Support for xliff 2.0 and later
Thread poster: Alyssa Yorgan

Alyssa Yorgan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:04
Russian to English
Jul 27

I'm trying to figure out which major tools offer support for the xliff 2.0/2.1 standards. I know that two tools that I use regularly (CafeTran, Swordfish) will export xliff 1.2 files if you translate a .pptx, for example. Any links to resources would be greatly appreciated, as I have had trouble finding this information.

 

Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:04
Member (2015)
English to French
+ ...
XLIFF 2.0 Jul 27

Hello Alyssa,

XLIFF 2.0 is not a widely implemented standard yet (also, it is NOT backwards compatible with XLIFF 1.2 files) and I don't know any CAT tool that can import a native format (say a DOCX or PPTX file), create a XLIFF 2.0, and then export back a translated DOCX and PPTX.

So, do you want to find tools that create XLIFF 2.0 files out of original source files or simply tools that can handle/translate already created XLIFF 2.0 files?


Tools to create XLIFF 2.0 documents:

The Okapi XLIFF Toolkit is a library that implements a set of Java components to create, read and manipulate XLIFF 2 documents:

https://bitbucket.org/okapiframework/xliff-toolkit

This link provides more pointers, as well as a link to access test XLIFF 2.0 docs

Does anybody know other tools to create XLIFF 2 documents?

Online validation tool for XLIFF 2.0 documents: https://okapi-lynx.appspot.com/validation


Tools that handle already created XLIFF 2.0 files

Okapi Framework and OmegaT (via its Okapi filters) support an experimental XLIFF 2.0 filter: https://okapiframework.org/wiki/index.php?title=XLIFF-2_Filter and http://okapiframework.org/wiki/index.php?title=Okapi_Filters_Plugin_for_OmegaT#Support_for_XLIFF_2

I know CafeTran Espresso features an experimental filter for XLIFF 2.0 files as well: https://github.com/idimitriadis0/TheCafeTranFiles/wiki/4-File-formats#xliff-20

Memsource also supports them: https://help.memsource.com/hc/en-us/articles/360004593692-XLIFF-2-0


Tools that do not handle XLIFF 2.0 yet

Unless mistaken, the following tools do NOT handle the XLIFF file format:

MemoQ does only handle XLIFF 1.2: https://help.memoq.com/8-4/en/Places/xliff-files.html

Déjà Vu does not seem to handle them, at least this is not specified in the supported formats: https://atrilsolutions.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/205383202-Supported-File-Formats

SDL Trados Studio does not specify this in the supported file types: http://producthelp.sdl.com/sdl_trados_studio_2015/client_en/FileTypes/Supported-File-Types.html

WordFast Pro 3|5: No such information found on the specifications page or otherwise

[Edited at 2018-07-27 19:56 GMT]


 

Alyssa Yorgan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:04
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Aug 1

Jean,

Thank you so much for your detailed response! I downloaded the Okapi framework to play around with. I don't currently have any clients that are sending XLIFF 2.0 docs, but I am curious to see if there will eventually be more of a push to adopt it.


 

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:04
English
Studio has handled XLIFF 2.0 for several years Aug 2

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

Tools that do not handle XLIFF 2.0 yet

Unless mistaken, the following tools do NOT handle the XLIFF file format:

MemoQ does only handle XLIFF 1.2: https://help.memoq.com/8-4/en/Places/xliff-files.html

Déjà Vu does not seem to handle them, at least this is not specified in the supported formats: https://atrilsolutions.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/205383202-Supported-File-Formats

SDL Trados Studio does not specify this in the supported file types: http://producthelp.sdl.com/sdl_trados_studio_2015/client_en/FileTypes/Supported-File-Types.html

WordFast Pro 3|5: No such information found on the specifications page or otherwise

[Edited at 2018-07-27 19:56 GMT]


XLIFF 2.0 has been handled in Studio since Studio 2015. I don't think the help was updated but if I look in the filetype options XLIFF 2.0 is there. If you look at the 2017 and 2019 versions help you'll find information in there.


 

Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 00:04
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Help not updated Aug 2

They have just released an entire new version that is focused on improving the help system, and it still has obsolete topics? Interesting...

