Bruno Depascale  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:27
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
May 17, 2016

Hi everybody,
I am looking for a free cat-tool in order to consult my translation memories and my termbases created with trados. I already have a license of trados, but I need an inexpensive cat-tool to use on my netbook just for consultation purposes when I am out of office.
It shouldn't have any limit regarding TM and TB sizes, like Wordfast demo and the like.
Do you know if a such cat-tool exist?
Thank you very much for your help.
Bruno

Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:27
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Xbench or TMLookup May 17, 2016

If all you want to do is consult your translation memories and termbases, Xbench will allow you to do exactly that. There is a free version (the older version), which doesn't handle UTF-8, but if it's just for searching, I doubt this really matters much.

TMLookup will do the same, but with a bit more work maybe for the termbases.

http://www.xbench.net/
http://www.farkastranslations.com/tmlookup.php

MJWB

Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Xbench May 17, 2016

Michael J.W. Beijer wrote:

If all you want to do is consult your translation memories and termbases, Xbench will allow you to do exactly that. There is a free version (the older version), which doesn't handle UTF-8, but if it's just for searching, I doubt this really matters much.

MJWB

Thank you Michael!
I've just downloaded a free version of Xbench. However, as far as I can see, it is only free of charge for 30 days..then it costs about 120 € per year..

[Edited at 2016-05-17 18:50 GMT]

Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Older version May 17, 2016

Bruno Depascale wrote:

MJWB

Thank you Michael!
I've just downloaded a free version of Xbench. However, as far as I can see, it is only free of charge for 30 days..then it costs about 120 € per year..

As Michael was saying, the older version (2.9) is free. Try that and see if it works for you. I think it should, even with relatively "big" (as in several hundred MBs) memories.

Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:27
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
make sure you get "ApSIC Xbench 2.9" May 17, 2016

Bruno Depascale wrote:

MJWB

Thank you Michael!

You need to download: "ApSIC Xbench 2.9"

MJWB

Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
previous version May 18, 2016

You need to download: "ApSIC Xbench 2.9"

MJWB

Sorry Michael, I didn't read well your post.
I'll download the previous version then.
Thank you for your help!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

free cat tool for consultation purposes

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search