Thread poster: Jeannie Graham
Jeannie Graham
Jeannie Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:53
German to English
+ ...
Jun 6, 2002

Does anyone know a way of doing a word count on power point slides.

I have hundreds of Power Point slides in a file that I need to quote on. The left hand column lists the headings and I can get a count on this by pasting into Word, but I cannot find a way (besides counting manually) of establishing a word count for each of the individual files.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Russell Gillis
Russell Gillis  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:53
Spanish to English
File Properties Jun 6, 2002

Hi,

If you go under File/Properties, and then click on the Statistics tab, it will list a number of statistics, including the number of words in the presentation.

Hope this helps!

Marisapad
Marisapad  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:53
English to Italian
+ ...
try this: Jun 6, 2002

go to File, then select Properties (the last command of the File menu, before the list of the last opened files).

Then select the tab \"Statistics\", in the bottom white field you should be able to see the word count.

This is a long work if you have many files, but the only known for PowerPoint.

hth

marisa

Bob Kerns (X)
Bob Kerns (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Charge by the hour Jun 6, 2002

In my experience it takes much longer to translate a PowerPoint file than a Word file with the same number of words so I always charge by the hour for PowerPoint work. ALL of my customers, both agencies and end customers, have accepted my standpoint on this and I have never had any problems. So forget about counting words or lines or characters and just charge an acceptable hourly rate.

Good luck ...
See more
In my experience it takes much longer to translate a PowerPoint file than a Word file with the same number of words so I always charge by the hour for PowerPoint work. ALL of my customers, both agencies and end customers, have accepted my standpoint on this and I have never had any problems. So forget about counting words or lines or characters and just charge an acceptable hourly rate.

Good luck

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-06-06 15:54 ]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Agree with Robert Jun 6, 2002

Translating text in PowerPoint files can be tricky, (i) because the software isn\'t equipped to handle text as MS Word is and (ii) because differences in text length between source and target may force you to re-format slides.

When I translate .ppt files, I apply a fixed charge per slide (which is higher than the normal line-based translation rate).

Sarah Downing
Sarah Downing  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:53
German to English
+ ...
What about wordcount per line (55 characters)? Jun 6, 2002

I\'ve often had this problem myself and as I am based in Germany, where prices tend to be per line (55 characters), things can get a bit tricky. I basically agree that it is better to do such jobs at an hourly rate, but when you get agency work, it\'s sometimes difficult to do that, when they have charged their customers per line. Has anyone got any suggestions as to a good way of doing a character count, other than the laborious process of copy and paste into Word. I know there are certain prog... See more
I\'ve often had this problem myself and as I am based in Germany, where prices tend to be per line (55 characters), things can get a bit tricky. I basically agree that it is better to do such jobs at an hourly rate, but when you get agency work, it\'s sometimes difficult to do that, when they have charged their customers per line. Has anyone got any suggestions as to a good way of doing a character count, other than the laborious process of copy and paste into Word. I know there are certain programmes such as Trados or Acrobat Exchange, which can be used - I think to import the file - but unfortunately I don\'t have any of them.Collapse

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Powerpoint --> PDF --> RTF Jun 6, 2002

Another possibility is to create a pdf file and save this to rtf.

With kind regards

Hans

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Definitely charging per slide Jun 6, 2002

Perhhaps it is not an \"industry standard\" yet, but there is a general agreement that PowerPoint slides should be charged in a different manner than Word files. In my case it is fixed price per slide (total is slightly higher than the amount based on word count) and this reflect 1) extra time for formatting 2) more difficult translation (lack of context, abbreviated language, etc). Still, it is worth to make the actual word count before determining the per slide price. I usually copy everything... See more
Perhhaps it is not an \"industry standard\" yet, but there is a general agreement that PowerPoint slides should be charged in a different manner than Word files. In my case it is fixed price per slide (total is slightly higher than the amount based on word count) and this reflect 1) extra time for formatting 2) more difficult translation (lack of context, abbreviated language, etc). Still, it is worth to make the actual word count before determining the per slide price. I usually copy everything to Word (oldfashioned )

Magda

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-06-06 17:03 ]
Collapse

Catherine Bolton
Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
charge a higher per-word price Jun 6, 2002

That\'s what I do. It makes it easier for all parties to quantify.

I use the statistics features, take the number of words and charge my price per word plus 25% more. In other words, if your usual price is 10 cents a word, for a job in PowerPoint you charge 12.5 cents/word.

That way, no surprises for anyone.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-06-06 18:34 ]

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:53
German to English
+ ...
I also charge hourly Jun 7, 2002

for these because of the reformatting issues and embedded charts and graphics. I use a rule of thumb (based on experience) of 4 slides per hour plus/minus 2-3 depending on how \"full\" they are - German ones tend to have entire novels on a single slide...

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Charging per slide or per hour Jun 7, 2002

Leave your fingers for charging per word, character or line in Powerpoint.

You´ll be very surprised, when you see how much time it takes to translate 20 slides with only 200 lines. Usually translating in Word it should be ready in 3 hours, but you will need 4+ hours with Powerpoint.

And the number of words you get via properties does not contain extra words in text boxes or pictures - and it can be a lot.

Charge per hour or per slide. IMHO one should be able to tra
... See more
Leave your fingers for charging per word, character or line in Powerpoint.

You´ll be very surprised, when you see how much time it takes to translate 20 slides with only 200 lines. Usually translating in Word it should be ready in 3 hours, but you will need 4+ hours with Powerpoint.

And the number of words you get via properties does not contain extra words in text boxes or pictures - and it can be a lot.

Charge per hour or per slide. IMHO one should be able to translate about 4-5 slides per hour.

Kind regards

Jerzy
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

word count in power point

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »