What is the best way to merge TMX files?
Thread poster: jyuan_us

jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:27
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Apr 26, 2016

I didn't put this topic in any CAT tool support forum because I'm trying to figure out the best way for me to put several TMX files into one master TMX file, independent of any CAT tool. Do you have any idea to share? Your help is highly appreciated.

Direct link Reply with quote

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:27
French to English
+ ...
Copy/paste? Apr 26, 2016

Can't you just do it by copying and pasting in say Notepad?

That's what i do for my ordinary TXT files, and even though there's more formattin in the TMX ones, it ought to be easy enough to spot where the header ends and simply leave that bit out?

CafeTran Training
Netherlands
Which tags and properties do you want to save? Apr 26, 2016

I think it depends on the question which tags and properties you want to save. If these don't matter, I guess the easiest way is to use CafeTran. Open a folder with TMX files and save them as one merged TMX file. Three clicks.

If you want to save as many tags and properties as possible, I guess that the Heartsome TMX editor is a good candidate.

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:27
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
No best way Apr 26, 2016

i doubt that there is some best way. There are some tools such as:
https://github.com/amake/SuperTMXMerge/

Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:27
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
the easiest, most reliable way is the Heartsome TMX editor Apr 26, 2016

Second choice: the Okapi Olifant TMX Editor.

MJWB

CafeTran Training
Netherlands
Screencast of how CafeTran merges TMX files Apr 27, 2016

CafeTran Training wrote:

I think it depends on the question which tags and properties you want to save. If these don't matter, I guess the easiest way is to use CafeTran. Open a folder with TMX files and save them as one merged TMX file.

See also: http://www.proz.com/forum/cafetran_support/301414-how_to_easily_combine_tmx_files.html

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 11:27
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Back to basis Apr 27, 2016

jyuan_us wrote:

I didn't put this topic in any CAT tool support forum because I'm trying to figure out the best way for me to put several TMX files into one master TMX file, independent of any CAT tool. Do you have any idea to share? Your help is highly appreciated.

I remind of the most basic syntactic structure of TMX. It consists of a number of columns with special filters. I usually convert TMX into an Excel sheet and I can cut, paste, merge, split or reverse language pair orders of TUs freely.

Soonthon L.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the best way to merge TMX files?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search