Thread poster: Silvia Gentili
Silvia Gentili
Silvia Gentili  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 07:25
English to Spanish
Aug 26, 2005

Hello,

I was explained how to import an txt TM into SDLX memory; but I am quite new with SDLX and I do not know which is the DSLX dashborad...

Could somebodu help me?
Thank oyu a lot !!!

Romuald Pawlikowski
Romuald Pawlikowski  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:25
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
SDLX dashboard Aug 26, 2005

If you you use full version of SDLX, SDLX dashboard is the small window that you see when you click SDLX menu item (menu path: Start/(All) Programs/SDL International/SDLX/SDLX). Depending on your version there are such entries as: Analyze, Align etc.

You need to find Maintain. Using this component you can do all tasks related to maintaining the TM. In the SDL Maintain window you have to open your TM and use TM/Import menu.

If you use the Lite version, then I am afraid y
... See more
If you you use full version of SDLX, SDLX dashboard is the small window that you see when you click SDLX menu item (menu path: Start/(All) Programs/SDL International/SDLX/SDLX). Depending on your version there are such entries as: Analyze, Align etc.

You need to find Maintain. Using this component you can do all tasks related to maintaining the TM. In the SDL Maintain window you have to open your TM and use TM/Import menu.

If you use the Lite version, then I am afraid you won't be able to import.
Collapse

Anjo Sterringa
Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Same question - option is grey when opening maintain Aug 26, 2005

I was trying to find out how to import a TRADOS TM into SDLX. I am somewhat familiar with SDLX (did aligning, maintainin TM's etc), but if you open maintain, the options to import a TRADOS TM are grey (and I do have a licence - standard version 2005). Then I thought - maybe I have to open a TM first? But of course you can only open SDLX (Access) TM's. I tried to see 'all files' and tried to open a TRADOS TM - not possible.
Would it be possible if I first export that TM in TRADOS as a .txt
... See more
I was trying to find out how to import a TRADOS TM into SDLX. I am somewhat familiar with SDLX (did aligning, maintainin TM's etc), but if you open maintain, the options to import a TRADOS TM are grey (and I do have a licence - standard version 2005). Then I thought - maybe I have to open a TM first? But of course you can only open SDLX (Access) TM's. I tried to see 'all files' and tried to open a TRADOS TM - not possible.
Would it be possible if I first export that TM in TRADOS as a .txt file? Mystified.....
Collapse

Romuald Pawlikowski
Romuald Pawlikowski  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Trados TXT TM Aug 26, 2005

Anjo Sterringa wrote:

Would it be possible if I first export that TM in TRADOS as a .txt file?

Definitely you need to use Trados memory exported to txt file.

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:25
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
First open a SDLX TM Aug 27, 2005

Hi Anjo,

I was trying to find out how to import a TRADOS TM into SDLX. I am somewhat familiar with SDLX (did aligning, maintainin TM's etc), but if you open maintain, the options to import a TRADOS TM are grey (and I do have a licence - standard version 2005). Then I thought - maybe I have to open a TM first?

Yes, first open a valid SDLX TM. If you don't, all import options are greyed out and out of all export options, only File List to Trados... is available (this happens because in this case you open a Trados file instead of a Trados TM)

But of course you can only open SDLX (Access) TM's. I tried to see 'all files' and tried to open a TRADOS TM - not possible.

Err.. yes, of course. Once you have opened a SDLX TM, click on the dropdown menu TM, choose Import ==> Trados and follow steps. Of course, before importing into SDLX, you have to export the Trados TM (using Trados TWB) into a *.txt file. If you have received the Trados TM in *.txt format, just select the Trados export *.txt file and import it as described.

Would it be possible if I first export that TM in TRADOS as a .txt file?

Well, you have to export the Trados TM before being able to import it into a SDLX TM - open the SDLX TM in SDLX module Maintain or create a SDLX TM first, then import the Trados export *.txt file.

Giuliana

Anjo Sterringa
Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
I've now understood the 'logic' Aug 27, 2005

Thanks! I remember I had a similar problem in TRADOS, when importing a TM - I had a TM open and the imported TM was added to the then open TM. I always though that 'importing' would be just 'converting'. I will now create or open an SDLX TM and then import the 'TRADOS-exported' txt file.
I left a few steps out then....
Anjo

Silvia Gentili
Silvia Gentili  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 07:25
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
thank you much for everybod's help Aug 29, 2005

Thank you very much to all who have helped me to import an txt to sdlx TM

Slvia Gentili

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

txt TM into SDLX memory

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »