https://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/33283-sdlx_2005%3A_preview_translation_impossible.html

SDLX 2005: "Preview Translation" impossible
Thread poster: Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:54
Member (2003)
German to French
Jun 11, 2005

Hello,

I've been using SDLX 2005 for two weeks now and I just completed a project of ca. 30000 words, divided into 3 ITD files (originated from Word files).
I used the function "Preview Translation" to proofread the first file without any problem. But the second one (the biggest one) won't open in Word.
I get an error message from Word which says
"Impossible to open the document. Try the following operations : in the File menu, click Open to open the file.
Check if the document has a .doc extension".

The Word document appears in the folder, so it was "created", but i can not open it. The third document opens without problem too...

Since this is my first (and hopefully my last ) work with SDLX, I really have no clue...

Any hint ?
Many thanks in advance!
Sylvain

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:54
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Try with Create translation Jun 11, 2005

Hi Sylvain,

It has happened to me only once with SDLX older versions. I didn't understand what had happened exactly, but remembered to have used the Preview option quite often (wanted to see the HTML code to know where to place words). Since then I have stopped previewing translations and prefer do the proofreading in SDLX and a final
check on the "created translation".

Anyway, have you tried with "Create translation"? If this doesn't work, I am afraid you have to
... See more
Hi Sylvain,

It has happened to me only once with SDLX older versions. I didn't understand what had happened exactly, but remembered to have used the Preview option quite often (wanted to see the HTML code to know where to place words). Since then I have stopped previewing translations and prefer do the proofreading in SDLX and a final
check on the "created translation".

Anyway, have you tried with "Create translation"? If this doesn't work, I am afraid you have to re-import the original file in SDLX Edit module and apply your TM. I'd skip the preview and create directly the translated file.

Giuliana

P.S. delete the file created with the preview

[Edited at 2005-06-11 11:49]
Collapse

Geneviève von Levetzow
Geneviève von Levetzow  Identity Verified
French to German
+ ...
"Open and repair" Jun 11, 2005

Sylvain,

1) Open Word

2) File > Open and Repair (in my German version of Word it is 'Öffnen und Reparieren')

3) Accept all changes.

4) Close the file.

The new Version of SDLX is very sensible with corrupt Word documents.

The best is always to work with the project Wizard.

Geneviève:)

PS: Hätte lieber Deutsch oder Französisch geschrieben, denke, ist aber auch für andere hilfreich. Hatte le
... See more
Sylvain,

1) Open Word

2) File > Open and Repair (in my German version of Word it is 'Öffnen und Reparieren')

3) Accept all changes.

4) Close the file.

The new Version of SDLX is very sensible with corrupt Word documents.

The best is always to work with the project Wizard.

Geneviève:)

PS: Hätte lieber Deutsch oder Französisch geschrieben, denke, ist aber auch für andere hilfreich. Hatte letze Woche genau das Problem.
Collapse

Sylvain Leray
Member (2003)
German to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 11, 2005

Thank you Giuliana, I will give it a try... but it sounds not so great if I must re-generate the ITD file

Geneviève, I don't have the command "Open and repair" in the File menu of Word (version 2002)... I only have "Detect and repair" in the "?" Menu, but I must insert the MSOffice CD-Rom to perform this action...

Sylvain

Sylvain Leray
Member (2003)
German to French
TOPIC STARTER
Create translation doesn't work Jun 11, 2005

Well, I tried "create translation" and the Word file was created "successfully"... but won't open neither.

So I tried to generate a new ITD file with the original Word file and to apply the TM... and what surprises me is that I don't get 100% matches for all segments ! Some segments show only a 70 or 80 match, although I translated them with the same TM!

I really don't know what to do...

ENGSOL
ENGSOL
German to English
+ ...
SDLX Yahoo Group Jun 11, 2005

Sylvain,

I have SDLX 2004 but I seldom use the Preview function. I can't think of a solution to your problem, but here are my two cents anyway...

Sylvain Leray wrote:

Well, I tried "create translation" and the Word file was created "successfully"... but won't open neither.

So I tried to generate a new ITD file with the original Word file and to apply the TM... and what surprises me is that I don't get 100% matches for all segments ! Some segments show only a 70 or 80 match, although I translated them with the same TM!

Did you update the TM (from the old itd file, i.e. before your Preview operation) before you applied it to your new itd?

Another possibility is that your original Word file is corrupted (since the other files seem to be working fine).

I really don't know what to do...

You might want to post your question on the SDLX Yahoo Group. Lots of friendly, helpful people there...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sdlx/

Thomas

[Edited at 2005-06-11 22:57]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLX 2005: "Preview Translation" impossible

Translation news related to CAT tools

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »