Any free/cheap TMX2XLIFF tools out there?
Thread poster: Samuel Murray

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:18
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Dec 13, 2013

Hello everyone

I have a TMX file with two languages, in which the source text and target text is the same. I want to have this converted to XLIFF (and back) so that the text in the target language can be translated... so that we end up with a TMX file that contains the translation with no tag loss.

Does anyone know of a free or cheap tool that can do this?

Thanks
Samuel

PS. Yes, it really is a TMX file, not a TTX file or a TXML file or an XLS file or a TXT file.

Direct link Reply with quote

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:18
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Okapi Rainbow or Tikal? Dec 13, 2013

Hi Samuel,

I'm sure that one of the various tools in the Okapi Framework will do it.

-> http://okapi.opentag.com/

Michael

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Michael: how? Dec 13, 2013

Michael Beijer wrote:
I'm sure that one of the various tools in the Okapi Framework will do it.

I was sure as well, until I tried it. Perhaps you can tell me what the correct steps are (or point me to a video that shows it).

Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:18
English to Spanish
Stingray Dec 13, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:
I have a TMX file with two languages, in which the source text and target text is the same. I want to have this converted to XLIFF (and back) so that the text in the target language can be translated... so that we end up with a TMX file that contains the translation with no tag loss.

Stingray can convert TMX files to XLIFF.

Translate the XLIFF file and then use the same CAT tool to export the translated XLIFF as TMX.

Regards,
Rodolfo

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Rodolfo Dec 13, 2013

Rodolfo Raya wrote:
Stingray can convert TMX files to XLIFF.

Thanks. However, I have misjudged the extend to which tag-looking text within the segments would be converted to simple tags in the XLIFF file. Due to ProZ.com's primitive forum system I'm forced to paste it as an image.

Translate the XLIFF file and then use the same CAT tool to export the translated XLIFF as TMX.

Did you mean Stingray can convert it back, or did you mean the CAT tool that I translate the XLIFF file in should create the TMX file?

Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:18
English to Spanish
Ugly TMX Dec 14, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:

Thanks. However, I have misjudged the extend to which tag-looking text within the segments would be converted to simple tags in the XLIFF file. Due to ProZ.com's primitive forum system I'm forced to paste it as an image.

Your TMX file contains HTML markup stored as translatable text. You should get that markup as translatable in the XLIFF file. This may not be what you wanted but it is what you should get from that TMX file.

Did you mean Stingray can convert it back, or did you mean the CAT tool that I translate the XLIFF file in should create the TMX file?

The tool you use to translate the XLIFF file should export the translation as TMX. The final TMX should have tags that are compatible with the original TMX.

Regards,
Rodolfo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any free/cheap TMX2XLIFF tools out there?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search