https://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/34935-choosing_a_cat_tool_for_japanese_translator.html

Choosing a CAT tool for Japanese translator
Thread poster: Jo-Hanna Goettsche
Jo-Hanna Goettsche
Jo-Hanna Goettsche  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:05
English to Spanish
Jul 21, 2005

Hi,

My boss has just informed that we are going to be hiring somebody to do English-Japanese translation. He brought up the idea of getting this person a CAT tool and was asking for my recommendations.

For the record:
1) As you can see from my language pairs, I am not familiar with translation to/from Japanese or any other non-Western language.

2) I have experimented with several trial versions of CAT tools. I ended up using (and loving) Deja Vu X at
... See more
Hi,

My boss has just informed that we are going to be hiring somebody to do English-Japanese translation. He brought up the idea of getting this person a CAT tool and was asking for my recommendations.

For the record:
1) As you can see from my language pairs, I am not familiar with translation to/from Japanese or any other non-Western language.

2) I have experimented with several trial versions of CAT tools. I ended up using (and loving) Deja Vu X at work, and buying TRADOS for my freelance work (before it got bought by SDLX, of course).

3) Cost-effectiveness (and to a certain degree, price) is an issue.

Any recommendations from those who use CAT tools for Japanese? Thanks.

[Edited at 2005-07-21 16:14]
Collapse

Momoka (X)
Momoka (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:05
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
Ask that person first Jul 22, 2005

Hi, Jo-Hanna.
Well, I don't do translations into Japanese, so I can't make any recommendation on CATs for that language pair. Anyway, a CAT is something the user should feel comfortable with so, why doesn't your boss ask the person first? He/she might have his/her own preferences, as you do.
Good luck!

Hermann Bruns
Hermann Bruns  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:05
English to German
MetaTexis Jul 22, 2005

Hello Jo-Hanna,

MetaTexis offers very good value for money and is easy to use.

You can download a trial version here: www.metatexis.com

Best regards
Hermann

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 12:05
English to German
+ ...
Since Trados 7.0 supports Unicode Jul 22, 2005

Hello J-Hanna
it should be able to realize this with Trados 7.0 as it supports Unicode.Did you try that.! Best Brandis

Jo-Hanna Goettsche
Jo-Hanna Goettsche  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:05
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to all! Jul 22, 2005

Thanks to all for taking the time to write your suggestions. I e-mailed a list of popular CAT tools to my boss and suggested to him that the new translator download the trial versions and experiment with them.

[Edited at 2005-07-22 15:36]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Choosing a CAT tool for Japanese translator

Translation news related to CAT tools

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »