Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Fluency Now vs SDL Trados: which wins?
Thread poster: Alexandre Chetrite

Alexandre Chetrite
France
Local time: 16:02
English to French
Apr 25, 2016

Hi,

I have SDL Trados 2011 licence, but Fluency new CAT tool seems very promising too. ANd cheap (around 10 US dollars/month subscription instead of the hundred of dollars to acquire the latest version of Trados 2015).

And I wonder: could I use Fluency Now insteatd of Trados 2011 Freelance? Are Trados files all compatible with Fluency CAT tool?

Are there any tasks that I can accomplish with TRADOS that I can't with Fluency?

As I said I have Trados 2011 Freelance, and there has been Trados 2014 and 2015 since and many improvements, whereas Fluency seems to be much more recent.

Your opinion?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

ghislandi  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:02
English to Italian
Information Apr 27, 2016

Hello,
I am from SDL.
There is a page that covers the new features on our wesbite.

http://www.translationzone.com/products/trados-studio/freelance/whats-new.html

The upgrade pricing from SDL Trados Studio 2011 is currently $316.

Kind regards
Massimo


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:02
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
My experience with Fluency (2013) Apr 28, 2016

I bought Fluency 2013 when it came out, based on their claim it would work on Studio files, and on several other file formats. It did (sort of) work, but I had problems with every single project I used the program for: translation of sdlxliff (studio) files, translation of normal MS Word files - whatever file I tried the program on, I had to waste a lot of time extricating myself from some bug. Fluency tech support was prompt and able to solve all issues, but there were issues with every single project. It was like working on an early beta (or even alpha) version of the software, not on a finished product.

After a while, I just stopped trying to use the program. I had bought it with the idea of saving some money by installing it on my laptop, instead of paying for another Studio license, but the program never lived up to what they promised.

Bear in mind that my experience is with Fluency 2013 - the predecessor program to the current "Fluency Now", so they may have improved their software, so check with users of the current version. For myself I wouldn't try the program again unless they provided it to me for free... and even in that case only on short projects if I had a lot of time to spare.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
gkita_fluency
United States
Local time: 07:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
Fluency Now vs SDL Trados May 13, 2016

Alexandre Chetrite wrote:

Hi,

I have SDL Trados 2011 licence, but Fluency new CAT tool seems very promising too. ANd cheap (around 10 US dollars/month subscription instead of the hundred of dollars to acquire the latest version of Trados 2015).

And I wonder: could I use Fluency Now insteatd of Trados 2011 Freelance? Are Trados files all compatible with Fluency CAT tool?

Are there any tasks that I can accomplish with TRADOS that I can't with Fluency?

As I said I have Trados 2011 Freelance, and there has been Trados 2014 and 2015 since and many improvements, whereas Fluency seems to be much more recent.

Your opinion?


Hi Alexandre,

Fluency Now supports a number of different SDL Trados file types, which means you can open them for translation, then save them back out in the proper format for your clients.

Fluency Now is much more compatible with Trados files than ever before, offering support for the following:

- TM import for TMX, SDLTM, TTX, TXT, MDB, ACCDB
- Terminology import for TXT, TBX, SDLTB, XML
- Translation of XLIFF, SDLXLIFF, TTX, WSXZ, SDLPPX, SDLRPX

Note: More formats are supported for each of these items. For a full list, see https://westernstandard.com/Fluency/TranslationSuite.aspx

One of the more recent updates in regards to Trados compatibility in Fluency Now deals with translation packages. Fluency Now offers the ability to work with SDLPPX package files, but can now also work with and save out to SDLRPX return packages (as long as your source file is SDLPPX/RPX).

If you'd like to test Fluency Now for yourself, to see how it works for you, you can download a free two week trial here: https://westernstandard.com/Fluency/Trial.aspx

If you have any additional questions, please let us know at support@westernstandard.com.

Greg Kita
Fluency Support


Direct link Reply with quote
 
gkita_fluency
United States
Local time: 07:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
Fluency Now vs Fluency 2013 May 13, 2016

Riccardo Schiaffino wrote:

I bought Fluency 2013 when it came out, based on their claim it would work on Studio files, and on several other file formats. It did (sort of) work, but I had problems with every single project I used the program for: translation of sdlxliff (studio) files, translation of normal MS Word files - whatever file I tried the program on, I had to waste a lot of time extricating myself from some bug. Fluency tech support was prompt and able to solve all issues, but there were issues with every single project. It was like working on an early beta (or even alpha) version of the software, not on a finished product.

After a while, I just stopped trying to use the program. I had bought it with the idea of saving some money by installing it on my laptop, instead of paying for another Studio license, but the program never lived up to what they promised.

Bear in mind that my experience is with Fluency 2013 - the predecessor program to the current "Fluency Now", so they may have improved their software, so check with users of the current version. For myself I wouldn't try the program again unless they provided it to me for free... and even in that case only on short projects if I had a lot of time to spare.


Hi Riccardo,

I'm sorry to hear that Fluency 2013 didn't work out for you. As you mentioned, there were some items in Fluency 2013 that weren't as compatible with Trados as we would have liked them to be, so we addressed them in the current release of our software, Fluency Now.

Once of the biggest issues was compatibility with Trados package files, which Fluency Now can handle much more efficiently. Fluency Now offers the ability to work with SDLPPX package files, as well as SDLRPX return packages. Advances have been made in other areas as well (like increased compatibility with SDLTM importing).

If you'd like to try out Fluency Now to see how it works in comparison to Fluency 2013, you can download a free trial version here: https://westernstandard.com/Fluency/Trial.aspx

If you have any additional questions, please let us know at support@westernstandard.com.

Greg Kita
Fluency Support


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:02
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
(neither) May 13, 2016

Fluency Now vs SDL Trados: which wins? Neither. They are both terrible.

Get memoQ instead.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:02
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Michael, Michael, Michael.... May 13, 2016

Michael J.W. Beijer wrote:

Fluency Now vs SDL Trados: which wins? Neither. They are both terrible.

Get memoQ instead.


.... what is wrong with Trados Studio? Or is it a matter of taste? Some like "hutspot" and others like "zuurkool" (are 2 different meals). Is there a real difference? (except from taste?)

[Edited at 2016-05-13 22:44 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
CafeTran Training
Netherlands
Local time: 16:02
The real advantages of memoQ? May 14, 2016

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Is there a real difference? (except from taste?)


I know that Michael is extremely busy but it would nevertheless be interesting to read what makes memoQ so much better than Studio, in Michael's opinion.

I have only touched the surface of both CAT tools, but to me they are very alike.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:02
Member (2014)
English to German
But that wasn't the question May 14, 2016

I use Trados and I am planning to get a laptop in order to be a bit more mobile on occasion, however, I think you do have to buy a separate licence to load it on a another machine.

Therefore, I was also thinking of getting a (preferably free) CAT tool that is compatible with Trados. I personally like Memsource, but I don't know whether it is compatible.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:02
Member
English to Italian
+ ...
Plus license May 14, 2016

Gabriele Demuth wrote:

I use Trados and I am planning to get a laptop in order to be a bit more mobile on occasion, however, I think you do have to buy a separate licence to load it on a another machine.


AFAIK, you need a "plus" license to be able to use the program on 2 different computers at the same time, so you could probably just upgrade your current license...


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:02
Member (2014)
English to German
Mirko May 14, 2016

Thanks, I look into that!

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:02
Member
English to Italian
+ ...
Just a side note May 14, 2016

Alexandre Chetrite wrote:

Your opinion?


In general (and without knowing Fluency) I believe much depends on how you use it... If you need interoperability (e.g. to work on clients' servers, with packages, etc.), then probably Studio is much more used and widespread than Fluency...

Also, some months ago Samuel Murray posted some interesting figures about CAT tools usage/preferences: http://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/295031-what_are_the_most_popular_cat_tools_used_or_required_by_translation_agencies.html#2494981


Direct link Reply with quote
 

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:02
English
Licensing May 14, 2016

Gabriele Demuth wrote:

... however, I think you do have to buy a separate licence to load it on a another machine.



Hi Gabriele,

As mentioned, if you want to have both machines in use at the same time you need a plus license (not sure of the price, but probably 30 or 40 euros on top of the one you have).

But if you don't intend to use them at the same time then you don't need another license. You can easily deactivate and reactivate as you switch between machines. It's a couple of clicks each time.

Regards

Paul
Why not try the new SDL Community


Direct link Reply with quote
 

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:02
English
Depends what you want to use them for. May 14, 2016

CafeTran Training wrote:

I have only touched the surface of both CAT tools, but to me they are very alike.


If you need to be able to integrate or wish to do your own development for specific tasks then there is no question. You need SDL Trados.

If you're only translating then it always comes down to personal preference as the core features of so many tools these days are similar. There are things that are better in one tool than another of course and the most important thing is you keep an open mind and take the time to learn as much as you can about the one you wish to use.

Regards

Paul
Why not try the new SDL Community


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:02
Member
English to Italian
+ ...
Not exactly... May 14, 2016

SDL Community wrote:

As mentioned, if you want to have both machines in use at the same time you need a plus license (not sure of the price, but probably 30 or 40 euros on top of the one you have).



I fear it's a teeny weeny bit more expensive than that... From freelance 2015 to freelance plus 2015 it's €160... Not exactly cheap...


Incidentally, this also is one of the objective advantages of MQ over Studio (licenses for 2 machines by default), since someone was asking about this before...


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fluency Now vs SDL Trados: which wins?

Advanced search







CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search