use for creative translating.
You can download stacks of TM's these days, but you never know what the quality of the translations is like.
Best to try a cheaper/free version at first.

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:57
Member (2008)
French to English
Free CAT tools Aug 19, 2013

There are free CAT tools such as Wordfast Anywhere and OmegaT which are quite serviceable.

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Depends Aug 19, 2013

Not having a CAT makes things difficult, but it's still possible to load up on jobs without one.

Jofer D
United Kingdom
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all Aug 20, 2013

Thanks for sharing.
I am just thinking to become a full time translator, so those ideas are really useful. x

Annie Sapucaia  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
I use Memo Q.. Aug 25, 2013

but I've had agencies ask me for Trados. I'm a beginner too, so I wonder if it's worth getting Trados if I already have MemoQ? They seem really similar to me, but apparently agencies prefer Trados. Not sure why as in my opinion it's less pleasing.

[Edited at 2013-08-25 14:03 GMT]

Annie Sapucaia  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
I use Memo Q.. Aug 25, 2013

but I've had agencies ask me for Trados. I'm a beginner too, so I wonder if it's worth getting Trados if I already have MemoQ? They seem really similar to me, but apparently agencies prefer MemoQ? Not sure why...

wilhelm_zwo (X)
Netherlands
German to Dutch
Interesting question Aug 25, 2013

Annie Sapucaia wrote:

but I've had agencies ask me for Trados. I'm a beginner too, so I wonder if it's worth getting Trados if I already have MemoQ? They seem really similar to me, but apparently agencies prefer MemoQ? Not sure why...

Yes, that indeed is an interesting question!

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:57
German to English
+ ...
Maybe not Aug 25, 2013

Annie Sapucaia wrote:

Maybe someone more knowledgable can post about the compatibility issues with MemoQ and Trados. I use Wordfast primarily, and a couple of my Trados clients simply import my bilingual Word docs into an older version of Trados. We have not had problems. That said, I did invest in Trados Studio, and it is useful when those jobs come up (or jobs where complex formatting needs to be preserved).

It's worth investigating before you make the investment!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do I need to have Trados (CAT) as a freelance translator?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search