Entering several columns in TM or glossary that can be used for concordance search
Thread poster: Anna Sarah Krämer Fazendeiro

Anna Sarah Krämer Fazendeiro
Germany
Local time: 08:24
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
Nov 13, 2013

Dear colleagues,

I have a client who sends regular feedback for the translations I deliver on a spreadsheet. In this feedback appear several columns, for the specific product I was working on, the source text, my translation, the reviewer's version, date and error category, among other informations. I started accumulating these informations in a huge spreadsheet for occasional lookup, but searching inside Excel is a cumbersome job.

I would like to streamline the lookup process and find a tool that allows me to enter the information and conduct searches in more than two columns. As far as I know, most TM viewers and TMs in general work only with two languages, e.g. two columns, while most glossaries can display added information but don't allow me to conduct a concordance search for single terms. Or am I mistaken? What kind of tool could I use to look up for any term inside of my data?

Many thanks for your ideas.

Best regards,
Anna


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxnrichy
France
Local time: 08:24
French to Dutch
+ ...
Maybe you need a desktop search program Nov 13, 2013

Such as Copernic Desktop Search. It searches on your whole computer. The home version will do. I use it for years.

Direct link Reply with quote
 
FarkasAndras
Local time: 08:24
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Multilingual TB Nov 13, 2013

Anna Sarah Krämer Fazendeiro wrote:

Dear colleagues,

I have a client who sends regular feedback for the translations I deliver on a spreadsheet. In this feedback appear several columns, for the specific product I was working on, the source text, my translation, the reviewer's version, date and error category, among other informations. I started accumulating these informations in a huge spreadsheet for occasional lookup, but searching inside Excel is a cumbersome job.

I would like to streamline the lookup process and find a tool that allows me to enter the information and conduct searches in more than two columns. As far as I know, most TM viewers and TMs in general work only with two languages, e.g. two columns, while most glossaries can display added information but don't allow me to conduct a concordance search for single terms. Or am I mistaken? What kind of tool could I use to look up for any term inside of my data?

Many thanks for your ideas.

Best regards,
Anna

You don't mention what tool you use. If it's trados, you could possibly just create a multilingual MultiTerm TB. Label the extra column as Lithuanian or whatever you feel like and then you can search it in the desktop Multiterm program. But not in Trados itself... I think you'll find that none of the options you can come up with is much better than Excel.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Anna Sarah Krämer Fazendeiro
Germany
Local time: 08:24
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Multiterm worth a try Nov 14, 2013

FarkasAndras wrote:


You don't mention what tool you use. If it's trados, you could possibly just create a multilingual MultiTerm TB. Label the extra column as Lithuanian or whatever you feel like and then you can search it in the desktop Multiterm program. But not in Trados itself... I think you'll find that none of the options you can come up with is much better than Excel.


I have SDL Trados, I might try. But is it possible to conduct searches for single words or parts of phrases inside of larger entries in a TB? Working with Multiterm is fine. I don't need to search within Trados itself, as in this case I am working in an online system anyway.

Best regards,
Anna


Direct link Reply with quote
 
FarkasAndras
Local time: 08:24
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Sure Nov 14, 2013

Anna Sarah Krämer Fazendeiro wrote:

FarkasAndras wrote:


You don't mention what tool you use. If it's trados, you could possibly just create a multilingual MultiTerm TB. Label the extra column as Lithuanian or whatever you feel like and then you can search it in the desktop Multiterm program. But not in Trados itself... I think you'll find that none of the options you can come up with is much better than Excel.


I have SDL Trados, I might try. But is it possible to conduct searches for single words or parts of phrases inside of larger entries in a TB? Working with Multiterm is fine. I don't need to search within Trados itself, as in this case I am working in an online system anyway.

Best regards,
Anna

MultiTerm has fuzzy search. You get hits if your search string matches or nearly matches any part of a term in the termbase.


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Entering several columns in TM or glossary that can be used for concordance search

Advanced search







memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search