Thread poster: Terese Whitty

Terese Whitty
United States
Local time: 08:48
Member (2004)
English to Swedish
May 6, 2005

Hello fellow translators,

I have received an SDL-file that I can translate in SDLX Lite. However to be able to use the TM more effectively, I exported the file into Trados Tag Editor format (I have Trados Freelance 6.5) Now I want to harvest the file back into the SDL-file but it says that the number of translation units are not the same. Can anyone please tell me what I can do about this? Thank you in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote

Stefan Keller  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:48
English to German
Different segmentation rules? May 7, 2005

Hi Terese,

This could be caused by segmentation rule differences between SDLX and Trados. Unfortunately, with the Lite version of SDLX, I'm afraid there's little you can do. If you had at least the Standard version, you could import your Trados TM into the SDLX TM and simply apply to the ITD file. Alternatively, if the file is not too huge, you could try and find the segmentation differences and maybe adopt the TTX file to match the ITD.

Is Trados' TM funcionality really that much more flexible in your view? I can't really subscribe to this... Then again, I don't know how comprehensive the Lite version is today...

Do you have a colleague who owns SDLX Standard or Professional? You could create a fresh TM from your TTX, export it to txt, have your colleague import it into an SDLX TM (watch the correct language flavours, though), and finally you can apply it to the ITD file.

I'd also offer you this service, should push come to shove...

Best regards,
Stefan

Terese Whitty
United States
Local time: 08:48
Member (2004)
English to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Stefan! May 7, 2005

I will just buy the SDLX. I get so many jobs from this client anyway. I solved it the manual way this time, by copying and pasting but have heard so many good things about SDLX.

Stefan Keller  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:48
English to German
Excellent Choice :-) May 7, 2005

Hi Terese,

This, of course, is the best option you could have chosen in your case...

Enjoy,
Stefan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation units not the same when harvesting into SDLX

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search