Company Translating 600-page InDesign Document in Word: No CAT
Thread poster: Nikkormat
Nikkormat
Nikkormat
English
Mar 21, 2016

Hi there,

I have a 600-page InDesign document that I need translated.

I don't have any CAT tools. The translation company doesn't have CAT tools.

Is there something free online that I can use to translate this InDesign document pain-free? Otherwise I will have to cut and paste from Word or Excel to Indesign.

Any advice would be appreciated.

dhsanjeev
dhsanjeev  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 22:35
English to Hindi
+ ...
Indesign editor Mar 21, 2016

It would be easy that you take online subscription from Adobe foe its cloud vwraion say about a month. And so your job with ease. It will not cost you much and will provide you all faxilitiws od odfline medium. Hope it will work for you.
Regards

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:05
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Low cost Mar 21, 2016

Not free, but presumably you are being paid a reasonable fee, so a few dollars should be worthwhile. InDesign's monthly license from Adobe is only about $25.

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:05
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Invest in a CAT tool Mar 21, 2016

The workaround with Word will cost many extra hours, both to yourself and your client – and it will lead to inferior results. Is it worth? I don't think so.

Any major CAT tool will be able to handle the Indesign file and then you can offer a superior service to your client as they do not have to redo the DTP steps. This extra convenience (or lack thereof) fully justifies a different price tag. And the difference will easily pay your CAT tool.

Attila

[Edited at
... See more
The workaround with Word will cost many extra hours, both to yourself and your client – and it will lead to inferior results. Is it worth? I don't think so.

Any major CAT tool will be able to handle the Indesign file and then you can offer a superior service to your client as they do not have to redo the DTP steps. This extra convenience (or lack thereof) fully justifies a different price tag. And the difference will easily pay your CAT tool.

Attila

[Edited at 2016-03-21 16:04 GMT]
Collapse

Abdullah Hassaan
Abdullah Hassaan  Identity Verified
Egypt
Member (2013)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Is Across Freelance still for free? Mar 21, 2016

Hi Attila,

I'm not sure, if Across Freelance is still for free for individuals. If so, I think it would be sufficient for this task, although, personally I don't like Across compared to other paid CTAs.

The other option would be to use one of the CATs with subscriptions for limited time.

Personally, I use Transit NXT as the most powerful tool. Butt check with STAR whether this version includes the required InDesgin Filter or not. It the InDesign filter is
... See more
Hi Attila,

I'm not sure, if Across Freelance is still for free for individuals. If so, I think it would be sufficient for this task, although, personally I don't like Across compared to other paid CTAs.

The other option would be to use one of the CATs with subscriptions for limited time.

Personally, I use Transit NXT as the most powerful tool. Butt check with STAR whether this version includes the required InDesgin Filter or not. It the InDesign filter is not included, you can extract the text out of IDML file and process it in Transit, then reinsert the translated text in the IDML file.

For such a large number of pages, I definitely advise using Transit, to have the best feasibility and most powerful control during both translation and review.

I hope, I could help you!

Best regards
Collapse

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Get a demo version Mar 21, 2016

Get a demo version of any major CAT tool? I've done indesign files in Wordfast Pro, and wouldn't even consider doing an indesign file without a CAT, imagine the extra time it would take to do such a big project without the right tools!! Or just pass on this job? Wordfast has a generous demo system, have a look. You can get also get indesign itself for a free 30 day trial.

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
No Mar 22, 2016

Nikkormat wrote:

Is there something free online that I can use to translate this InDesign document pain-free?

Pain-free? No. (Speaking as a designer and translator.)
Every paragraph, hyphenation, text wrap, text box break, style change, text overflow etc. needs to be checked visually in Indesign.

Even so, translating in a CAT tool gives you a much better start than doing it in Word with copy-paste. For one thing, you stand a good chance of keeping style tags intact.

Don't even think about editing a 600 page Indesign document for CMYK printing unless you have plenty of Indesign practise.

[Bearbeitet am 2016-03-22 15:18 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Company Translating 600-page InDesign Document in Word: No CAT

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »