CAT tools without Microsofy Word
Thread poster: Joshua Carmody
Joshua Carmody  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:14
Japanese to English
Sep 29, 2005

I'm thinking of getting some CAT software, and I noticed that a lot of the packages people are using (Wordfast, for example), require that you have Microsoft Word and use the program as an add-on. Personally, I use Sun Microsystem's OpenOffice to open Word and Excel files, and would rather not buy Microsoft Office if I can avoid it. I was wondering, which of the CAT programs stand on their own? Does Trados require Word? How about the other software packages? Is there any other software I'd need to have? Any insights anyone can provide would be appreciated. Thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:14
English to Spanish
Heartsome Translation Suite Sep 29, 2005

I was wondering, which of the CAT programs stand on their own?

Hi,

Heartsome Translation Suite does not require MS Word. Take a look at http://www.heartsome.net

Rodolfo

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:14
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
DejaVu and SDLX Sep 30, 2005

Joshua Carmody wrote:
...I was wondering, which of the CAT programs stand on their own? Does Trados require Word? How about the other software packages?

Dear Joshua,

DejaVu and SDLX have an internal editor and do not require MS Word.

Gianfranco

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 17:14
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Trados 7 can handle Word-files in TagEditor Sep 30, 2005

But I haven't tried it yet, only installed the new version only yesterday. For OpenOffice there is a CAT tool, but it is not compatible to other CATs.
Regards
Heinrich

Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:14
English to German
+ ...
.. Sep 30, 2005

I am not sure about SDLX and DejaVu, but I know that Trados still requires Word, even if it can handle Word files in TagEditor. It needs the software in the background to extract the text.

Sonja

P.S. OmegaT is an open-source software that works with OpenOffice files. There is currently a beta release that handles sentence-segmentation and other features. Heinrich mentions it is not compatible with other CATs, which is IMHO not completely true. It is slowly becoming better.

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
SDLX Sep 30, 2005

Sonja Tomaskovic wrote:

I am not sure about SDLX and DejaVu, but I know that Trados still requires Word, even if it can handle Word files in TagEditor. It needs the software in the background to extract the text.

I think SDLX does the same (but I'm also not 100% sure).

Robert Tucker
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:14
German to English
+ ...
Transolution Sep 30, 2005

This will also work with OOo documents. One needs to extract the content.xml from the OOo file and then re-archive the translated output, but it is a good stable CAT tool once you've got it going.

It can produce a TMX 1.4. Apart from a need to convert the encoding from UTF-8 to UTF-16, if Trados cannot read it, I think it may well be for Trados to specify the particular format of TMX 1.4 Trados needs.

(The same applies to an OmegaT produced TMX 1.1 converted to TMX 1.4)

http://transolution.python-hosting.com/

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
No-one mentioned OmegaT yet? Sep 30, 2005

Joshua Carmody wrote:
Personally, I use Sun Microsystem's OpenOffice to open Word and Excel files...

OpenOffice.org is not a Sun Microsystems product, AFAIK.

...and would rather not buy Microsoft Office if I can avoid it. I was wondering, which of the CAT programs stand on their own?

OmegaT (requires Java, but handles OpenOffice formats natively).

Does Trados require Word?

I'm under the impression that you can translate using Trados even though you don't have MS Word, but only if the MS Word file had been preprepared in some what so that it is in another format which can be read by Trados, so I'm not sure.

Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
No one mentioned OmegaT yet? Sep 30, 2005

Yes, Samuel, I did.

Joshua Carmody  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:14
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone. Sep 30, 2005

Thanks for your help everyone. Given that the overall situation seems to be that most people are pretty sure that most of the tools require MS Word, I suppose I might as well get a copy after all. I was intending to get Trados, and I figured "why buy a copy of MS word if the functionality's already built in?". But, that's ok. Word isn't *that* expensive. Thanks again.

Samuel Murray wrote:

OpenOffice.org is, in fact, a Sun Microsystems product. Sun's logo and copyright notice are on the bottom of every page on the website, as well as on the program's splash screen when you open it.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
OOo and Sun Oct 1, 2005

Joshua Carmody wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:

OpenOffice.org is, in fact, a Sun Microsystems product. Sun's logo and copyright notice are on the bottom of every page on the website, as well as on the program's splash screen when you open it.

I guess it's a question of semantics, then.

From the Sun web site:
http://www.sun.com/software/star/openoffice/index.xml
"OpenOffice.org is an open-source project, home of the OpenOffice.org software, the most widely distributed open-source multi-platform productivity suite. The OpenOffice.org community was founded by Sun Microsystems in 2000. An active community, of which Sun is a key member, enhances and supports the OpenOffice.org office suite."

From the OOo web site:
http://about.openoffice.org/index.html
"Sun continues to sponsor development on OpenOffice.org and is the primary contributor of code to OpenOffice.org. ... OpenOffice.org is governed by an elected body, the Community Council."

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT tools without Microsofy Word

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search