[Edited at 2018-08-02 07:02 GMT]


 

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:04
English
I was referring to 2015... Aug 2

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:

They have just released an entire new version that is focused on improving the help system, and it still has obsolete topics? Interesting...

[Edited at 2018-08-02 07:02 GMT]


... what are you talking about?


 

Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:04
Member (2015)
English to French
+ ...
SDL Trados and XLIFF 2.0 Aug 2

Hello SDL Community,

Thank you for this information.

Can you (or anyone with a copy of SDL Trados readily available) please confirm that the XLIFF 2.0 is supported in SDL Trados 2015 by testing an actual XLIFF 2.0 file?

If it is, it could be a good idea to make that info publicly available in the supported file formats page. XLIFF 2.0 is not backwards compatible, so I guess it should get a separate filter entry.

If not in the 2015 version, from what version onwards does SDL Trados handle such files?

You can get a set of valid and invalid XLIFF 2 documents to test if a XLIFF 2 user agent is reading documents properly here: https://tools.oasis-open.org/version-control/browse/wsvn/xliff/trunk/xliff-20/test-suite/

To make sure your test file is a valid XLIFF 2.0: https://okapi-lynx.appspot.com/validation

A quick example of a XLIFF 2.0 file can be found here: https://pastebin.com/raw/ChsrT6EC Paste in a text editor and save with the .xlf extension

[Edited at 2018-08-02 09:57 GMT]


 

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:04
English
Tested... Aug 2

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

Hello SDL Community,

Thank you for this information.

Can you (or anyone with a copy of SDL Trados readily available) please confirm that the XLIFF 2.0 is supported in SDL Trados 2015 by testing an actual XLIFF 2.0 file?

If it is, it could be a good idea to make that info publicly available in the supported file formats page. XLIFF 2.0 is not backwards compatible, so I guess it should get a separate filter entry.

If not in the 2015 version, from what version onwards does SDL Trados handle such files?

You can get a set of valid and invalid XLIFF 2 documents to test if a XLIFF 2 user agent is reading documents properly here: https://tools.oasis-open.org/version-control/browse/wsvn/xliff/trunk/xliff-20/test-suite/

To make sure your test file is a valid XLIFF 2.0: https://okapi-lynx.appspot.com/validation

A quick example of a XLIFF 2.0 file can be found here: https://pastebin.com/raw/ChsrT6EC Paste in a text editor and save with the .xlf extension

[Edited at 2018-08-02 09:57 GMT]


I downloaded some files from the OASIS XLIFF Repository you shared, they can all be opened for Studio 2015 SR3 latest version. I doubt we'll spend time updating the help for that version as there have been two major releases since then and it is documented in the last two major versions of Studio. You shared a link to a help that is already 4-years old. I don't remember the history on this but I guess we added support for XLIFF 2.0 in one of the later service packs and this was probably done to support workflows where 2017, and now 2019, is used as the initiating project.

Regards

Paul
http://xl8.one


 

Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:04
Member (2015)
English to French
+ ...
Thanks! Aug 2

Thank you for taking some time to test this. So it is safe to assume that SDL Trados handles XLIFF 2.0 files from version 2015 SR3 onwards (the initial release didn't, but the standard was first published in 2014, so it makes sense).

I can't edit my initial post, but I hope this information will be useful to anyone reading this thread.

Jean


 

Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:04
English to Spanish
Swordfish supports XLIFF 2.0 Aug 25

Alyssa Yorgan wrote:

I'm trying to figure out which major tools offer support for the xliff 2.0/2.1 standards. I know that two tools that I use regularly (CafeTran, Swordfish) will export xliff 1.2 files if you translate a .pptx, for example. Any links to resources would be greatly appreciated, as I have had trouble finding this information.


Current version of Swordfish allows you to convert XLIFF 1.2 to XLIFF 2.0 and XLIFF 2.0 to 1.2.

If you receive an XLIFF 2.0 file, convert it to 1.2 and translate with Swordfish. When you finish, convert the translated XLIFF 1.2 back to 2.0 and deliver.

Regards,
Rodolfo


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Support for xliff 2.0 and later

Advanced search







Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search