How to translate the labels (images) in embedded graphic images in a word (docx) file?
Thread poster: Graeme Waller

Graeme Waller  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 01:08
Finnish to English
+ ...
Sep 10, 2014

A client has sent me a .docx file consisting of embedded graphic images (histograms) with the labels.

From the instructions I understand that they want a target .docx file consisting of embedded graphic images (histograms) with the labels translated.

I have been able to extract the labels (images) by converting the.docx file to PDF and then using OCR.

I realise that this could be done easily with a good PDF converter program such as Abby FineReader, and I have done this in the past when I have had a valid trial version.

However, I am not in a position to purchase said software and I am reluctant to spend hours searching for other trial software that will work without limitations [I do have some painful experience of this ].

I would also imagine that one may be able to do this with Trados, but I only have access to Wordfast (Classic & Pro) and OmegaT.

Can anyone suggest a workaround?

Thanks,

Graeme

Direct link Reply with quote

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:08
Member (2008)
French to English
Embedded objects Sep 10, 2014

A CAT tool such as memoQ will translate embedded objects. Use "Import with options...". You can use a free trial version - the full version is good for 45 days (if I remember right) free of charge and then becomes a limited version unless you buy it.

Another possibility is to extract the embedded text manually, but I haven't yet been able to get the final step to work. To try this, rename the .docx extension to .zip, then extract with a decompressing tool such as 7-Zip. Inside the resulting folders you will find a folder called Embedded, or something like that. The embedded objects are in this folder and can be edited. The result can then be zipped up again and renamed back to a .docx file.

That said, any time I have tried this it has failed to reopen as a .docx, with the warning "Corrupted content". I know this process has worked for others, so I am doing something wrong at the last step. I suspect it has something to do with the character set, but since I have memoQ which will do it automatically I haven't pursued it to find out what's wrong.

[Edited at 2014-09-10 11:28 GMT]

Graeme Waller  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 01:08
Finnish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 10, 2014

John Fossey wrote:

A CAT tool such as memoQ will translate embedded objects. Use "Import with options...". You can use a free trial version - the full version is good for 45 days (if I remember right) free of charge and then becomes a limited version unless you buy it.

Another possibility is to extract the embedded text manually, but I haven't yet been able to get the final step to work. To try this, rename the .docx extension to .zip, then extract with a decompressing tool such as 7-Zip. Inside the resulting folders you will find a folder called Embedded, or something like that. The embedded objects are in this folder and can be edited. The result can then be zipped up again and renamed back to a .docx file.

That said, any time I have tried this it has failed to reopen as a .docx, with the warning "Corrupted content". I know this process has worked for others, so I am doing something wrong at the last step. I suspect it has something to do with the character set, but since I have memoQ which will do it automatically I haven't pursued it to find out what's wrong.

[Edited at 2014-09-10 11:28 GMT]

Thanks John,

In the end they assigned the task to someone else, but now I know what to try next time something like this comes up.

[Edited at 2014-09-10 11:51 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-09-10 11:52 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to translate the labels (images) in embedded graphic images in a word (docx) file?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search