https://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/32995-assigning_priority_ratings_to_particular_tms_tbs_or_individual_tus.html

Assigning priority ratings to particular TMs, TBs or individual TUs
Thread poster: Mark Smith
Mark Smith
Mark Smith  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:42
German to English
+ ...
Jun 2, 2005

I am doing a piece of work as part of my MA in Translation Studies for the European Space Agency, who are evaluating TM packages for a future purchase. In the brief, they ask for the following:

"Useful to know whether it is possible to assign priority ratings to particular sources. For example, though a translated, revised text would have full approval rating, certain fundamental ESA texts (Convention, Financial, Regulations etc.) would have ‘super-reliability’ rating."
<
... See more
I am doing a piece of work as part of my MA in Translation Studies for the European Space Agency, who are evaluating TM packages for a future purchase. In the brief, they ask for the following:

"Useful to know whether it is possible to assign priority ratings to particular sources. For example, though a translated, revised text would have full approval rating, certain fundamental ESA texts (Convention, Financial, Regulations etc.) would have ‘super-reliability’ rating."

Does anyone know if this kind of thing is made possible by any software tool? I know Transit has the concept of reference files, but I don't know of any rating system. Do you know of any tools where you can rate one TM as being a first one to check for matches or anything of that kind.

Thanks a lot,
Mark Smith

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-06-02 22:08]

[Edited at 2005-06-07 19:48]
Collapse

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
Local time: 23:42
German to English
+ ...
Trados Jun 2, 2005

Hello

Trados uses filtering for this purpose.
You can define attributes for the translations and give translation units with matching attributes a priorisation in the translation process.
Then you can use XTranslaet (or Context TM) for pretranslating files against a revised preversion of a document.

If your will use the TM-Server technology (not really a low price solution) there some more possibilities.

Hans

[Edited at 2005-06-02 20:40]

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:42
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Wordfast Jun 3, 2005

In Wordfast it is the other way around but the results are the same. From the manual:

"Applying penalties based on attributes.
Penalties are numbers entered between parentheses. A penalty lowers the percentage of analogy of a TU when it is found in the TM (if Wordfast finds a 100% match in the TM, but one of the TUs attribute values has a penalty of 5, the analogy rate will be lowered to 95%).

There are two types of penalties: absolute penalties and relative penal
... See more
In Wordfast it is the other way around but the results are the same. From the manual:

"Applying penalties based on attributes.
Penalties are numbers entered between parentheses. A penalty lowers the percentage of analogy of a TU when it is found in the TM (if Wordfast finds a 100% match in the TM, but one of the TUs attribute values has a penalty of 5, the analogy rate will be lowered to 95%).

There are two types of penalties: absolute penalties and relative penalties.

Absolute penalties: are defined for attribute values (i.e., items in the drop-down list). When Wordfast proposes a TU which has that attribute value, it will receive the corresponding penalty.
Example: your translator ID is JB John Bisham. You import, in your TM, 200 TUs coming from another translator whose ID is MT Mark Tweed. You wish to unconditionally apply a penalty of 5 to propositions coming from TUs created by Mark Tweed.
Create or edit the MT Mark Tweed attribute entry so it reads MT Mark Tweed (5). From then on, every time a proposition comes from a TU created by Mark Tweed, it will have a penalty of 5. As a result, a Mark Tweed TU will never appear green.

Relative penalties: are defined per attribute (in the attribute caption). These penalties will be applied if the particular TUs attribute value is different from the attribute value of the current session (as you defined it in Wordfast's TM Attributes section).

Example: you apply a relative penalty of 8 to the User ID attribute. Edit the User ID caption so it reads User ID (8) . From then on, if a TU's User ID is different from the one currently defined - supposedly your ID - then the TU will receive a penalty of 8, regardless of which translator it is.

Absolute and relative penalties are cumulative. So, if Mark Tweed already has an absolute penalty of 5, and the entire User ID category has a relative penalty of 8, then a TU with Mark Tweed will receive a total penalty of 13."

You can set penalties for any attribute.

Regards,
Gerard

P.S. I just saw you're talking about TMs, not TUs. The above method would still work but will become more complicated. First of all you would need a Background TM. This one would have priority but only serves 100% matches. Use Xtrans! to select other TMs with TUs with penalties. Creating a project TM would work too.

Gerard

[Edited at 2005-06-03 08:38]
Collapse

Mark Smith
Mark Smith  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:42
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Complex issue...?! Jun 7, 2005

So basically this is a VERY complex issue then? Most of what you have written went right over my head. I guess information on Translation Memory and Terminology matches would both be useful, though if it is so complex, I am not sure if the people I am writing this appraisal for (ESA Translation Service), who have no TM experience will really want to know.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Assigning priority ratings to particular TMs, TBs or individual TUs

Translation news related to CAT tools

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »