Thread poster: McKee T9N

McKee T9N  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:24
Member (2014)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 6, 2015

I am using Translation Workspace Xliff Editor, and am on a laptop that has no number keypad. I have only the numbers (and symbols) on the usual line of numbers below the F1-F12.

To use the function "store, close, open next segment" you usually use the shortcut "Alt"plus"+" on the number keypad. Does anyone know how to do this without access to a number keypad?

There is not even a button for "store, close, open next segment" in the toolbar; even THAT would be better than what I've got now. As far as I can tell, the only way to access "store, close, open next segment" is through the "Translation" drop down menu! This is going to be the slowest job ever unless I can find a way to do it on a laptop keyboard.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Direct link Reply with quote

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:24
Finnish to French
Not possible Jul 6, 2015

mdomseattle wrote:
To use the function "store, close, open next segment" you usually use the shortcut "Alt"plus"+" on the number keypad. Does anyone know how to do this without access to a number keypad?

I recently made a video on the TWS XLIFF editor (which I recorded on a laptop that has no numeric keypad) and I noticed the exact same thing:

https://youtu.be/bY7LFj9K7zQ?t=1m40s

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:24
English to French
Spare full-sized keyboard? Jul 7, 2015

mdomseattle wrote:
...This is going to be the slowest job ever unless I can find a way to do it on a laptop keyboard.

What if you bought/used a real keyboard and connect it to your laptop?
If you waste so much time, such investment would be sensible.

Philippe

xxxforever_youn
United States
Korean to English
What... Oct 22, 2015

A power outage overnight left my internet disconnected for some reason.

I was forced to come to my local library with my laptop, only to find out that there are no laptop hotkeys.

I guess that's that... Packing up and going home.

McKee T9N  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2014)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SOLUTION FOUND! Oct 24, 2015

I've discovered that mapping a new function to a key can solve this problem! Using the freeware product called "Sharp Key" I assigned the function of "keypad plus sign" to the "windows"key on my keyboard, since I have no use for that anyway.

Now I can use the alt plus windows key to complete these tasks without issue, and the key remapping is simple, reversible, and easy to do. They include instructions with the freeware for Sharp Key and I did it in under 2 minutes.

Hope this helps everyone in the future!

@Philippe Etienne, I do have an external keyboard (foldable, by Goldtouch), but it also does not have a number keypad. I am a mobile, nomad translator, so I cannot bring along a huge, non-foldable keyboard with keypad. Thus the need for this work-around.

Laura Cariola
Argentina
Local time: 05:24
English to Spanish
+ ...
Change hotkeys in XLIFF Editor May 23

Hi all,

This response may come a bit too late, but XLIFF Editor offers the possibility to change the hotkeys in the client.
I had the same issue and found the way to change it when preparing a short webinar on this CAT.
Just go to Tools - Preferences - Accelerator settings... and you'll find all the hotkeys in the application.
Store, Close and Open next is under the category "Segment actions", in the bottom half of the list.

Hope this helps!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TWS Xliff editor shortcuts without number keypad

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search