Translation Workspace question
Thread poster: Ewan Macdonald

Ewan Macdonald  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:25
Member (2012)
Chinese to English
Oct 24, 2015

(Version: Translation Workspace XLIFF Editor 2.28.3)

Hi all,

Just have a couple questions about Translation Workspace.
Is it possible to save an individual term (not a whole segment) to a term bank? I can't see any option to do so, and I don't have permissions to alter the TM.
Also, is there an autosave function? This seems like such a basic thing but I can't see the option for it anywhere!
Best,
Ewan

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:25
Finnish to French
Not possible to add new term pairs as you translate Oct 24, 2015

I published a video on translating with Translation Workspace XLIFF editor a few months ago and I made the same observation: there is no way the translator can add new term pairs to the selected termbase (or any other termbase, for that matter) "on-the-fly", in the editor. The philosophy of the tool seems to be translators are only supposed to use terminology supplied to them by their client. This is a major drawback (from a translator’s perspective).

I can’t recall anything about autosave, and my free trial expired long ago. I wouldn’t surprised if there were no such feature.

"Translation Workspace is a great product", says "Freelancer, China" in the Geoworkz blurb. Well, I’d beg to differ...

Ewan Macdonald  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:25
Member (2012)
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 25, 2015

Hi Dominique,

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply and linking to the video. As a piece of software, it really seems designed to make things difficult for the translator!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation Workspace question

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search