Translating Powerpoint using Trados OR Wordfast
Thread poster: xxxLia Fail
xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:12
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 4, 2005

I have searched for previous posts, but am getting results with field codes and a funny font that makes browsing near impossible.

Windows XP
Word 2000
Trados 6.5

I haven't been able to figure out how to combine Trados with PPT. Trados refers to a T-Window suite, but doesn't actaully say anything on the subject in detail.

I figure setting up Trados might be complex, so would prefer, if at all possible, to use user-friendly WordFast - can I translate PPT in WordFast?

Finally, if I see that it's too complicated, my hamfisted solution would be to convert the PPT to a Word doc that I could have open with my Trans Memory as another window. How can I extract words from PPT and copy into Word?(not page by page, as there are over 50, each with a couple of text boxes in each).

(And of course, I'm in a hurry:-)

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use TAG Editor for this job Mar 4, 2005

And you will be pleased, how easy PPT translation can be.
As you have Trados 6.5, what you need is to start Workbench, then chose the proper TM, start TAG Editor, go to File menu, chose Open, from the pull-down menu "File type" chose Powerpoint (*.ppt) and open the file.
It may take a long time, until the file is open, as TAG Editor writes the TAGs in the text.
After the file is opened translate it as usuall. ALT+POS1 opens the segment, ALT+(NUM+) closes the translated segmente and goes to the next, and so on.

After you are finished, save the billingual file as *.ttx and then save the translation in ppt file. For that go to the menu File and chose "Save target as...". Chose a name for your translation.

Then open the file in PPT and check formatting and so on.

As with any job, where you use CAT, it is very advisable to prepare the file for translation. What I mean is remove all not necessary line breaks, change indentions made with spaces or tabs to exact formating, bring connected words into one tex box if necessary and so on.

Translating PPT and Excel files with TAG Editor is very easy. Much easier than using Wordfast IMO. And the results are more than satisfactory, provided the files are not messed up by bad formatting.

Regards
Jerzy

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Tag Editor Mar 4, 2005

Hi Ailish,

With Trados 6.5, you can use Tag Editor for PPT files.

There is a pretty detailed explanation in chapter 8 of the PDF Translator's Workbench User Guide, which you can find in the T65_FL\Doc\English folder of the Trados directory on your computer.

HTH

Giles

Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
OK with Wordfast Mar 4, 2005

Wordfast handles PPT the same way as it does Excell -- you open the PPT file but don't select a slide, then open a new (blank) Word document and start WF. It will pull the text out of the PPT document segment by segment and present it in the Word document.

A few hints:

1. WF updates each slide when it comes to the end of the slide. After that, it leaves the slide alone (AFAIK), which means that any edits you do on the Word document later on DO NOT get transferred to the PPT document.

2. Don't use the 'translate until fuzzy' button (at least not in the 4.x.x version of WF). WF will exit at the end of the current slide if you do this.

3. WF sometimes skips the odd sentence (but hey, it does that in tables in Word documents too).

good luck!

[Edited at 2005-03-04 21:37]

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Translating Powerpoint using Trados OR Wordfast OR... Mar 5, 2005

Pity you're in a hurry, Alish, because OmegaT handles PPT very nicely. There's absolutely no difference in OmegaT, in terms of functionality or speed, between PPT, Word, Excel or HTML. And it's still free.

Marc

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating Powerpoint using Trados OR Wordfast

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search