Is it possible to translate mxliff (Memsource) format in Studio 2014?
Thread poster: Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:37
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Jan 8, 2015

I have tried changing the extension from .mxliff to .xliff. Studio opens it, but it gives me a validation error...

Maybe SDL could develop some kind of file type for mxliff?

BTW, the xliff files open no problem in MemoQ...

Any ideas? Thanks!

[Edited at 2015-01-08 13:20 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 18:37
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
I had a similar dilemma Jan 8, 2015

and I gave up and now I am translating a big mxliff file in Memsource Editor.

You can't handle an mxliff file well in Studio, especially if some segments are already pretranslated (they will not be imported).

If it works for you in MemoQ, use MemoQ.

I had to go back to Memsource, because I had to use the online TM.

There is a plugin for Studio that will allow you to use the Memsource server as a TM provider, but it works only with some Memsource licenses.

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
tried... Jan 8, 2015

the file is so big that both the offline editor and the online editor are really slow... impossible to use... MemoQ handles it very well, and imports the pretranslated segments, but not the segments statuses...

you don't find the online editor slow?

Also, the fact you can't program the key combination is very frustrating...

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Does the validation error prevent you translating? Jan 8, 2015

What is the message exactly? It might just be that it's an information message and doesn't cause a problem at all.

You may also find that adding the *.mxliff wildcard expression to the XLIFF filetype (not the SDLXLIFF filetype) will be easier as you then won't have to edit every file. Studio will just open the *.mxliff files using the standard XLIFF filetype.

Regards

Paul

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
I attach a pic... Jan 8, 2015

and thanks for the tip...

SDL Support wrote:

What is the message exactly? It might just be that it's an information message and doesn't cause a problem at all.

You may also find that adding the *.mxliff wildcard expression to the XLIFF filetype (not the SDLXLIFF filetype) will be easier as you then won't have to edit every file. Studio will just open the *.mxliff files using the standard XLIFF filetype.

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2015-01-08 16:28 GMT]

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
ok... Jan 25, 2015

SDL Support wrote:

Regards

Paul

tried that... no error message, but when I save to target, I can't then open the file in Memsource editor... it says format not supported... or something like that... no problem in MemoQ...

[Edited at 2015-01-25 13:49 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
You problem here... Jan 25, 2015

... is most likely that we have an additional option for XLIFF most tools do not and unfortunately it's the default. In the filetype options go to Settings and check "Do not store segmentation information in the translated file". My guess is memsource has no idea how to handle this information and doesn't like it.

Regards

Paul

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
thanks, Paul... Jan 25, 2015

SDL Support wrote:

My guess is memsource has no idea how to handle this information and doesn't like it.

Regards

Paul

Probably...

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: empty post

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to translate mxliff (Memsource) format in Studio 2014?

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search