https://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/286898-does_anyone_know_of_a_smart_tab2tmx_converter.html

Does anyone know of a smart TAB2TMX converter?
Thread poster: Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:28
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Jun 11, 2015

Hello everyone

Do you know of a TMX converter that converts a TM from a simple tabbed format into TMX, in such a way that inline XML-like tags are marked up correctly with BTP, EPT and PH tags? Preferably for MS Windows.

Thanks
Samuel

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Nope Jun 11, 2015

I don't know about one.
If nobody else comes up with anything and you can give me a specific recipe for the tag markup, I might add it to the tmx maker in the LF Aligner project.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Recipe Jun 11, 2015

FarkasAndras wrote:
If nobody else comes up with anything and you can give me a specific recipe for the tag markup, I might add it to the tmx maker in the LF Aligner project.

Oh, it's not urgent, Farkas. I was just thinking how odd it is that none of the TAB2TMX converters that I know of can do this. The source of the tabbed file is a bilingual review export from Trados 2011+. In it, most tags are of three types: standalone, opening, and closing, and they're numbered. For example:

<23/>The <24>quick</24> brown fox...
23 = standalone tag
24 = pair with opening and closing tag

I'm no expert at TMX, but I think the resulting TMX that would be useful in a CAT tool would be:
<ph i="23">&lt;23/&gt;</ph>The <bpt i="24" x="24">&lt;24&gt;</bpt>quick<ept i="24" x="24">&lt;/24&gt;</ept> brown fox...
but I'm not sure.

Also, my limited knowledge of TMX tells me that BPT and EPT can only be used if both opening and closing tags occur in the same segment (is that correct?), and I know for a fact that that would not always be the case with the tabbed file, so it would have to use some other TMX tag. For example:

segment 1 = The rain <454>in Spain
segment 2 = falls mainly</454> on the plains.

I would probably not be using such a converter myself, because I use a CAT tool that doesn't work with opening and closing tags but with standalone tags only... but a converter like this might be useful for someone having to convert text for a CAT tool that does recognise tag pairs as such.

[Edited at 2015-06-11 13:51 GMT]

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:28
Finnish to French
SDLXLIFF? Jun 11, 2015

Samuel Murray wrote:
The source of the tabbed file is a bilingual review export from Trados 2011+.

If your file originates from SDL Trados Studio, why don't you try to get the SDLXLIFF from which the bilingual review was created? Import that file into any CAT tool that supports the format (there's no shortage of them), commit all segments to the TM in that tool, export to the TM to TMX if needed and you should be done.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Dominique Jun 11, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
The source of the tabbed file is a bilingual review export from Trados 2011+.

If your file originates from SDL Trados Studio, why don't you try to get the SDLXLIFF from which the bilingual review was created? Import that file into any CAT tool...

There's the thread that prompted my search. The problem is that the bilingual review document was edited by a reviewer after it was exported, and it is that updated version of the translation that is required to be converted to TMX... not the original translation in the original SDLXLIFF file.

Tom Hoar (X)
Tom Hoar (X)
United States
Local time: 08:28
English
Two approaches Sep 24, 2015

One approach separates the left/right halves of your .tab file and save them in the original (html?). Then, use Okapi framework to convert the two html files to XLIFF.

Second approach uses our upcoming Slate Desktop. It has tools to read / write between formats, and our XLIFF writer supports reinserting inline elements (XLIFF 1.2 for now).

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:28
English to Russian
Excel + memoQ Sep 24, 2015

You can copypaste your two-column reviewed table into excel and then "import with options" it into memoQ. Select multilingual filter and change settings so that one column is for source and another one for target. Then just confirm all.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does anyone know of a smart TAB2TMX converter?

Translation news related to CAT tools

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »