Thread poster: William Pairman
William Pairman
William Pairman  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:13
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Dec 26, 2004

I know very little about these beyond there names, but have a +/- 800E grant to invest in software, soooooo...

How do they compare, VFM, ease of learning and use etc

I've worked on Deja Vu texts, what advantage is there in having it?

A client wants me to get SDLX for 195E (a discount price), is it worth it? I note on their webpage they say its Trados compatible, does that mean you can seek "Trados only" work?

Sorry for all the Qs, I'll do an ex
... See more
I know very little about these beyond there names, but have a +/- 800E grant to invest in software, soooooo...

A client wants me to get SDLX for 195E (a discount price), is it worth it? I note on their webpage they say its Trados compatible, does that mean you can seek "Trados only" work?

Sorry for all the Qs, I'll do an extra long stint on KudoZ)
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Moving the topic ... Dec 26, 2004

...to the CAT Tools Technical Help forum.

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
SDLX Dec 26, 2004

William Pairman wrote:

SDLX is wonderful, and at that price, it's a real bargain.

Is it entirely compatible with Trados? Yes and no. For the formats that are handled by TagEditor, there's no problem, you can hand in .ttx files as well as the translated html, xml, etc.

For Word docs, it's another matter. If your client wants uncleaned files, you cannot provide them with SDLX only.

What I do in such cases is export my SDLX TM to Trados and "retranslate" the Word docs with everything already in the memory. Since I specialize in high-quality work (at corresponding rates), this is an occasion for me to double-check and proofread my translation.

I'd like to point out that I save an enormous amount of time working with SDLX instead of Trados, so I don't mind the extra run through Workbench once the translation is done.

Another way around the uncleaned file issue is to prepare a TM from exactly just the files in the project, export to a TMX or txt format and send that to the client.

Best,
Esther, holder of licences for SDLX Professional, Trados 6.5.5, Fusion and Wordfast

[Edited at 2004-12-26 19:39]

Hirschmann (X)
Hirschmann (X)  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Pre-segmenting Word files with TRADOS Translator's Workbench ... Dec 26, 2004

... is a better solution if uncleaned Word files are required.

SDLX can be used to translate pre-segmented Word files that can then be stored as uncleaned Word files. The latter can be cleaned with TRADOS Translator's Workbench if necessary.

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
How do you do that? Dec 27, 2004

Hirschmann wrote:
Pre-segmenting Word files with TRADOS Translator's Workbench ...
... is a better solution if uncleaned Word files are required.

SDLX can be used to translate pre-segmented Word files that can then be stored as uncleaned Word files.

I don't understand what you're saying but it sounds interesting. What do you do exactly?

Best,
Esther

OK, I got it: With Workbench, you open each segment in turn, copy the source, go to next, up to the end. You save in rtf, import into SDLX, translate and create the translation. The result is a Trados-tagged uncleaned file. It works!

Thank you for the tip!

Best,
Esther

[Edited at 2004-12-27 06:33]

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Have a go at SDLX Professional Dec 27, 2004

William Pairman wrote:

Sorry for all the Qs, I'll do an extra long stint on KudoZ)

If you have a grant of 800 euros, you might want to find out whether there is a discount for SDLX Professional as well. With the Professional version you will have the very handy additional functionalities of Analyse (useful for analyzing several files against your TMs and making a quote to your client/s/) and Apply - you will be able to apply your TMs to all files in one project in one go.

HTH

Piotr

Hirschmann (X)
English to German
+ ...
It's much easier ... Dec 27, 2004

Esther Pfeffer wrote:

OK, I got it: With Workbench, you open each segment in turn, copy the source, go to next, up to the end. You save in rtf, import into SDLX, translate and create the translation. The result is a Trados-tagged uncleaned file. It works!

... than that:

1) Launch TRADOS Translator's Workbench.

2) Select menu option Tools > Translate...

3) In the dialog box now opened, mark check box "Segment unknown sentences".

4) Click on button "Add...".

5) Select the Word file (in this example: "xxx.doc") to be translated.

6) Click on button "Translate".

6) Now, you'll get a segmented Word file with file name extension .BAK, i.e., "xxx.BAK".

7) Rename the original source file "xxx.doc" to something like "orig-xxx.doc".

8) Rename the segmented Word file "xxx.BAK" to the original name of the source file, i.e., "xxx.doc".

8) Right-click on the file (i.e., "xxx.doc") as per item 8.

9) Translate this file with SDLX as usual.

10) In SDLX, do a "Create translation".

11) Voilà, here you have a bilingual segmented Word file as if you had translated the original source file with the Word/TRADOS Translator's Workbench combo, however, having made use of all the advantages of SDLX over TRADOS.

In my opinion, the main advantages of SDLX over TRADOS in this case are:

a) You'll not lose segments as may happen every once in a while. (In fact, I switched to SDLX because one of my clients complained about a missing segment in a recent translation.)

b) By not using the Word/TRADOS Translator's Workbench combo to segment the source file, you will not have the frequent problem with damaged markers in the segmented Word file that lead to miserably cleaned Word files.

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Not exactly... Dec 27, 2004

Hirschmann wrote:

6) Now, you'll get a segmented Word file with file name extension .BAK, i.e., "xxx.BAK".

7) Rename the original source file "xxx.doc" to something like "orig-xxx.doc".

It's the other way round: The original file will have the BAK extension and the pretranslated (segmented) file will have the DOC extension.

But this is quite off-topic and I'm not sure if William is interested in this stuff.

I started with Trados and later I bought SDLX Standard for a discount price. I use both, each for a different type of jobs.

If your client wants you to use SDLX and you expect enough work from them, I think you should buy it, especially for such a low price. It will be a very good start. Later you will see if you are able to process Trados files with SDLX. If not, you can buy Trados too. As for Deja Vu, some people claim it's "the best" CAT tool. You should try the trial version. Actually, you can try the trial versions of all the CAT tools.

As for the learning curve, a complete beginner (and especially a non-technical user) should get a training lesson.

Hirschmann (X)
English to German
+ ...
Hynek Palatin is right Dec 27, 2004

Hynek Palatin wrote:

It's the other way round: The original file will have the BAK extension and the pretranslated (segmented) file will have the DOC extension.

I wrote this description from memory and mixed up the file name extensions.

My reply was exclusively meant for Esther Pfeffer to show her a much easier method than manually copying and pasting source segments.

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
Wonderful! Dec 27, 2004

Hirschmann wrote:

1) Launch TRADOS Translator's Workbench.

2) Select menu option Tools > Translate...

3) In the dialog box now opened, mark check box "Segment unknown sentences".

4) Click on button "Add...".

5) Select the Word file (in this example: "xxx.doc") to be translated.

uote]

Thank you so much! You can also select a whole batch of files instead of one and import that folder into SDLX. Wow! this will change my lifestyle, I think.

Best,
Esther

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Complete beginner to CAT seeks help

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »